• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Who in the Indianapolis area has the best price on shipping out a long gun?
    I do know that I can legally ship it to a FFL holder myself after talking to a postmaster yesterday, just don't know if I want the hassle of packaging it up and all that. Any suggestions??

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do know that I can legally ship it to a FFL holder myself after talking to a postmaster yesterday, just don't know if I want the hassle of packaging it up and all that. Any suggestions??
    Try your local gun shop.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

Not to be rude, but if you want to save money you should do it yourself.
    If you want a gun shop to enter it in and out of their A&D books, box it and ship it and then be obligated if it gets lost in the mail. I would expect that cost something.
    Cost of shipping 35 to 50 bucks. 50 bucks to do the rest seems fair.

Just saying

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The last one I shipped set me back ~$65 with insurance. Tack on their fee for the hassle of adding it to their books and doing the packaging for you, and $100 seems about right.

USPS rates have gone up, and there’s a surcharge for packages over a certain length. Be ready for sticker shock, it ain’t cheap.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    USDS charges their normal $20 transfer fee (if paying cash) plus actual shipping costs but you have bring your own packaging. Unless the dealer has access to special rates or a different carrier, it'll likely cost you around $100 just for shipping and insurance on a properly packaged long gun though.

Sounds like WAY too much to me.
    Last long gun I shipped I think I paid $35.
    That was a year or two ago and not around Indy.
    That was correct a year ago. Last year I shipped a 10.5 lb. CZ 550 magnum with a 25" barrel with max insurance for $75. Now, it'd have to be a pretty short and light weight long gun to ship for $60 and that likely wouldn't include insurance. Three of the last five I've shipped have been at or around the $100 mark with insurance and that was without dealer's fees.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Not to be rude, but if you want to save money you should do it yourself.
    If you want a gun shop to enter it in and out of their A&D books, box it and ship it and then be obligated if it gets lost in the mail. I would expect that cost something.
    Cost of shipping 35 to 50 bucks. 50 bucks to do the rest seems fair.

Just saying
    That was the price quoted after I had it packed and ready to go. Then go to post office for weight and insurance. Then do some kind of paperwork.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Good thread... last long gun shipping I was involved in was receiving end on a GB deal that cost me $35 plus my LGS transfer fees. (small, light, not expensive 22 rifle)

Sounds like the insurance part has went way up... which makes me wonder, since the people most likely to lose/steal the gun are their employees. :rolleyes:

Oh, well... good to know in advance.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @Robert Richardson - if you have any pawn shops that sell guns and already ship try one of them.

Does Brownells still have their shipping service? You used to be able to buy the label from them and drop off the gun to the shipper.

The person you are shipping to might be able to get a shipping label from their FFL?

Good luck.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Spoke with a Postmaster Friday, he said I was good to go as long as the Shipping Address matched the address on the FFL and I declare the package as a firearm with nothing on box stating contents. Size of the box is the biggest cost factor it appears. The one I'm shipping can be broken down like an AR so that helps. I'm going to take it down next week and get a shipping estimate. I'm not shipping mine until I receive the one I'm trading for. I'll update with the cost of shipping and insurance. Information may help someone else.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have always shipped my own, when selling on Gunbroker.
    I include a copy of my DL and make sure the buyer's FFL will accept from an individual.
    The last one I shipped about 2 years ago went to KY, it was an AR fully assembled. It was under $30 dollars with Insurance.
    That one was insured at $1500.
    If you're shipping within the State I wouldn't think it would be too bad.
    Also in our State you can ship a rifle directly to someone, it is the same as a face to face deal.
    Cannot do that with a handgun.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Update : I did ship USPS.
    15.5 lb. Indianapolis to Tucson AZ. $49 +$20 for $1200 insurance.
    Addressed to FFL, nothing on box about content. You do have to declare that it is a firearm. Signature on delivery required.
    Easiest way to prove you are sending to FFL is to get license code from receiving dealer and use FFL EZ find on the AFT website, pulled it up on my phone and showed it. Shipped 10/20/22, expected delivery 10/24/22.
    No hassle whatsoever.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Update : I did ship USPS.
    15.5 lb. Indianapolis to Tucson AZ. $49 +$20 for $1200 insurance.
    Addressed to FFL, nothing on box about content. You do have to declare that it is a firearm. Signature on delivery required.
    Easiest way to prove you are sending to FFL is to get license code from receiving dealer and use FFL EZ find on the AFT website, pulled it up on my phone and showed it. Shipped 10/20/22, expected delivery 10/24/22.
    No hassle whatsoever.

I've never declared it's a firearm. And yes, USPS is easy to use for this purpose.

scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    I've shipped three long gun through USPS in recent months. Cost $102 to Texas, $97 to New Jersey and a SXS I was Able to break down and use a shorter box, 28", was $57 to Arizona.

It's been a couple of weeks since I shipped and I'll have to stop by the post office to make sure I can still ship through them. The FFL I used for the ammunition will ship a gun for an extra $20. Worth it if I need to ship a handgun. So far what handguns I've sold have been listed here and I've met the buyer so no shipping involved.

I recently had some health issues and I'm just selling off some extra stuff. I am not in the business of buying and selling things. But I have sold over 40 items in the last few months. These new changes are a PIA.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've never declared it's a firearm. And yes, USPS is easy to use for this purpose.
    Yeah, that works too, until it is damaged, lost or, stolen and you try to collect the insurance. You have to describe the loss. Insurance will not pay because you didn't follow the proper procedure when you shipped it. It will probably involve the ATF at that time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom