• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    My wife and I have been debating lately about the current political reality, historical precedent regarding specific firearm limitations like the Brady Bill, and the potential of specific firearms like the AR-15 being limited during the upcoming democratic majority in DC.

I have been trying to understand what happened then and what could realistically happen now with regards to current owners of these firearms. Would current owners have to turn them in? Are they grandfathered in? Can anyone relate to what happened during Brady and how they handled it then?

I don't want to go down the conspiracy rabbit-hole here, so let's just assume another similar Brady Bill gets passed that limits guns like the AR-15, what do you think would happen with regards to current owners?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    :rofl:

The real threats are adding states and court packing. Trying to ban semi-auto's will never work. We would all just be criminals, with just a few turning them in. How many bumpstocks were turned in after they were "banned" by the POS ATF? Very, very few.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    A cop pal of mine said they will never go door to door to collect them.

We can expect a registry, then if you are caught with an unreg'd one you will go to federal pound you in the ass prison.

Or maybe our king and queen will allow us to have AR's but with california bullet buttons and max 10 round mags.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The Clinton era Federal Assault Weapons Ban (Federal Assault Weapons Ban), among other things, banned certain "features" found on firearms such as the AR-15 and M1-A. These features were deemed to increase the lethality of the weapon, such as a bayonet lug (used to mount a knife on the end of the rifle barrel). Manufacturers found ways to work around these provisions and continued to sell the rifles.

The firearms as a whole were never banned. Now, further, if you look at other countries that have banned entire classes of firearms, namely semi-automatics, you'll see time and time again then number turned in falls far short of the estimated number possessed by citizens.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A cop pal of mine said they will never go door to door to collect them.

We can expect a registry, then if you are caught with an unreg'd one you will go to federal pound you in the ass prison.

Or maybe our king and queen will allow us to have AR's but with california bullet buttons and max 10 round mags.
    They aren't in charge of what I have. You only lose what you give up.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Who cares, It doesn't concern me. I don't own any fully automatic assault guns. I sold them all when I saw mine get up and start shooting people on its own.

They won't ban them outright. They will just continue chipping away at our ability to own, train, buy ammo, etc. This has been in the works for decades. We were just to ignorant to care what was happening. When they finally ban them, most of us won't bat an eye. even those here.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    My wife and I have been debating lately about the current political reality, historical precedent regarding specific firearm limitations like the Brady Bill, and the potential of specific firearms like the AR-15 being limited during the upcoming democratic majority in DC.

I have been trying to understand what happened then and what could realistically happen now with regards to current owners of these firearms. Would current owners have to turn them in? Are they grandfathered in? Can anyone relate to what happened during Brady and how they handled it then?

I don't want to go down the conspiracy rabbit-hole here, so let's just assume another similar Brady Bill gets passed that limits guns like the AR-15, what do you think would happen with regards to current owners?

Well hello fellow firearms enthusiast. I wish I could tell you what would happen with regards to current owners but I sold off all of my guns and ammo. I now only use air soft, slingshots or bow/arrow. I'm just here for the pineapple upside down cake recipes.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Well hello fellow firearms enthusiast. I wish I could tell you what would happen with regards to current owners but I sold off all of my guns and ammo. I now only use air soft, slingshots or bow/arrow. I'm just here for the pineapple upside down cake recipes.
    I've been wanting to try the cake! where is the recipe?

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    The Clinton era Federal Assault Weapons Ban (Federal Assault Weapons Ban), among other things, banned certain "features" found on firearms such as the AR-15 and M1-A. These features were deemed to increase the lethality of the weapon, such as a bayonet lug (used to mount a knife on the end of the rifle barrel). Manufacturers found ways to work around these provisions and continued to sell the rifles.

The firearms as a whole were never banned. Now, further, if you look at other countries that have banned entire classes of firearms, namely semi-automatics, you'll see time and time again then number turned in falls far short of the estimated number possessed by citizens.
    As I understand it, the existing firearms were considered legal, and transferrable. You mentioned the manufacturers found ways to work around it, so during that period (which is while I was in high school and not paying attention to firearm legislation), you could still find and buy an ar-15?

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    I actually own a few pump pellet guns for my SHTF bag. I figured if a solar flare hit, the ammo would run out eventually, but pellet guns and small game hunting would give me a chance.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I actually own a few pump pellet guns for my SHTF bag. I figured if a solar flare hit, the ammo would run out eventually, but pellet guns and small game hunting would give me a chance.
    so close to a 7 million person metro... You'd be sharing a tree with a lot of people with the same idea. There's too many people around for any survival type shtf food gathering to work. which btw means I'm screwed. lol

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As I understand it, the existing firearms were considered legal, and transferable. You mentioned the manufacturers found ways to work around it, so during that period (which is while I was in high school and not paying attention to firearm legislation), you could still find and buy an ar-15?
    Yes you could still find ARs for sale. I don't recall if prices spiked, probably to a point.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    So 1,000 years from now archeologists can find perfectly preserved firearms, mags and ammunition. Then make them wonder why did they bury them instead of use them to fight tyranny.
    Because keeping your guns and ammo is safer than fighting tanks and stuff. Trust me, I've seen the gov't at work....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom