• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Interesting. I think I have only been into a Point Blank once for date night, my wife likes indoor ranges.

1) at $19.99 they aren’t making money on ammo. Even at $50 a box they wouldn’t be making money on ammo. Why? Because there isn’t that much out there to sell. Their business model revolves around selling range facilities, guns and accessories. So good for them for protecting their business

2) Memberships. This is a way to sell range facilities and get people to come back. Or if they don’t come back still generate revenue. Part of doing business.

3) I would assume scanning the ID has to do with insurance and CYOA. People go to ranges, rent guns, shoot themselves in the head. People steal, people damage stuff, people are negligent. Yeah if I were running a public range I would want to see some ID. I get that people don’t like it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I think you will find that they have been instructed to scan with every sale. They don't seem to understand the scan policy costs them money. I don't know if they don't realize or just don't care. It appears to me that corporate doesn't understand much about their customers. Considering the current climate I think the first time buyers don't think anything about the scan but a lot of the people that will be regular customers and use the range will be sensitive to the scanning issue. That coupled with some of their other policies will likely send people down the road to Parabellum.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not gonna scan my info. Period.
    I am fully in line with the ammo situation but not offering up anything past signing the disclosure.

BTW, we are in complete agreement, philosophically. However it seems fair to me to ask for ID to shoot at a public range. And just what info is asked on membership applications for many of the club ranges? Doesn't seem to me the average guy can shot at a range anonymously...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    BTW, we are in complete agreement, philosophically. However it seems fair to me to ask for ID to shoot at a public range. And just what info is asked on membership applications for many of the club ranges? Doesn't seem to me the average guy can shot at a range anonymously...

Problem is not asking to view ID, I expect that and I'm fine with it. When they scan there may be some info there you don't want in their database and you don't know what they use the info for or how the database is secured. IMHO there is info that could possibly be used for ID theft.. You might want to check the link below.. It's talking about NJ but I would imagine all States list the same info.

https://www.nj.com/business/2015/04...ml#incart_most-read_gloucester-county_article

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Interesting. I think I have only been into a Point Blank once for date night, my wife likes indoor ranges.

1) at $19.99 they aren’t making money on ammo. Even at $50 a box they wouldn’t be making money on ammo. Why? Because there isn’t that much out there to sell. Their business model revolves around selling range facilities, guns and accessories. So good for them for protecting their business

2) Memberships. This is a way to sell range facilities and get people to come back. Or if they don’t come back still generate revenue. Part of doing business.

3) I would assume scanning the ID has to do with insurance and CYOA. People go to ranges, rent guns, shoot themselves in the head. People steal, people damage stuff, people are negligent. Yeah if I were running a public range I would want to see some ID. I get that people don’t like it.

(1) You could be a little off on this.. How much do you want for $50 a box? :cool:

I can buy pallets of 9MM cheaper than that. They are not losing money on the ammo they are selling at $20 a box. I agree that they could be selling it for more in the current market. Parabellum is right down the road and I don't think they have run out of 9mm in the last several months. I know he pays a premium to get ammo so the price has gone up and there is a limit on how much you can buy but it's available.

(2) Memberships are a way to get people's info but for the most part it's a guaranteed monthly income. They are like gift cards and groupons, 40 to 90% of people never use them so it can be as much as 100% profit.

(3) Scanning the ID is all about info and tracking. Viewing your ID is not what they want, they want to scan it. Viewing it is fine with me. Scanning puts me in a database somewhere and where a corporate store is concerned that could be anywhere and I have no idea IF or HOW it's secured. With 24 stores imagine what that database looks like and who might be interested in it.
    People are counted when they come in the door and the store is graded on percentage of sales according to the traffic, another reason for the scan. The scan does make it easy to identify people that have caused problems in the past and aren't welcome. That, for my money is the only legitimate use for the scan.
    I an thankful for such nice facility but IMHO they take the ID thing way too far and I'm not confident my information is secure there. Gun owners are a hated minority by some and I for one don't want to give the haters any "ammunition" they could use against me.
    Agree or disagree it is food for thought.

Top Bottom