Selling a rifle: should the person have an LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    A friend of a friend told me... "I'm not worried about selling a gun, and starting some chain of events that ends with a Fed at my door. I'm more concerned about a Fed sending a prohibited person to my door at the beginning of the chain, asking to buy my gun."

I think this guy also talks conservative a lot online, and watches documentaries about some guy that lived on a mountain in Idaho. He's kind of weird, and mumbles things like "Don't cut a barrel for a friend, and if you do, don't trust their mark. Measure it twice for yourself."

Never could understand the guy....but I always feel a bit paranoid after being around him.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I like how you just turned this conversation to “and this is why we should open carry, kids”.

OC solves as many problems as acting as an agent of the state, promoting more statism, and stoking the fear of the state by requiring the showing of a little pink permission slip.

I’m not their cop. Don’t give me a reason to think you’re prohibited and were gtg.
    My point being that I'm not excessively worried about crimes being committed with my former guns when the buyer was clearly armed already.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A friend of a friend told me... "I'm not worried about selling a gun, and starting some chain of events that ends with a Fed at my door. I'm more concerned about a Fed sending a prohibited person to my door at the beginning of the chain, asking to buy my gun."

I think this guy also talks conservative a lot online, and watches documentaries about some guy that lived on a mountain in Idaho. He's kind of weird, and mumbles things like "Don't cut a barrel for a friend, and if you do, don't trust their mark. Measure it twice for yourself."

Never could understand the guy....but I always feel a bit paranoid after being around him.

Perhaps he is concerned that some worthless constitution shredding piece of **** is going to murder his wife and child and shoot his dog. Perhaps he is worried they some piece of **** will burn his house to the ground when it is filled with women and children. Tough to say.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Perhaps he is concerned that some worthless constitution shredding piece of **** is going to murder his wife and child and shoot his dog. Perhaps he is worried they some piece of **** will burn his house to the ground when it is filled with women and children. Tough to say.
    Hmmm... never considered it that way. You just may be on to something.....

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Ask them if they're a resident of this state (?),
    and ask them if they're prohibited from owning firearms (?).
    If they answer "yes",
    then "no",
    and you have no reason to believe they lied, you've met your burden as the Seller.

Though it doesn't hurt to ask them to flash their driver's license without recording anything to confirm residency.
    This is about as far as I go as well on here at least.

If it's a member that's been around a while and has a fair amount of transactions I usually just ask to see an ID and ask if they're prohibited in an obviously joking manner as some people are easy to offend.

If there is a day someone does get offended at that or/and won't at least flash me an ID I don't know what I'd do but I might walk away from the sale.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Having a physicall card of LTCH on one’s person means absolutely nothing without the ability to run that person through the state police database.

It’s not like the police go to your home and take back your wallet card when you are convicted or under indictment for a felony.

If you are concerned then do a transfer through a LGS. That’s the only way you will ever know of the person is actually a prohibited person.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have never gotten the fascination with LTCH to buy on this website.

Y’all looks like a bunch of stooges for Giffords when you do that crap.
    The seller sets the terms. If the terms are reasonable a buyer will accept the terms. If not, the item will not sell.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Just like a broad-brush statement like your second sentence isn't within the rules of this forum.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The seller sets the terms. If the terms are reasonable a buyer will accept the terms. If not, the item will not sell.
    Some selling set themselfs up to wait forever for somethings to sell. Like posting Contender barrels that have to meet in person and show id. Items like that one can just order online or off others sites and have shipped in the mail or ups with no id needed.
    I dont get passing up the huge portion of membership thats not gonna drive across the state when something can be easily shipped for 10-15 bucks.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Some selling set themselfs up to wait forever for somethings to sell. Like posting Contender barrels that have to meet in person and show id. Items like that one can just order online or off others sites and have shipped in the mail or ups with no id needed.
    I dont get passing up the huge portion of membership thats not gonna drive across the state when something can be easily shipped for 10-15 bucks.
    The market will decide on these issues. Most of the rules here at INGO are classifieds-related. Within the rules? All is cool. Hey that rhymes, all the time.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I just sold a rifle this week to a friend of my daughter's boy friend. They took the gun to his house and brought back cash. No paper work, no looking at his LTCH or DL. No bill of sale. Didn't even have to leave the house. Why people go out of their way to make this so difficult is beyond me.
    Once bitten twice shy. Would not be the first time I heard "Never thought they would do something like that". Last time I bought a gun off INGO, I drove an hour and we both went over the gun and what went with it and after I counted out cash the seller counted it out himself. Not that we did not trust each other but it save the whining " He lied to/cheated me thread" filled with :poop: slinging.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Once bitten twice shy. Would not be the first time I heard "Never thought they would do something like that". Last time I bought a gun off INGO, I drove an hour and we both went over the gun and what went with it and after I counted out cash the seller counted it out himself. Not that we did not trust each other but it save the whining " He lied to/cheated me thread" filled with :poop: slinging.

Ah, yes, the ol’ “trust, but verify.” It’s the smart way of doing business! :)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It seems like we had a discussion on this subject a while back, but it's always good for discussion. We are after all, an Internet discussion forum ;)

To purchase a firearm (which a barrel itself is not) here in the Great State of Indiana there is not a LEGAL requirement to have a LTCH.

If the seller sets certain terms for a sale, that is between the seller and the buyer. If the terms are reasonable? There will be buyers. LTCH indicates a lawful possessor of firearms. An Indiana drivers license indicates State of residency. Indiana Code contains the word "knowingly" in reference to selling a firearm to a prohibited possessor.

If the terms of the seller are "a bridge too far", the market will decide that this isn't of value.

Is a LTCH required (per Indiana Code) to buy a firearm? No. Is a barrel a firearm? No. Can the seller set terms as to who can buy? Yes. As a private seller, can an individual choose not to sell to anyone, for any reason, no matter how much cash they offer? Yes.

Does the seller have the option to sell at a 50% discount to staff members with distinguished grey beards who live in Hendricks County? Yes, but that might be "a bridge too far."
    Post #7 this thread.
    I have never gotten the fascination with LTCH to buy on this website.

Y’all looks like a bunch of stooges for Giffords when you do that crap.
    Post #51 this thread.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Just like a broad-brush statement like your second sentence isn't within the rules of this forum.
    My reply to post #51/post #52 of this thread. For those of you scoring at home, that is an "in-thread warning".
    Creedmoor (#54) comments on the first sentence of post #52, other discussions on this subject have occurred lately.

The market will decide on these issues. Most of the rules here at INGO are classifieds-related. Within the rules? All is cool. Hey that rhymes, all the time.
    My reply/post #55 to Creedmoor: part Milton Friedman, part Dad-jokes, pretty much my approach to many things.

This is the first part of the now deleted post that lead to the hammer dropping: It’s not a broad brush to say that requiring LTCH is making you a gun controlling stooge.

Not just no, but hell no. First off, I'm not requiring ****. Second, the seller sets the terms. Does anyone want the staff to direct the terms of a sale outside what is legal and what is within the rules? I do believe that is also a "hell no."

Finally, it will be a cold damn day in hell before calling any member of this forum a "gun controlling stooge" is acceptable. The members of this forum played a large role in Indiana becoming the 24th State with Constitution Carry of handguns. So not only is it inappropriate, it is flat out wrong.

Well that was a little longer than planned. Some days are like that...

Top Bottom