• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I think I am finally ready to pick up a sharpening system to sharpen and maintain pocket knives and kitchen knives for myself and my family. I currently have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and a Lansky set. Both were picked up secondhand. I never had great luck with the Sharpmaker. I'm not sure if it is my inability or if the stones just weren't great. I have had decent luck with the Lansky setup, but it does leave a little to be desired. My biggest gripe is that for smaller blades, it is basically impossible to Clamp them in and get a fine edge on them due to the Clamp being in the way. I do like the mechanics of clamping the blade down firmly though and having a decent guide to keep the consistency of the stone on the blade.

I have taken a quick look at the Worksharp setup and it looks like a little fancier version of the Lansky setup. For those that have used both, is the Worksharp worth the upgrade over the Lansky? The Clamp looks a little lower profile like it would hold smaller blades better than the Lansky.

Other options in the <$200 range? For fun, if there is an option that is way better than the rest but comes in under $400, toss those out as well, but im not sure I could wisely swing that at this time.

Also, I know that I could just pick up a set of whet stones, and learn that way, but I am a fan of the consistency of the sets as I have never in my life had great luck with being able to eyeball this kinda thing.

Thanks in advance for the tips and advice.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    When you say worksharp I assume your referring to the precision adjust and not the belt sander that they make.

I have both and will tell you that the ken onion edition work sharp belt sander is a nice sharpening system, but if you buy it be careful, till you know what your doing don’t put a nice knife to it!…hit up a flea market or gas station and buy a couple of cheap knives to learn on!

The work sharp precision adjust is a damn nice system! I actually use it more than my Ken onion work sharp, in fact I’m really thinking about buying the sharpener upgrade kit (for those knives I want scalpel sharp, instead of razor sharp!)

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    When you say worksharp I assume your referring to the precision adjust and not the belt sander that they make.

I have both and will tell you that the ken onion edition work sharp belt sander is a nice sharpening system, but if you buy it be careful, till you know what your doing don’t put a nice knife to it!…hit up a flea market or gas station and buy a couple of cheap knives to learn on!

The work sharp precision adjust is a damn nice system! I actually use it more than my Ken onion work sharp, in fact I’m really thinking about buying the sharpener upgrade kit (for those knives I want scalpel sharp, instead of razor sharp!)
    Yes, I mean the manual system. I'm not a big fan of power sharpeners due to removing too much material and the room for error is so much more.

Does the work sharp precision adjust do smaller blades ok? The Clamp does look pretty slim like it would work well with the smaller blades than the lansky setup.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Yes, I mean the manual system. I'm not a big fan of power sharpeners due to removing too much material and the room for error is so much more.

Does the work sharp precision adjust do smaller blades ok? The Clamp does look pretty slim like it would work well with the smaller blades than the lansky setup.
    I’ve never used it on a small blade, I usually don’t carry anything smaller than 3 inches so my small knives are factory sharp, if I needed to sharpen one of those it probably break out the sharpmaker because all it would need is a little touch up

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I’ve never used it on a small blade, I usually don’t carry anything smaller than 3 inches so my small knives are factory sharp, if I needed to sharpen one of those it probably break out the sharpmaker because all it would need is a little touch up
    Gotcha. I guess by small blades, I was talking about with a smaller profile. Think paring knife or something like that. Not so much length, but the height of the blade, if that makes sense.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I have the WorkSharp Precision Adjust and have used it to sharpen all sizes of knives, including small kitchen knives such as paring knives. It makes sharpening pretty easy. I have had a good experience with it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Only an opinion but it’s mine. I don’t know your age but your going to need sharp knives your whole life. Forget the gadgets and gizmos. Get a good quality in oil bath tri-hone, a steel, and a leather strop. And learn to use them. Close your eyes and feel the angle of the blade. As stated use some cheap knives to learn on. You probably have a couple dozen around the house already. Getting a blade to razor sharpness is an art, people make there living doing it. Ask a butcher or a real barber. Good luck what ever you do.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Only an opinion but it’s mine. I don’t know your age but your going to need sharp knives your whole life. Forget the gadgets and gizmos. Get a good quality in oil bath tri-hone, a steel, and a leather strop. And learn to use them. Close your eyes and feel the angle of the blade. As stated use some cheap knives to learn on. You probably have a couple dozen around the house already. Getting a blade to razor sharpness is an art, people make there living doing it. Ask a butcher or a real barber. Good luck what ever you do.
    I'm in my 40's. I definitely have plenty of cheap knives around to practice on. I have used stones before. When I was younger, I was quite skilled with them in boy scouts. I understand the benefits of having that skill. In a pinch, there's not a doubt that I could put an edge on a knife to make it function well, but I want a system that will have repeatable results with consistency.

