I just reported you for being a dick to a newcomer. *******
    fbi.gif

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My wife and I have been debating lately about the current political reality, historical precedent regarding specific firearm limitations like the Brady Bill, and the potential of specific firearms like the AR-15 being limited during the upcoming democratic majority in DC.

I have been trying to understand what happened then and what could realistically happen now with regards to current owners of these firearms. Would current owners have to turn them in? Are they grandfathered in? Can anyone relate to what happened during Brady and how they handled it then?

I don't want to go down the conspiracy rabbit-hole here, so let's just assume another similar Brady Bill gets passed that limits guns like the AR-15, what do you think would happen with regards to current owners?
    President Harris...er...I mean...Biden wrote down their plans. Since both houses of Congress and the Presidency are all Democrat controlled, they should be able to enact any legislation they darn well please.

I understand your question. You are hoping to gain insight so you can prepare for what is coming. The only way I know of to be prepared is to either.....1. get ready to voice your objections and get peacefully politically active.....OR.....2. Sell everything but your muzzle loaders (those will only be allowed with permits, licenses and multiple excessive fees).

The past AWB had a grandfathering exception as well as a sunset provision. Many in the Democrat party have stated that they will not make that mistake again. If this is true, then if a new AWB is passed, it will be a whole different ballgame we have not encountered before.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    President Harris...er...I mean...Biden wrote down their plans. Since both houses of Congress and the Presidency are all Democrat controlled, they should be able to enact any legislation they darn well please.

I understand your question. You are hoping to gain insight so you can prepare for what is coming. The only way I know of to be prepared is to either.....1. get ready to voice your objections and get peacefully politically active.....OR.....2. Sell everything but your muzzle loaders (those will only be allowed with permits, licenses and multiple excessive fees).

The past AWB had a grandfathering exception as well as a sunset provision. Many in the Democrat party have stated that they will not make that mistake again. If this is true, then if a new AWB is passed, it will be a whole different ballgame we have not encountered before.
    Pretty much what we have been thinking, great.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Calling it out for what it is.
    You need thicker skin. In all fairness, I'm the one who started it by (somewhat jokingly) insinuating that you were an ATF agent. When someone new (doesn't matter if you ponied up $20 because the "spies" do too) such as yourself starts off asking stuff like "how many guns do you own" or "will you comply with new gun laws" then yeah it throws up red flags and we crack jokes. Please don't shoot my dog tomorrow. Thank you :thumbsup:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Why are so many willing to talk about shooting back but want to be grey men in everyday life now?

When people won't wear a pro gun shirt, put a pro gun sticker on their car out of fear now, I am not so sure they'll resort to shooting later.

Kind of like the difference between concealed and open carry.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Rather than looking at the Brady Bill you should look at the East and West coast states and how they imposed their draconian rules. Also look at the history of bans without grandfather rules in the UK and it’s former stepchildren like Aussies and NZ.

Buybacks are a joke as they will never pay market price which will shoot to the moon when the Bill is introduced. Only effective way for them to eliminate the evil black guns is no grandfather clause and harsh consequences for noncompliance.

So you squirrel away your AR and 30 round clips (magazines) because they are now illegal and you will go to prison for having one.

How and where will you train with your illegal gun? Where will you get ammo? Most importantly when will you use your illegal gun if the consequences of possessing an AR is prison?

Most importantly when do you decide to use your illegal AR knowing that it’s use will reveal you as a criminal subject to imprisonment?
    • Shooting on private land with your buddies?
    • At the meth head home invader?
    • At the Antifa etal rioters outside threatening to storm your home?
    • At the LEO coming to seize your arms?
    • When the second revolution starts?

Think long and hard of the consequences of keeping your illegal AR and your commitment to the reason you are keeping it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I’m still waiting for the smartest person or two on INGO to answer the OP’s question.
    Until a bill passes through Congress and makes its way to Biden's desk, there really isn't a solid answer to the OP's question. We can speculate all day on the gun grabber wish list or ponder what we think they might do based on past bills, but that's already being done all over this board in various threads.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Calling it out for what it is.
    New guy. I see all the reports. I read all the reply's and actions taken. I know or am familiar with most of the regulars in these threads. We actually do meet up out in the real and break bread/shoot guns/trade and sell and juts in general develop friendships. Your antagonistic attitude is not going to get you far here. Relax. Slow your roll. All these members are great guys that will help if asked and share if the need arises. So yes, thick skin. Roll with it. Enjoy the forum.

And again, that site support banner gets you perks not leverage and if you bandy it about as such it will get you dinged.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    It is possible, but an outright ban is not a done deal. I would expect more chipping away, still bad though. It is not a certainty that all Dems in the senate would play ball, Manchin comes to mind. Plus, at least we have had about a good a run as we could expect regarding SCOTUS picks. We will know soon though.

Crash7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2020
    IN
    I fully expect kutnupe, campingjosh, and a few others here to stand for what they voted and turn theirs in.

In fact, they should lead by example and turn them in now.

Drop them off at my house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was around when they did the original ban.
    The reason they had a 10 year sunset and didn't just outright ban possession of particular firearms outright was they didn't have the votes.

Today's Democrat Party is much harder left, more emboldened, has even less regard for unalienable rights than then, and have nothing to stand in the way of their agenda.
    Katie bar the door!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Debating "what ifs" is pretty much a waste of time. What would happen completely depends on the actual language in any new law that's passed.

That said. I will not comply.

This.
    Just because a law was previously done with certain language, does not guarantee that the new law will be anything like the previous.

We can talk about what it was during the AWB, but that doesn't mean the new laws, or proposed new laws, would be similar.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My wife and I have been debating lately about the current political reality, historical precedent regarding specific firearm limitations like the Brady Bill, and the potential of specific firearms like the AR-15 being limited during the upcoming democratic majority in DC.

I have been trying to understand what happened then and what could realistically happen now with regards to current owners of these firearms. Would current owners have to turn them in? Are they grandfathered in? Can anyone relate to what happened during Brady and how they handled it then?

I don't want to go down the conspiracy rabbit-hole here, so let's just assume another similar Brady Bill gets passed that limits guns like the AR-15, what do you think would happen with regards to current owners?
    1. The "Brady Bill" had nothing to do with "limiting" guns like the AR-15.

2. The answer to your question is it depends on how the law was written. However, I anticipate an Executive Order simply declaring guns to be machine guns.

Top Bottom