• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    So I have a rifle laying around I would like to upgrade a bit. Nothing over the top. More a matter of upgraded reliability and overall performance. Currently it is an Anderson lower with a standard LPK kit. Mil spec trigger of unknown origin. The upper is a PSA Freedom upper with a nickle boron BCG. So my question is, what would I want to upgrade? This isn't my primary rifle but I would like to improve it as time goes on. I am NOT going to replace the barrel. Not worth it on this rifle. Not including things like optics what would you suggest? First on my list would probably be the trigger. Is anything else really worth it for a base AR? Just curious.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    As far as reliability ….your rifle as it sits, is more more reliable than aftermarket companies would lead you to believe. Our modern ARs are an end product of a design that’s been constantly improved on for the last 60 years.

So with that out of the way. For what you are wanting…. An upgraded trigger is nice no doubt. You should know that some triggers will hamper reliability with steel case ammo. I think the ALG trigger will give you a much cleaner pull that’s still safe and strong enough to pop all primers you come across. It’s a modest price too. Sky is the limit with triggers but for what you want I think it fits the build.

If your rifle is going to see thousands of rounds, I would suggest picking up a spare extractor and extractor spring as well as a spare buffer spring to keep it fresh every 5K or so. If not high volume shooting then I wouldn’t waste the money.

I have discovered that getting an upgraded buffer spring will GREATLY improve the feel and sound of the rifle. Well worth the money.

I haven’t tried upgraded cam pins but I’ve heard of people using them to smooth out bolt carrier lockup. Might be unnecessary but I’d like to try one. People seem to love them.

Other than that, I think your carbine should treat you quite well as it is, I would spend a little money on a stock and grip, then optics. Those make a lot of difference and can change how you feel about the rifle. Hope it serves you well, keep us posted with some pics :cheers:

Last edited:

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    As far as reliability ….your rifle as it sits, is more more reliable than aftermarket companies would lead you to believe. Our modern ARs are an end product of a design that’s been constantly improved on for the last 60 years.

So with that out of the way. For what you are wanting…. An upgraded trigger is nice no doubt. You should know that some triggers will hamper reliability with steel case ammo. I think the ALG trigger will give you a much cleaner pull that’s still safe and strong enough to pop all primers you come across. It’s a modest price too. Sky is the limit with triggers but for what you want I think it fits the build.

If your rifle is going to see thousands of rounds, I would suggest picking up a spare extractor and extractor spring as well as a spare buffer spring to keep it fresh every 5K or so. If not high volume shooting then I wouldn’t waste the money.

I have discovered that getting an upgraded buffer spring will GREATLY improve the feel and sound of the rifle. Well worth the money.

I haven’t tried upgraded cam pins but I’ve heard of people using them to smooth out bolt carrier lockup. Might be unnecessary but I’d like to try one. People seem to love them.

Other than that, I think your carbine should treat you quite well as it is, I would spend a little money on a stock and grip, then optics. Those make a lot of difference and can change how you feel about the rifle. Hope it serves you well, keep us posted with some pics :cheers:
    Thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated. I currently have a DI Optics Raven II red dot on it. I had it hanging around. Sort of unheard of but a really solid optic, albeit a little heavy. I think you could drive nails with the thing. Now out of production. Have a Magpul MOE grip on it and trying to decide on a stock. I have a B5 Systems SOPMOD on another rifle and I like it but I am leanuing towards the LWRC Compact which is a little less money. I will try and post pics once I get it closer to where I want it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Another vote for the Larue MBT2 Trigger. Most of my ARs are pretty basic, but every one of them gets a Larue trigger. They're worth it.

The other thing I like is a Magpul MIAD grip with the large inserts installed (I have long fingers and the A2 grip is too small for me, but if it fits you there's nothing wrong with the A2), and a replacement trigger guard, because if you've ever had the frame ears behind a mil-spec one grinding on the side of your middle finger for hours while you run drills or even just hold a perimeter, you'll get that thing replaced the next day! Magpul and BCM both make inexpensive options that fill that gap between the ears and are much easier on your hand.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Another vote for the Larue MBT2 Trigger. Most of my ARs are pretty basic, but every one of them gets a Larue trigger. They're worth it.

