• ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You are right, my money, my opinion.

If the weed eater strips the siding off, and I can put my foot through the sheathing, it is NOT engineered enough for me. There are entire shopping districts in the City of Chicago that have been there since the the 1800's. We accept as common for new construction store buildings.buildings to cave in the roof at a heavy rain or snow fall. All the tri levels on the H&H ruth addition on 45th ave that split the ceilings because the engineers cut corners on the design. There is a neighborhood in the north end of Crown point where they engineered homes that sit on failing plywood foundations. In addition the ductwork for the counter flow furnaces fill with water. In the southern part of the state is a lot of homes that the siding was the sheathing and it was made of masonite. The first water leak started some serious and expensive decay with black mold..

To some, my requirements may be over built. Engineers who work for bean counters are not doing their work to insure the quality of your purchase. If you are making a 30 year mortgage and start having structural problems and every big wind strips your siding off, you would not like it. The two story across from me has lost its siding and gotten water damage 3 times since 2012. she thinks it is criminal.

I don't want anyone to have these problems. I do have a sciences degree but not in mechanical engineering or even materials science. I would think watching stuff fail would not require such a degree to see the weakness

Last edited:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yep, you hit vinyl siding with a powerful trimmer and it will eat it. There are thousands of vinyl clad homes and few have the issues you describe. When it does happen it is usually the fault of the owner for not keeping the siding secured, once wind has a path under it gets ugly quick.

Agree Masonite and LP siding we’re a disaste.

We could build all brick 2x6 walls on 16 inch centers but who can afford that, or even wants too? Not many.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Birdshot will go through drywall and siding.
    No.4 buck will easily make it through a few walls and siding.
    00 buck will go from one end of your house out the other side, doing so with little regard even for studs.

Only a concrete block, thick slab stone, or brick house, is going to have any chance of stopping ANY bullet.

I promise you there's not a house out there, no matter how old, not using some form of block, that would stop even a 9mm from going through.

And don't allow this to make you think even brick is all that bullet proof. Any reasonably powerful cartridge is going be making holes after a shot or 2.

If you want it gun proof, you're going to have to do poured concrete with rebar.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Birdshot will go through drywall and siding.
    No.4 buck will easily make it through a few walls and siding.
    00 buck will go from one end of your house out the other side, doing so with little regard even for studs.

Only a concrete block, thick slab stone, or brick house, is going to have any chance of stopping ANY bullet.

I promise you there's not a house out there, no matter how old, not using some form of block, that would stop even a 9mm from going through.

And don't allow this to make you think even brick is all that bullet proof. Any reasonably powerful cartridge is going be making holes after a shot or 2.

If you want it gun proof, you're going to have to do poured concrete with rebar.

I think this might stop a round or 2 of 9mm. But I agree pretty much.

i033989_preview.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My house was built in 1901. The outside walls are brick and 13" thick. No slug or buckshot will not go through my exterior walls.
    13" of brick? My wife's aunt has a house like that. Double brick construction, it's laid in a T pattern. The actual total wall thickness is pushing 1 1/2'.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Not too worried about it, My home was built in the 80's (1880's that is!). Living room is paneled with 7/16 wood paneling over horsehair plaster and lath, over full 2 1/4 2x4's, filled with blown in insulation, then solid 3/4 rough sawn boards, covered with wood lap siding, then 3/4 foam insulation and vinyl siding. For home defense I have a 45acp colt Double Eagle handgun in the bedroom and a Kimber Solo in the living room both loaded with +p hollow point ammo.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Can you imagine the cost to use that much brick to build a home now days?
    Yeah I can imagine, way more than I can afford. And it's not just the cost of the brick, it's the labor. And done right, you're pretty much building a stick home inside of the brick shell. The aunt's house is right around 2000 sq ft if I remember right, one story.

If I could swing it and was building now, I'd definitely would look into insulated concrete form. 6" hard foam forms filled with 6-12" of reinforced concrete.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back when I sold guns I was asked about shotguns for defense in homes. My opinions were that the pellets will spread less than you think and go through more than you think. That said, I still like them for home defense because at 10 feet or so I don't think they make people that can take a shotgun hit to the body center regardless of the pellet size.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Back when I sold guns I was asked about shotguns for defense in homes. My opinions were that the pellets will spread less than you think and go through more than you think. That said, I still like them for home defense because at 10 feet or so I don't think they make people that can take a shotgun hit to the body center regardless of the pellet size.
    2.75 of 3 inch?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are right, my money, my opinion.

If the weed eater strips the siding off, and I can put my foot through the sheathing, it is NOT engineered enough for me. There are entire shopping districts in the City of Chicago that have been there since the the 1800's. We accept as common for new construction store buildings.buildings to cave in the roof at a heavy rain or snow fall. All the tri levels on the H&H ruth addition on 45th ave that split the ceilings because the engineers cut corners on the design. There is a neighborhood in the north end of Crown point where they engineered homes that sit on failing plywood foundations. In addition the ductwork for the counter flow furnaces fill with water. In the southern part of the state is a lot of homes that the siding was the sheathing and it was made of masonite. The first water leak started some serious and expensive decay with black mold..

To some, my requirements may be over built. Engineers who work for bean counters are not doing their work to insure the quality of your purchase. If you are making a 30 year mortgage and start having structural problems and every big wind strips your siding off, you would not like it. The two story across from me has lost its siding and gotten water damage 3 times since 2012. she thinks it is criminal.

I don't want anyone to have these problems. I do have a sciences degree but not in mechanical engineering or even materials science. I would think watching stuff fail would not require such a degree to see the weakness
    People need to stop running like lemmings to buy this poorly built crap with basic minimal electric wiring and plastic pipes for domestic water under sized HVAC systems built on a postage stamp lot and Bravo Sierra construction. What a joke.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just about any stick built construction built without masonry or stone, will be penetrated by projectiles that will pass the FBI protocol.

If this concerns you, one technique is to identify shooting lanes within the home and back them with a bookcase full of books.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The family farm had a small 2-bedroom Cottage on the far end of the woods by the family farm junk yard. I never remember anyone actually living in it and it showed it. One day before the property was sold at estate auction, we went for a last romp through the junk yard with our AR's and such.
    The old dilapidated cottage became the focus of several hundred rounds. Lap board siding that appeared to be cut on site from the local woods. Not sure what materials was under that but ir looked again like a 1/2" thick by various widths rough sawn planks and plaster/lathe interior. We went pretty slow at 1st running a few rounds and looking inside at the damage.
    The 5.56 I was running cleared the walls unless it hit a rough sawn native lumber 2X4 and not much was going to clear that but we had several rounds that went in 1 side and out the other if nothing impeded them. Just the walls did not stop much. As we got bored and new the place was to become an industrial park we lit the cottage up. Nothing inside would have made it through that alive so please don't think the walls in these new vinal mansions will even slow a bullet down save for the errant stud.

Top Bottom