• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Not all of us have your Wicked Edge budgets... ;)

Not sure how one would fit in the pocket either? :)
    Why do you need to sharpen your knife on the go? You either need better steel with greater edge retention or you need more knives.

And with new versions coming out all the time, you can pick them (wicked edge) up used sometimes. It's less costly than a gun, your other option is just to find a local guy and have them sharpen your knives when needed. :dunno:

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I dunno. Maybe I don't need to know how to sharpen in the field?

Yep, I have kind of a Mora budget. Guess I just need a few more? :dunno:
    if you were closer I'd say stop by and I'll sharpen a few for you. :thumbsup:

Also, Mora Knives are some of the most underrated knives. And especially when they go on sale different places.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Not all of us have your Wicked Edge budgets... ;)

Not sure how one would fit in the pocket either? :)
    It's all about budgeting for what you want. $300 seems a lot more expensive than a $50 lansky or just a simple wet stone.

I wanted one after using someone else's to sharpen my knife, so I started saving my pennies. Got lucky and the g/f bought me one for Christmas several years ago. Actually got it early that year because she heard me say I was about to order one.

Some people have new cars, fancy clothes, lots of video games, etc... I have a what I consider to be the best knife sharpener for my needs and a pocket knife that stays sharp.

And after a few years a just upgraded to the next finer set of diamond stones to please myself.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I use Japanese water stones. They can sharpen some of the newer steels and seem to do better than the Arkansas stones I used to use. I hate systems that guide you, each knife usually has a specific bevel and a guide doesn't allow for this flexibility.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've had good results with the Sharpmaker for years now. Since using it we have not had to have Cutco come and sharpen our knives - we do it ourselves. I don't use the diamond rough and white extra fine stones very often, but when I need them, nothing else works the same.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've had good results with the Sharpmaker for years now. Since using it we have not had to have Cutco come and sharpen our knives - we do it ourselves. I don't use the diamond rough and white extra fine stones very often, but when I need them, nothing else works the same.
    Yup.

Setup a table in front of the TV with the Sharpmaker, grab the Cutco's and other knives, turn on a movie...

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Go to Goodwill or the Starvation Army and buy your practice fodder...

Any system that requires YOU to be consistent in how you hold your arm, wrist, and hands - YOU will be the limiting factor. It's been mentioned here already and in several more similar threads: SpyderCo Sharpmaker. You have to keep your blade 100% vertical as you draw it down against the angled-for-you stones. *I* cannot seem to achieve this. Lots of other people cannot, either. Conversely, lots of other people CAN.

Therefore, my own personal opinion is that a system that utilizes some kind of jig to hold the blade at a consistent and repeatable angle is more better than something that does not hold the blade at a consistent and repeatable angle.

This! So many have said it is so easy to sharpen knives. I bet it is if one possesses the physical ability in their hands. Some just were not born with great hand dexterity, hence we have the joke that the difference between receivers and defenders in football is receivers can catch. Some may have injuries or hand issues of aging.

I have a ChefMate for kitchen and have my carry knives done by those that can do it freehand...

schlossbourg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2018
    Vigo County
    My water stones are Naniwa.
    Yes, those are great. I use their water stones as well.

The green brick has a strange quality where the surface muds off and fills the pores, so it seems like it starts off as a 2k and by the end it's more like 5k. It may be something other stones do as well, I have not tried all that many.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Yes, those are great. I use their water stones as well.

The green brick has a strange quality where the surface muds off and fills the pores, so it seems like it starts off as a 2k and by the end it's more like 5k. It may be something other stones do as well, I have not tried all that many.
    I have a 3 stone set, 220, 1000, 6000. They all seem to mud up, doesn't seem to change how any of them cuts though. Could get away with using 1000 grit with heavy pressure and then lighten at the end to get away with using just one stone. I am guessing the green brick is the same way. Even that 1000 will put an edge better than new out of the box. The 6000 is a polished, hair shaving sharp edge. Most people's knives I have sharpened have to start on 220 since everyone throws stuff in dishwashers and into drawers where they bang around.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    so, for large fast work your be hard to beat a 3-4" flat belt sander, for hand sharpneing I prefer to spend extra time, but have versatility. So for me the Lansky Wood Box set that has the 4 angled holes and 4 sticks is the best. Cheap at like 20-30$ and i can remove a stick and uses it without the box for nearly any kind of sharpening. Past that a fine flat stone, or flat ceramic stone. I prefer skill over overpriced consumerism

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    WAIT A SECOND! My sister-in-law assures me that Cutco knives NEVER need sharpening. After all, she sold them for a while and she's NEVER wrong about anything.

Just ask her.

(COUGH)

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    WAIT A SECOND! My sister-in-law assures me that Cutco knives NEVER need sharpening. After all, she sold them for a while and she's NEVER wrong about anything.

Just ask her.

(COUGH)
    You have no idea how many Cutco knives I have sharpened for folks because the Cutco sharpening person in the Fort Wayne area can't be located or contacted my Cutco knife owners.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    I actually purchased the Work Sharp Tool And Knife sharpener kit yesterday and it is a really nice setup. Went through and sharpened my kitchen knives, fillet and hunting knives and it leaves a razor sharp edge. Did the banana and apple drop test on the butcher knife when I was done and both went clean through. It has different guides for different angles and leaves a nice clean consistent edge profile. Highly impressed and highly recommend!

Top Bottom