• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    You do remember it differently...
    The 'Soft On Crime' howls from Republicans got the crime bills pushed through a Democratic congress.
    Then Republicans howled about 'Gun Rights'...

*IF* I remember correctly, that was about the last time congress worked together across the isle.
    When the Lush Dimbulb types, and the Faux 'News' types lampooned the Republicans any across the isle work stopped, and so did congress...
    You remember it your way and I'll remember it mine. The fact is it was written by Democrats and signed into law by Democrats with little Republican support. The only co-sponsers to the Bill were Democrats. (I had to look that one up) Passed the House easily but only after the sunset clause was added did it pass the Senate 52 to 48. Both the House and the Senate had Democratic majorities at the time. Still not sure where all these far right Republicans are?

I do remember the 2 big republican's that supported it were ex-presidents Ford and Reagan. Ford was no surprise but Reagan sure was.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You remember it your way and I'll remember it mine. The fact is it was written by Democrats and signed into law by Democrats with little Republican support. The only co-sponsers to the Bill were Democrats. (I had to look that one up) Passed the House easily but only after the sunset clause was added did it pass the Senate 52 to 48. Both the House and the Senate had Democratic majorities at the time. Still not sure where all these far right Republicans are?

I do remember the 2 big republican's that supported it were ex-presidents Ford and Reagan. Ford was no surprise but Reagan sure was.
    Maybe from his view "far right" is a different place than it is for others.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Your remembrance of history is a little different from mine. The Assault Weapons ban was written by Dianne Feinstein and attached to the Clinton Crime Bill. In the House the overall crime bill was written by Texas democrat Brook and the Senate version by Joe Biden. It was signed into law by Clinton. Not seeing too many far right republicans on that list.

It also wasn't in response to "dope & drive by shootings" but rather in response to several high profile mass shootings that occurred several years prior to enactment. One in Stockton CA, Luby's in Texas and few others.
    DiFi: "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em in..." Think that was on 60 Minutes.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

I was around for it too. And this is how I remember it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Can’t say what I want about bidet voters... suffice it to say don’t ask for my help or understanding.

Attachments

• A8802709-CBC8-42F5-BCD8-287D14D7D8CF.jpeg
      A8802709-CBC8-42F5-BCD8-287D14D7D8CF.jpeg
      292.3 KB · Views: 21

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    We're not in the same place as we were in 1994. We have the internet, and information flows very much more quickly now. We can learn about proposed legislation as soon as it's introduced, organize to contact our representatives much more quickly, organize to assemble in person as needed, and organize to fight gun legislation much more effectively. Not always effectively, but more effectively.

If a new assault weapons ban comes to a vote, which I think it will, it will take a Herculean combined effort within the gun community to defeat it. My forecast is that one will pass, but it will be diluted to give cover to supposed pro-gun politicians. "It could have been worse, without our efforts" will be their slogan. Some will be appeased by that slogan.

Of course, the anti-gunners on both sides of the aisle are a patient bunch, and will be happy to pass anything that they can amend later in the interest of "closing loopholes". The march to communism is long and slow, and those who seek that end understand that incrementalism is key, and the pace is not as important as the destination.

Now, I wonder what the reaction to such a ban will be. Some people espouse a reactive approach, like "send bachelors, and send them heavy". But I think some will take a more proactive approach, in ways that it is not prudent to commit to text on a public forum. Either way, I see some difficult and violent times ahead if (or more likely when) a new assault weapons ban is enacted.

Last edited:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Good luck putting 100 million new people in jail over night.

Jail? No. Turning people against each other and mass graves is their modus operandi. History has proved this. Current events have reinforced this.

The only questions are, how will you react when it affects others? How will you react when it affects you? Will you not be reactive, but proactive?

Where do we go from here?

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I DO have NFA items, completely legal.
    I also just passed 5 different FBI/Homeland background checks to keep a Hazardous Materials/Bio Terrorism/TWIC to get in & out of military bases, go into food production facilities, etc.
    I have to clear these every 3-5 years.

Now *IF* you remember back in the 90s, there was an idea floated about a ONE TIME background check that allowed you high capacity magazines, detachable magazine semi-auto magazines, etc,

This wasn't for the firearms, it was for the OWNERS.
    The idea was, gang banger gets caught with no owners card/background check, automatic 25+ in prison.

The NRA went 'Full Special', came completely off the rails, and has wound up bankrupt (woke up sticky, broke, confused and saying "It's just a cold sore").

Actually I'm all for a push an Indiana State Trooper pushed a few years back (like 20 or so),
    Put a red 'FP' on Firearms Prohibited folks state ID & drivers licences.
    A green 'FR' on folks that are Restricted to long firearms only,
    A green 'CC' on Concealed Carry holders.

Let's the police know who they are dealing with right away, lets judges pull licences/IDs in the court room when the wife beater or dope suspect comes before them...
    A slip from the court and they go get a new driver's licence or ID card...

But then again, I'm sure we will hear violent opposition from those that can't pass the background check in the first place...
    You're making lots of assumptions about alot of things here.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Per ATF I do not own any assault weapons. All my firearms meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. So there... :D

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    kut in line
    ^^^ Would you Cut in line before or after Kut??
    Just asking??.Bill.
    Obviously after. He ain’t that bad.
    But seriously, I doubt they have the ability to ban something as owned-widespread as the AR. It’s loser legislation.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    We're not in the same place as we were in 1994. We have the internet, and information flows very much more quickly now. We can learn about proposed legislation as soon as it's introduced, organize to contact our representatives much more quickly, organize to assemble in person as needed, and organize to fight gun legislation much more effectively. Not always effectively, but more effectively...
    Actually, 1994 wasn't that different. The NRA sent flash alerts as this was moving through committee, and everybody saw it coming a mile away. I was 25 years old, saving up for my first AR, and called and wrote letters until I was blue in the (finger). I listed to live action on Senate passage on the Larry King Radio show while I was taking a package to the Post Office. When I turned off the car and walked in, Democrats didn't have the votes and Larry was pissing and moaning about "only in America." When I came back out, the Republican turncoats (one of whom was Dan Coats of Indiana) had registered their votes and it was passed.

I never thought I'd see Republicans cave to pressure (that's what it was) and support that.

But I never thought I'd see Republicans cave to pressure (because that's what it is) and impeach a Republican President who did nothing wrong (listen to the speech yourself).

Never think "it can't happen here."

Top Bottom