• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock_22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2023
    Morgantown
    I was involved in a self defense situation couple years ago. Taking a buddy to sell one of his guns. Long story made short my buddy was shot and I shot one of the aggressors. But now the guy who tried robbing us is still on the run and I tried doing a firearm retrieval but they denied it. Because he is still on the run. why are they still wanting to hold onto my firearm when I’m not the criminal here? They should run the forensics and return my gun right?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I was involved in a self defense situation couple years ago. Taking a buddy to sell one of his guns. Long story made short my buddy was shot and I shot one of the aggressors. But now the guy who tried robbing us is still on the run and I tried doing a firearm retrieval but they denied it. Because he is still on the run. why are they still wanting to hold onto my firearm when I’m not the criminal here? They should run the forensics and return my gun right?

They SHOULD. They probably won't.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If they gave it back to you, some defense attorney will probably get the guy off be cause of it. Obviously they were trying to hide something by not keeping the gun for their expert to inspect it.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    It's probably still an open case. If the robber is still on the run they may need your gun for evidence, if they ever catch him.

Either spend the money for an attorney or buy another gun, it will cost you either way!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The headache and cost of a suit to get the gun back will be prohibitive. More than likely being retained as evidence for a trial well into the future. Rather, spend the $$ on a new handgun. :dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Let me guess, Marion County?
    Woah, this is textbook Evidence 101 and not a Marion County thing. You have an open aggravated assault case, the evidence has to stay in place until the case is resolved. Defense is entitled to access to it as part of their defense. If we are still waiting for the suspect's day in court, the evidence cannot go away.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The headache and cost of a suit to get the gun back will be prohibitive. More than likely being retained as evidence for a trial well into the future. Rather, spend the $$ on a new handgun. :dunno:
    Suit will be money wasted. It's evidence and no one will release it BEFORE the trial.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So for ,clarification this occurred two years ago? Perpetrator never apprehended and you have waited this long to think about doing something?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Sorry to hear the ****** got away.

Glock_22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2023
    Morgantown
    So for ,clarification this occurred two years ago? Perpetrator never apprehended and you have waited this long to think about doing something?
    I’ve been trying constantly since the day it was taken. But same issue and I’ve contacted attorneys but they don’t seem to interested in helping me so just gotta wait it out I guess.

Glock_22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2023
    Morgantown
    Woah, this is textbook Evidence 101 and not a Marion County thing. You have an open aggravated assault case, the evidence has to stay in place until the case is resolved. Defense is entitled to access to it as part of their defense. If we are still waiting for the suspect's day in court, the evidence cannot go away.
    You’re right but they haven’t put any effort in to catch the guy it’s just a long never ending process. Carried the wrong gun that day. They have a custom Glock

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    You’re right but they haven’t put any effort in to catch the guy it’s just a long never ending process. Carried the wrong gun that day. They have a custom Glock
    Pick up a Dagger at Parabellum. Not expensive and VERY reliable. After two years I doubt they are looking for the perp and that makes me think getting you gun returned is going to be a crap shoot.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The Courts do not care about that. If/when he is caught, he has a right to review evidence against him. The weapon used is one of those items. If we use a firearm against someone, it gets entered into property as evidence. If it is a department issued weapon, we'll never see it again, we are issued a replacement. If it is a personal firearm, like a patrol rifle, it could be years before I get it back. It's a self defense weapon. It was used to defend your life. It has done it's job. Write it off and buy a replacement.

Top Bottom