Reactions: Mij

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    As long as the bevel on the edge of the knife is not messed up, the Spyderco Sharpmaker should be one of the best touch up knife sharpeners out there. Is it possible that some of your knives have too shallow of an edge and the Sharpmaker is just hitting the bevel instead of the edge?

The Ruixin Pro has been amazing for me at completely redoing an edge and turning old beat up chef knives into razor blades.
    Amazon product ASIN B08HMV12H6

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I use a work sharp ken onion edition and i have a harbor freight 1"x30" belt sander with a leather belt (for stropping). Once you get the hang of it you can sharpen a dozen knives in a half hour or so. Crazy sharp. I do place tape on the blade as the sharpener will leave fine scratches in it. I have tried wet stones-lansky system, ceramic rods, and all other type of system. This is what works for me. Some of the super steels are very hard to sharpen, and this does it very quickly, plus the harbor freight belt sander can do my axe's, machete's, lawnmower blades, etc. with ease.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Is it possible that some of your knives have too shallow of an edge and the Sharpmaker is just hitting the bevel instead of the edge?
    I Don't think that is the issue. I use a Sharpie on my bevel and then watch that whenever I do sharpen. It is either my inability to hold the knife at a true 90゚ to the surface or because I picked the stones up 2nd hand, maybe they are worn out or clogged or whatever. Either way, I'm not a fan of the free handing. I much prefer my landsky system that I have, it just leaves a little to be desired.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I Don't think that is the issue. I use a Sharpie on my bevel and then watch that whenever I do sharpen. It is either my inability to hold the knife at a true 90゚ to the surface or because I picked the stones up 2nd hand, maybe they are worn out or clogged or whatever. Either way, I'm not a fan of the free handing. I much prefer my landsky system that I have, it just leaves a little to be desired.
    You can clean the sharpmaker stones by soaking them in distilled water and then using a little barkeepers friend on them. I got a friend who just uses a harsh bore scrubber spray on them and he swears by that (I just don't like the smell).

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    You can clean the sharpmaker stones by soaking them in distilled water and then using a little barkeepers friend on them. I got a friend who just uses a harsh bore scrubber spray on them and he swears by that (I just don't like the smell).
    Nice. I'll give that a whirl to see if it makes a difference. Would be nice for touch ups and I could send it with my son when he moves out if it works well.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I use a work sharp ken onion edition and i have a harbor freight 1"x30" belt sander with a leather belt (for stropping). Once you get the hang of it you can sharpen a dozen knives in a half hour or so. Crazy sharp. I do place tape on the blade as the sharpener will leave fine scratches in it. I have tried wet stones-lansky system, ceramic rods, and all other type of system. This is what works for me. Some of the super steels are very hard to sharpen, and this does it very quickly, plus the harbor freight belt sander can do my axe's, machete's, lawnmower blades, etc. with ease.
    I wouldn't mind picking one of these up in the future for axes and bigger stuff, but im not a fan of the idea of removing so much material so fast. The room for error is larger than I care to deal.with.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    As long as the bevel on the edge of the knife is not messed up, the Spyderco Sharpmaker should be one of the best touch up knife sharpeners out there. Is it possible that some of your knives have too shallow of an edge and the Sharpmaker is just hitting the bevel instead of the edge?

The Ruixin Pro has been amazing for me at completely redoing an edge and turning old beat up chef knives into razor blades.
    Amazon product ASIN B08HMV12H6
    I've wondered about these after seeing Facebook videos for months. First time I've seen an endorsement from real life user. Same result as a wicked edge at 1/8th the cost sounds good.

Top Bottom