• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    My one speeding ticket happened on 465 on the Westside. I was speeding (10 over) and had just been passed by a string of cars. ISP was clocking people, and I was the only one pulled over... I suspect it looked like I had given up.

I said thank you to the officer and silently wished the group that was going 20 over would catch crabs the next time they used a public restroom.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CKW and I jumped up on the big road (465) at Rckville west side and where getting off at Kentucky ave.
    We were in the STS and cruising is what that car is about. We matched speed in the center lane at 85 and a steady stream of cars motored by in the hammer.
    I went over and pushed up to match those cars and it was a steady 95.

People are flying since Hogbreath pulled the LEO back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CKW and I jumped up on the big road (465) at Rckville west side and where getting off at Kentucky ave.
    We were in the STS and cruising is what that car is about. We matched speed in the center lane at 85 and a steady stream of cars motored by in the hammer.
    I went over and pushed up to match those cars and it was a steady 95.

People are flying since Hogbreath pulled the LEO back.
    As much as I hate him, I dont think this is his doing. ISP is the primary enforcement on 465. Sure, IMPD gets bored and writes some tickets, but its mostly ISP.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. That highway can easily support 75 safely. I cant say there are more accidents today with everyone doing 20 over than this time last year at 55 (65). :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As much as I hate him, I dont think this is his doing. ISP is the primary enforcement on 465. Sure, IMPD gets bored and writes some tickets, but its mostly ISP.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. That highway can easily support 75 safely. I cant say there are more accidents today with everyone doing 20 over than this time last year at 55 (65). :dunno:
    We have seen IMPD up on the big road several times in the last few weeks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Me too. Not saying they dont ever go there, just that freeways are primarily state responsibility and I see many more troopers there than patrolmen generally speaking. BOTH agencies seem to have decided they have bigger fish to fry than generating revenue.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't know how many tickets my oldest got whilst transiting 465. She used to complain that they were picking on her and that "EVERYBODY" was speeding. I agreed that yes, everybody on 465 was speeding but it was A: Quite common for her to be outpacing the pack by a noticeable amount (Her defense is that she was in a hurry., B: Weaving across multiple lanes (Her defense was that the slow cars were getting in her way) C: Her car looked like it had lost the demolition derby (Her defense was that everybody around her was an idiot and didn't know how to drive) and my favorite D: Driving around with one foot propped up on the door while a)eating b)applying makeup c)dicking around with her phone or d) some combination of the above.

Her response was "I knew I couldn't talk to you about a serious topic"!:scratch:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To be honest the posted limits on 465 are foolish. There are plenty of two lane crooked highways in Indiana with a 55 MPH limit but on a divided limited access interstate with a minimum of 3 lanes and sometimes as many as 6 to work with we can't manage more? :rolleyes: This applies to various stretches of 65 & 70 through and near Indy as well.

I think most of the traffic is running where the limits should be with a not insignificant number pushing that boundary. If they would post sane limits it wouldn't seem like everyone was smoking them.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-
    I think most of the traffic is running where the limits should be with a not insignificant number pushing that boundary. If they would post sane limits it wouldn't seem like everyone was smoking them.
    I remember in the early 1970's when they had the "Arab Oil Embargo" the speed limit was dropped from 70 to 55mph on Interstate type highways, and from 65-55mph on two lane highways.
    We were ASSURED this was ONLY temporary (so the public would go along with it), and that as soon as the embargo was over, the speed limits would be restored.
    They lied.

So as far as I'm concerned, people driving on I-465 like they do on any other typical Interstate type highway with a posted 70mph speed limit is reasonable.
    CERTAINLY no worse then the lie the government told us way back when...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I hear that, unless the expiration date is written down when implemented, nothing is temporary. Even then it's no guarantee the expiration date won't be extended.
    The "date" was when the oil embargo was over, which they couldn't have known.
    But you make a good point about our government.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I remember when some roads in Indiana had the sign upon exiting a city or town that said "Resume Safe Speed". Since I had a sports car, safe speed was 90 or so.

As to 465, the excuse is that it is in a high population area which dictates the lower speed limit. Of course tell that to the population. :D

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just because a road "can" support a higher speed limit doesn't mean that it "should".

Traffic volumes and the number and spacing of exit and entrance ramps all play a huge role in setting speed limits.

And let's just wait until INDOT installs the time/volume sensitive speed limits on the stretch of 465 between I-65 in the south around to I-70 on the east side. Depending on traffic volumes, the speed limits will adjust downward to 45mph in some places. Supposedly to help alleviate the number of accidents that occur on this stretch of highway.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hell on the west side between 70 west and Harding going east on 465 you better have some time on your hands! That area is a mess during the high times. Hopefully the new interchange just east of the river will alleviate some of that gridlock.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hell on the west side between 70 west and Harding going east on 465 you better have some time on your hands! That area is a mess during the high times. Hopefully the new interchange just east of the river will alleviate some of that gridlock.
    I seriously doubt that it will. INDOT has proven in the past that projects they have planned in the future are woefully ill prepared.

The 465/69/37 interchange on the NE side has went through how many reconfigs in the last 15 years? Still not fixed
    Every "projection" for growth has been on the extreme low side.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I seriously doubt that it will. INDOT has proven in the past that projects they have planned in the future are woefully ill prepared.

The 465/69/37 interchange on the NE side has went through how many reconfigs in the last 15 years? Still not fixed
    Every "projection" for growth has been on the extreme low side.
    I will give them credit for the I-65/465 exchange on the south side. That used to be horrible, especially going westbound on 465 during evening rush hour. The redesign really helped a lot with that. But yeah, in general I agree. And I still say whomever thought up the original "collector-feeder/cloverleaf" designs for exchanges should be strung up by their nads. How could anyone think it's a good idea to force traffic that is slowing down into the same lane where traffic is speeding up? :nuts:

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Rice burner and a camaro today as I was taking the not so mini monkey to get his scout shirt and patches today. One guy was coming up on me so fast as he was changing over across ALLLL the lanes he triggered my blindspot radar as I changed too. He was 200' behind me but it still warned me because he was closing on me so damn fast. AND I WAS DOING ALMOST 80!!! (along with everyone else)
    Have to wonder if I didn't see the same pair last night on my way to work. Westbound just past Michigan Rd when the Camaro then what appeared to be a late model Civic blew past at easily 100+. Last I saw they were slowed behind tractor trailers in the lane to 865W.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    I don't know how many tickets my oldest got whilst transiting 465. She used to complain that they were picking on her and that "EVERYBODY" was speeding. I agreed that yes, everybody on 465 was speeding but it was A: Quite common for her to be outpacing the pack by a noticeable amount (Her defense is that she was in a hurry., B: Weaving across multiple lanes (Her defense was that the slow cars were getting in her way) C: Her car looked like it had lost the demolition derby (Her defense was that everybody around her was an idiot and didn't know how to drive) and my favorite D: Driving around with one foot propped up on the door while a)eating b)applying makeup c)dicking around with her phone or d) some combination of the above.

Her response was "I knew I couldn't talk to you about a serious topic"!:scratch:
    I haven't been in the funny pic thread yet today for my daily dose of laughter, but I got a feeling nothing in there is gonna be able to top the hilarity of this post :thumbsup:

Top Bottom