The other thing I like is a Magpul MIAD grip with the large inserts installed (I have long fingers and the A2 grip is too small for me, but if it fits you there's nothing wrong with the A2), and a replacement trigger guard, because if you've ever had the frame ears behind a mil-spec one grinding on the side of your middle finger for hours while you run drills or even just hold a perimeter, you'll get that thing replaced the next day! Magpul and BCM both make inexpensive options that fill that gap between the ears and are much easier on your hand.
    Got one of the Magpul trigger guards on it. Put that on when I built the lower some time back. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As long as it runs reliably, just a trigger, sling and a red dot of some sort.

Then buy some next level ammo and see how well it will shoot off of bags.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Trigger: put Geissele 2-stage . . . their least expensive . . . in all mine. Not the least expensive brand, but a better trigger would be a definite upgrade from the mil-spec (lived with one in M16A1/A2 for some years in the military).

Optics: Used the Romeo7 full size 1x30 red dot on some with more rail to work with, and I've used the Romeo5 XDR red circle dot on others without as much rail. Been very happy with both . . . and prefer the Romeo7 1x30 if it fits well as it has the larger objective and finding the dot is easy compared to some others. That said, the red circle dot in the smaller 20mm Romeo5 XDR comes into view very rapidly; no hunting for a dot. You didn't mention iron sights or what you currently have. Not a fan of the MagPul . . . especially the plastic ones (a PSA upper came with one . . . ugh). Also didn't mention if you have an A2 front sight post with gas block. You can spend $$$$$ on KAC front and rear the USMC uses, which are exceptional and bomb proof but you'll pay top dollar for it. The least expensive I've found in the very robust metal ones are the Troy Industries; comes in several variants. Alternative but cost a bit more are Midwest Industries.

BCG: If you want a new BCG, I'm partial to the DLC as it's the next best thing to chrome or NP3 which are both hard to find and expensive when you do find one. I've used Next Level Armament and Toolcraft, with a slight leaning toward the NLA, and the Toolcraft usually less expensive. Both have been very good and lube clings to the DLC, plus they're easy to clean. Regarding the bolt, 9130 vs C-158 is a tossup for me; flip a coin. Was lucky and found a Toolcraft DLC with 9130 bolt for $95 a while back. Not a fan of nickel-boron or the nitride finishes. Phosphate with chrome lining is better than those, albeit it requires more cleaning effort.

I've used the "guns.deal" website to find best prices. A lot of this stuff goes in and out of stock. Some of what you mention are the reasons I do my own builds now . . . lets you create what you want from the get-go versus having to buy stuff and change it on one that's off the shelf. That said, if an off-the-shelf were configured with exactly what I wanted for a build, I'd probably buy it if it were less expensive than all its parts bought separately. Depends on whether you've got the proper tools for your own builds, or are willing to buy them.

Muzzle Device: didn't mention that, and if you've got a standard A1 or A2 bird cage, they're very good. Replaced the bird cages on mine with Smith Enterprise Vortex which is used by SOCOM forces on some of their rifles and light machineguns. It's considered the Gold Standard for flash suppression, and is a notch up from the A1/A2 bird cages, especially at night albeit longer than one. It's not a recoil or muzzle rise compensator.

Furniture: didn't mention that, but a more comfortable pistol grip with an ideal angle for your hold can make use much easier and improve your accuracy. If you're happy with what you've got, don't fix what isn't broke.

