• ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Good Morning fellow INGO'ers.
    Recently had the chance to get to the range and put a few through the P-01 and AR15. I have to say I was not happy with my results. I am getting old and the eyesight was going so I went and got glasses. I went with progressive lenses and I had a TON of trouble this weekend with the iron sights. I also sighted in a recent purchase of a red dot on the AR and found that I was easily pinging 6 - 10" steel at 100 meters consistently. I have not made it to the 300m range yet so time will tell on that one. Anyway, who out there had the same problem and found a solution? I am thinking of getting a red dot on the pistol too but if there are lower cost solutions out there to fix my problem I sure would like to hear them. Thanks in advance.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Perhaps dedicated shooting glasses with a single prescription would work. Could even get dedicated prescription safety glasses.
    That is what I have done. You can get a set without to much expense I got mine for around $145. But I get the bending frames so it was a little higher. The lenses only cost around $40.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I spent 10 years in the same fight.

Especially with a rear aperature rifle like an M14 or AR, the primary focus is the front sight. The rear sight automatically centers your eye, no matter how fuzzy. Especially at distance, the aiming black of the target is just a fuzzy meatball. If you adjust your rifle for center hold, the middle of the fuzzy meatball is still the middle, as long as you are sure where the top and sides of the front post are.

None of us shooting service rifle Palma EVER saw a clear aiming black, even when we were 20 years old. 800,900, and 1000 yards is just too much for any eye to rectify. I never saw a clear target at 200, 300 or 600 yards either.

New glasses for general sight use are usually not exactly right for our use. There was an eye Dr. in Lafayette that would allow you to make arrangements to bring a rifle in and he would adjust prescription while you held aim, but he retired. Other Drs will generally allow you to bring a stick with a front sight mounted to it that you have already trimmed to the same length as your own rifle. I have seen some guys with pretty bad eyes learn to put bullets dead center of that fuzzy meatball, and the score books prove it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

KNOBLOCH FRAMES W/23mm LENS HOLDER,ADJ NOSE PIECE,CARRY CASE K1023

Knobloch Universal Model K1 Frames w/ Lens Holder
    $165.00

I have seen some people go as far as this style of glasses to get the optic center perfectly aligned to the sight. They are usually rimfire shooters. Since this style does not offer the required level of face protection for Highpower competition, I never bothered with them. These are offered at Champions Choice in LaVergn, TN. Champchoice.com

I did stick a big foam earplug under the bridge of my conventional shooting glasses to raise the frames on my face getting the optical center up where it gave the best sight picture.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    A Red Dot is definently what I'd recommend.

Your best low cost solution yet keeping quality is the new Bushnell RXS 250 Red Dot Sight. I just attended Dave Spaulding Handgun Combatives Red Dot class couple months ago. He touched on it ther but just did some testing on it with around 9K rounds and some normal dropping height. It held zero and minimal damage.

Retails for 250. Check out Hamdgun Combatives FB page he just did a wri8t up today.

Good Luck

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have been struggling with this for years....and then some. I'm no sharpshooter, I shoot as a means of having fun. That said, I will seldom have "tight" shots , really seldom; however, I rarely (if at all) miss my target. What I mean about that is I will always hit the paper and be fairly close to my intended placement.

I wear progressives and agree, they are very rough. I try to keep focus on the front sight, at times adjusting my head to get that front sight in focus. I will almost always be close to to the bullseye. I have not shot a rifle in quite some time but would still focus on the front sight. When plinking with my handgun, I might not hit the bullseye but I will always hit the paper, even at 25 yards. I am confident in a SD situation, I would not have any trouble with hitting critical mass.

I think you can try allot of different glasses, scopes and such, but you will not always have the benefits of those. I practice with what I will have.

Just my 2 cents

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    So you are a Marine also?

Then do what I do, get drunk and blame it on the alcohol...

Seriously, I got some WileyX frames with three shades of tint that hold my Rx lenses on the nose clip. There were a bunch left over from Iraq and Afghanistan and the whole thing was less than $100.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I wear progressive bifocals and had a hard time seeing the front sight in focus. My optometrist gave me a second prescription for shooting glasses that had a single focus bifocal that put the front sight in focus. The bifocal goes all the way across the lenses and is right at the midpoint of the lenses. Just a very slight tilt of my head will get front sight or the target in focus. Safety glass frames are fairly cheap and come with the side wings. I think the total cost of the glasses was less than $100.
    If you don't mind traveling for the exam, make an appointment with Dr. Acton at the Greenfield Wal-Mart. I would suggest you request to talk to him personally about bringing your firearm with you. Just tell him that Uncle Larry referred you.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Of interest here is Dave Spaulding (Handgun Combatives) testing the new Bushnell. Probably quality on par with units that cost double

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive actually been fighting this for years as im severely visually impaired/blind since birth, but that does mean ive developed tools to deal with vision loss. Pistol sights sometimes work but only on subcompacts(<3.8in), and only for sub 10yd distances, finally rifle irons are a blurry mess. Now Im mostly a pistol shooter outside of my 10/22 as even with a 9x scope I cant really see beyond 25-50yds, but I can answer your question on red dot on a pistol as I be surprised to find someone with worse vision on this forum, and I hope none of you even have to deal with vision this bad.

Recently ive finally converted to a holosun 507k GR(P365) and a 507C GR and man it is night and day different not having to focus on your sight at all which is what your supoosed to do with red dots as its supposed to be a fuzzyish dot on the in focus target. The green seems to be way sharper to me than a red dot and faster to pickup. Also with the 507 series you have the option between a 2moa range dot and a 32 moa CCW circle. For the money(sub $300) its hard to beat holosun as its basically 80-90% of a RMR’s durability for nearly half the price, and has easy battery changes without demounting the optic.

Cheap red dots are just asking for issues with parallax and faults especially if your carrying it. I was gonna do a RMR but when comparing side by side the RMR and 507C GR, the holosun was less blurry and faster to acquire, and money wasnt a factor at all in my decision, now I have a high astigmatism so that could have been the key as to me the 3.25 and 6moa dots on the RMR almost looked doubled up.

Outside of sights proper practice is key as I can hit targets that I cant actually see as I know based on training where i should impact based on positioning of the gun in relation to my body, so its more of instinctual shooting than actually focusing on the sights. I do this with archery really well as i can shoot a traditional long bow better than a compound as i end up focusing on the sights instead of the fundamentals; leading to errors in positioning. The same thing is key in firearms as well if you look into jerry miculek and other competitive shooters as good luck actually aiming at those speeds they shoot at during competition.

Top Bottom