• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I spent seven hours in the great outdoors looking for arrowheads. It was a super workout for my legs, and outdoor walking sure beats a treadmill. Besides all of the nature and eagles that I saw, I did find these:

One is a snapped base Kirk, one is a Chert adze (woodworking tool), one is a crude but complete Atlatl point, the brown one is a hand tool, and the beauty is a Lost Lake

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Best field I ever knew of the state bought and now you can't remove any if you found them, but of course it is prairie grass so no farming tillage bringing them up.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Be careful. I have a friend that went arrow head hunting in the wrong place and wound up fighting a felony charge.

And as far as I know there were no signs demarcating the area as an American Indian burial site.

MH
    It doesn’t have to be marked as a ”burial site”. If you hunt on private property without permission, you are trespassing. If you hunt on state or federal property, you are stealing. If you dig on ANY property in Indiana for artifacts (INCLUDING YOUR OWN PROPERTY), you are committing a felony. You can ONLY surface hunt on your own property, or on someone else’s property with permission.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    What part of the state were you at? Do you look in any kind of specific area?
    I found these in southern Indiana. I have found that the best places to look are ANY disturbed ground. My favorite places to look are the highest parts of any plowed fields, and in gullies, ravines & wash-outs. Also, on the shoreline of creeks, steams, and rivers, and IN creeks and streams. Heck, I found a Native American pendant without even looking while walking from my car to my hotel in Louisville. They had brought in some river rock (I’m sure it was dredged from the Ohio river) for erosion control, and there was the pendant, just sitting on top of the rock.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I've always said it takes a keen eye and higher than average intelligence to hunt artifacts.;)
    A good eye to spot them and enough smarts to know whether to bend over and pick it up!

Top Bottom