• T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Hello

I've ran Federal HST 147gr 9mm for self defense purposes for years. I like the performance of it based on numerous reputable sources I trust. My stock is about dried up. I was paying around $25/50rds for the "LE" boxes pre-Covid. Yes, I know it's not that price anymore. I'd like to replace it, with a few caveats below.

- My stockpile of target ammo is mostly 115gr and the 147gr HST do not have the same POI. Very annoying since I moved to all red dots on my P320's and P365XL. I don't want to sight in for target ammo on a carry gun that I practice with. So, I'd like something that has a similar POI as 115gr FMJ ammo. Aguila and Norma specifically.

- Anything out there performance wise that's similar to HST, but at a lower price point? A dollar per round can get pretty salty when sighting in 3 handguns and having extras in spare mags.

Used to be a pretty good chart on Lucky Gunner years ago, not sure if something like that has been revised lately?

Thanks!

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The Lucky Gunner chart does not seem to have been updated since about 2015 but still has some useful info I believe.

I have been using Speer GD 124 gr +P in my full size handguns, still have about 250 rnds I bought from CM in my stock. Seems to me POA/POI is very similar to my 124 gr Norma FMJ.

For my carry pistols I have been loading Sig V-crown 124 gr JHP. Runs between $0.65-0.70/rnd in 50 rnd boxes and can usually pick it up at one of my LGS (current box has $34.99 tag). This shoots similar to the Norma as well.

Both seem to do well on Lucky Gunners chart and other sources I have seen (but you know what kind of info is on the internet—YMMV).

Be curious to see what others think.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The Lucky Gunner chart does not seem to have been updated since about 2015 but still has some useful info I believe.

I have been using Speer GD 124 gr +P in my full size handguns, still have about 250 rnds I bought from CM in my stock. Seems to me POA/POI is very similar to my 124 gr Norma FMJ.

For my carry pistols I have been loading Sig V-crown 124 gr JHP. Runs between $0.65-0.70/rnd in 50 rnd boxes and can usually pick it up at one of my LGS (current box has $34.99 tag). This shoots similar to the Norma as well.

Both seem to do well on Lucky Gunners chart and other sources I have seen (but you know what kind of info is on the internet—YMMV).

Be curious to see what others think.
    I have 30 rounds of that same Sig ammo and was one I had in mind. Sig sent me 2 boxes a few years back when they dropped the ball on sending my 2nd P365 mag.

I need to sit down and review that chart again.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have 30 rounds of that same Sig ammo and was one I had in mind. Sig sent me 2 boxes a few years back when they dropped the ball on sending my 2nd P365 mag.

I need to sit down and review that chart again.
    Since I replied, I have gone to the range with my Rami with a new trigger and magazine springs (+10%) to test it as I had not yet tried any defensive ammo. The Sig v-crown has a noticeable shorter OAL and has run fine in my P365 and PCR but in the Rami the hollow point kept catching on the feed ramp. Did not have any GD with me but that will be next as it is longer.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Since I replied, I have gone to the range with my Rami with a new trigger and magazine springs (+10%) to test it as I had not yet tried any defensive ammo. The Sig v-crown has a noticeable shorter OAL and has run fine in my P365 and PCR but in the Rami the hollow point kept catching on the feed ramp. Did not have any GD with me but that will be next as it is longer.
    I remember having issues feeding JHP with a Rami. Pretty sure the issue was only with the 14rd mag and the extra power spring fixed the issue for me.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thinking about this logically and looking at velocity. The Federal HST 147gr are rated at 1000fps at the muzzle and my 115gr target ammo is somewhere in the 1150fps range. I don't know why I would expect those to have a similar POI at 25 yards.

Right now, I'm considering 115/124 Sig V-Crown or 124+P Rem Golden Saber.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    HST is about the best value in consistent defensive ammo out there from what I find.

Options:
    1). The 127 gr HST performs just about as well as the 147 gr, and should be close enough to your 115 gr practice ammo for practical purposes.
    2). Alternatively, your could switch your training ammo to match your carry ammo. I mean, carry is the priority right? Don’t let the tail wag the dog. Speer Lawman FMJ is available in 124 and 147 gr for this reason.

Top Bottom