• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Is it illegal to offer reloads for sale if they are not from a licensed manufacturer? I know some people stipulate they are selling for components only but, otherwise, is this illegal?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Idk about legality, but I would caution people to stay away from reloads. The exception being and trusted manufacturer. In my naivety, I got burnt by a small time Reloading business last time ammo got scarce.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember some companies like Star reloading that made and sold reloads commercially. I can't think of any today, liability may have pushed them out.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Devil's advocate post:

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

So if you are not doing it for your "livelihood" AND "profit" would it be allowed? Let's say, oh, 5 boxes of 100 for two or three people and you only charge five bucks over your components. Liability issues aside, what says the INGO/lawyer crowd?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Devil's advocate post:

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

So if you are not doing it for your "livelihood" AND "profit" would it be allowed? Let's say, oh, 5 boxes of 100 for two or three people and you only charge five bucks over your components. Liability issues aside, what says the INGO/lawyer crowd?
    Liability is where it’s at. You’re going to make $25 profit on 5 boxes, and when one of your customers has a split case, blows up his gun, puts an eye out and successfully sues you for $250K, you’ll be wishing you’d tried another hobby!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wont even GIVE people my reloads due to the liability risk.

I did make one batch of 25 for a friend at church to try having never shot flat points before, but those were essentially hand loaded, with the charge double checked with a scale.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wont even GIVE people my reloads due to the liability risk.

I did make one batch of 25 for a friend at church to try having never shot flat points before, but those were essentially hand loaded, with the charge double checked with a scale.
    That's generally where I'm at. The one exception was loading some 6.5x53R Dutch ammo (pretty much unobtanium) for myself and 2 other INGOers, but we all shared the cost of components and I basically just provided the labor for free. They were loaded on a single stage press, with each round checked and double checked, and I was the first to test fire them.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Family shoots my reloads, with me, usually in my guns.
    The one shooting buddy would buy the components and we would assemble them, mostly me. He passed away last year so only family now.

Don't believe I would ever sell them. Sold my 348 Winchester and components, pulled apart all the reloads I had before shipping.

Don

Bratch1976

Bratcher Sr competition shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Chesterton Indiana
    Place in NWI is all reloads. They sell it at just about every gun show. I think I’ve heard about just about everything happening over the years with their stuff. Somehow they stay in business. Every company that makes ammunition including the big names have issues with their ammunition the key is if they cover it or not. Any reputable ammunition company will cover the gun and replace the ammunition when people have problems. A company like the one in NWI is selling reloads. Other companies try to say they have remanufactured when making reloads. Then yet other companies manufacture all of their ammunition out of brand new components making brand new ammunition. All of the above however have their issues the key is how they cover it with their customers. My son and I have worked for ammunition companies for years now. We have seen all kinds of issues and the key is always how the company backs up their product. There’s definitely a lot of peoples reloads for sale at the gun shows. It’s hard to know what you’re buying at those places. Always important to buy from somebody reputable.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Just to be clear, I don't want to, nor plan on doing this. The question I pose is only about the legality of it with regard to the BATFE and the aforementioned situation.
    To this point, it maybe legal, but it will cost you to prove it if Big Brother comes after you. Justice maybe blind, but it's not free.

Top Bottom