• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I plan to get an ambidextrous safety for my Springfield Armory Ronin 45 ACP. I would appreciate recommendations on brands/models from those of you who have done this modification and/or have knowledge from the 1911 community of what is popular and works well from an installation and reliability standpoint.

Thanks

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I plan to get an ambidextrous safety for my Springfield Armory Ronin 45 ACP. I would appreciate recommendations on brands/models from those of you who have done this modification and/or have knowledge from the 1911 community of what is popular and works well from an installation and reliability standpoint.

Thanks
    Be aware none are truly drop in and require some fitting.
    I have had good luck with the Wilson Combat 192 in blue or stainless.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Wilson Bullet proof ambi safety is an excellent one. Not cheap though and yes it takes some know how to fit one.
    If you have never installed one this is not the safety to practice on

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The Wilson Combat Bulletproof is my favorite and have them on all of my 1911s except 1.
    Heed Allen's advice, get it installed by a professional. They're kinda pricey to take a chance on someone bubba ing it up.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Wilson Combat. All safeties will require minor fitting. Side note, make sure your grips will not get in the way of the safety as well. I've had multiple customers have troubles installing their own ambi safeties, only to find out it was the grips causing problems.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The Wilson Combat Bulletproof is my favorite and have them on all of my 1911s except 1.
    Heed Allen's advice, get it installed by a professional. They're kinda pricey to take a chance on someone bubba ing it up.
    +1 on bcannon and AllenM's advice, the Wilson Bulletproof is probably the best one out there and much superior to the old under the grip style.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Wilson Bullet proof ambi safety is an excellent one. Not cheap though and yes it takes some know how to fit one.
    If you have never installed one this is not the safety to practice on
    While I'm a left handed shooter and want the ambi safety function on my 1911, I have a secondary motive in that I would like to learn to do some basic work on my guns. I could easily pay a smith to do this but would miss the opportunity to learn something in the process. If I did some reading and started with a less expensive part to reduce the risk of a costly mistake, is this a project I could teach myself to do? I have good mechanical skills and can follow directions. With that said, I can also follow advice when someone with more knowledge steers me away from a bad idea.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Ye
    While I'm a left handed shooter and want the ambi safety function on my 1911, I have a secondary motive in that I would like to learn to do some basic work on my guns. I could easily pay a smith to do this but would miss the opportunity to learn something in the process. If I did some reading and started with a less expensive part to reduce the risk of a costly mistake, is this a project I could teach myself to do? I have good mechanical skills and can follow directions. With that said, I can also follow advice when someone with more knowledge steers me away from a bad idea.
    Yes it is something you can teach yourself and it is wise to start with a cheaper one.
    It is not hard once you grasp where to remove material and how much. But there is a fine line between not taking enough off so you have a mushy feeling safety. Or taking to much off and no safety.

Get one of these and it will really help with fitting
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...se-blocks/1911-armorer-s-block-prod27493.aspx

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Thanks
    In order I go with Ed Brown, Rock River, Les Baer and Wilson. Not sure of cost differences these days but the Brown, Baer and Rock River are all thinner like designed but a Wilson is thicker material on cam material. I haven’t fit one for over 10 years so this may be old info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Get a good armorers block. The square black one from 10-8 has a jig in it to fit the thumb safety. Get a set of "GOOD" India stones and a couple of Swiss files in fine and medium. This is the minimum tooling for this work. Have someone show you or find a good source on YouTube and watch the video but even then, I would not start here. It is way to easy to screw this one up by taking just that silly mm too much off the locking surface.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In order I go with Ed Brown, Rock River, Les Baer and Wilson. Not sure of cost differences these days but the Brown, Baer and Rock River are all thinner like designed but a Wilson is thicker material on cam material. I haven’t fit one for over 10 years so this may be old info.
    Also depending on the frame, the slot on the safety may need to be made wider to clear. Had this issue on 2 Kimbers and a springer.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Also when fitting the plunger/detent area you need to err on the stiff side as You want a distinctive clean haptic response. A cheesy mush movement here and with wear will cause you problems.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I get wanting to do your own work. I do almost everything on my own. Guns, cars, homes, bikes, it doesn't matter.

But there are times I hire out. When I was thinking of putting an ambi safety on my 1911, I was going to ask Allen to do it.

Yes, I could learn by doing it myself, but I could also screw up a $60 safety. By the time I picked up an armorers block and possibly a few other tools I am shy on, I would have been farther ahead paying to get it installed.

Of course, if you think you may do more of them in the future, then it's definitely worth it. I didn't see myself ever doing more than one and even at that I talked myself out of it in the end and returned the safety.

Top Bottom