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Most of my basic ARs that I build all have an Anderson SS trigger with Kaw Valley Precision reduced power trigger springs and a trigger adjuster from Joe Bob Outfitters. When adjusted, it gives me a nice single stage trigger with a short reset. I have used them on mil-spec triggers with good results as well. Less than $20 shipped. This is a cheap upgrade for a standard trigger that will yield better results. I have a couple Geissele G2S, an ALG ACT and a couple Rise Armament Rave 140 triggers as well and they are nice too, but I typically stick with the above combo.
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-15-Reduced-Power-Trigger-S-p/kvp-rptk.htm

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm really impressed with my LaRue trigger...less than 100$
    Same. And you get really cool swag with your orders like the bottle breaching tool. (tactical bottle opener in the shape of an armadillo) I placed my last order in Dec and the breacher was painted red, had two small holes drilled in the top for string, and said "Merry Christmas." It could be made into an ornament. :):

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have a ton of G triggers. From the G2S up to the national match and several in between. I have 1 LaRue MBT 2 stage. I like it for the money spent( I bought it for $50 shipped second hand) but I don't care for the wide trigger shoe. Also G triggers will have a faster hammer. I think the best VALUE is the G G2S when on sale. Can get them for $115 on major holidays like Memorial Day and July 4th and black Friday. Now if you feel like having your skirt blown up a bit buy a G Super 3 gun dynamic

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    First replace what you are in contact the most, suggested order: safety,trigger, charging handle, grip/trigger guard, stock.

Second replace what improves the performance of the rifle, theses may not matter what-so-ever depending on your circumstances.

So if you have your M4gery for self-defense, you will very likely be using the weapon at pistol range. Do you need a custom barrel? No, you need classes.
    People misdirect money all the time.

Them: "I needs me a hi-lee akkawrit sub-MOA raffle."
    Me, an intellectual: "Really? Ok, varmint hunting?"
    Them: "Home defense"
    Me: "Just how big is your house?"

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went through this a couple years ago when I decided to "optimize" my firearms. I went too far but it is what it is now.

As far as my AR, I replaced my Anderson upper and lower with Aero's M4E1 stuff. I replaced a Leapers handguard with the Aero Quantum handguard. I replaced a Leapers fixed stock with a Bravo SOP Mod 5 stock.

Then I added an Arisaka M-Lok Indexer Defense hand stop, Trijicon MRO and a Streamlight HLX.

Kept the original SSA-E trigger, Larue 16" Mid length Wylde barrel and the other small parts.

I had sold all my AR's awhile before this but after I was down to zero AR's, I felt like I needed one. I hastily built the first edition and later felt like I went a little too low budget so I did what I did.

And I have hardly shot it since! I would sell it, but in today's market I would lose substantially. So it sits in my safe, comfortable and clean.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    So I have a rifle laying around I would like to upgrade a bit. Nothing over the top. More a matter of upgraded reliability and overall performance. Currently it is an Anderson lower with a standard LPK kit. Mil spec trigger of unknown origin. The upper is a PSA Freedom upper with a nickle boron BCG. So my question is, what would I want to upgrade? This isn't my primary rifle but I would like to improve it as time goes on. I am NOT going to replace the barrel. Not worth it on this rifle. Not including things like optics what would you suggest? First on my list would probably be the trigger. Is anything else really worth it for a base AR? Just curious.
    Another LaRue mbt vote. Geissele g2s is even better for a bit more money. That's probably all you really need if youve already got a solid stock. Otherwise CTR

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I always tell folks "don't buy a Geissele trigger." :nono:

Put a Geissele trigger in your rifle and every rifle you have from here on out will have to have one. :rolleyes:
    I did that with the Larue MBT years ago then got tired of Larue's website ordering vs actual/real stock issues. It is the 2020's. Hire some decent programmers and fix your ordering to mfg integration. (It may be fixed now. I haven't ordered from Larue in a year or two).

So, my new goto 2 stage is from Schmid. https://www.schmidtool.com/ You can generally find them on sale for less than a Larue MBT. YMMV. :ingo:

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    OK. So I originally ask about upgrades to a basic AR I described in the original post. I thought I would check back in and post some upgrades. Since then I have added the following: Magpul MOE Grip, Magpul MOE Trigger Guard, Radian Raptor LT charging handle and a Rise Armament Rave 140 Trigger group. Haven't decided on a perm optic yet. I have some things lying around but might go another route. I put some UTG BUIS I had in the safe on it. I know, it's Chinese stuff but they are built pretty well and they are backups so... I think it is a pretty solid rifle at this point.

Top Bottom