• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It’s hard to get a decent Garand on the secondary market for under $1000 these days.
    That seems to be the lowest price at shows anymore and goes up from there.

You can purchase from the cmp but there is no guarantee what you will get other than an M1. It could be pre war, war time or post war. New wood, old wood , good wood or poor wood are all possibilities. There is also the wait and the buying sight unseen which is troubling for some folks. If you are good with that it’s hard to beat.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Update on the possible opening of the north store for the national matches...

Attention Competitors​

CMP North Store Update
    At this time, CMP has very limited ammunition and rifles available for purchase. Rifle and Ammo sales will be limited to NATIONAL MATCH COMPETITORS ONLY starting Monday, July 12 (visitors must show proof of National Match registration).

We will limit the amount of ammunition, (depending on what we will have available), and there will be a one rifle limit per competitor during each phase (pistol, smallbore/rimfire, rifle and long range). Limits are subject to change due to inventory. Click HERE to download the North Store Schedule.

We cannot guarantee items will be in stock and encourage competitors to bring their own ammunition to shoot in the National Matches.

Please stop by and check out our National Match Memorabilia items! We don’t want you to leave Camp Perry empty handed! If you have any questions please email Melissa Hille , CMP North Store Manager.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Civilian Marksmanship Program​

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I agree, the CMP is the way to go, although they are backlogged and shut down at the moment. The backlog is real...I've ordered two rifles through them. The first one back pre-stupidity took about two weeks. The most recent one I ordered the end of January this year and did not receive it until early May. Yes, there are some hoops to jump through for the CMP, but it's not that bad. Definitely worth it over paying the prices for a commercially available M1 these days.

I've been to the North Store, and must have hit it at a bad time because inventory was poor. My buddy and I (both night shifters) got up at 4am and drove over there and got there when it opened. They had a few racks of really nice and really expensive ($3000+) M1D or C snipers, some decent looking special grade M1s for $1080, and 4 or 5 rack grades that were just horrible. I'd gone looking for a decent field or service grade and left disappointed.

A few years later, I placed an order for a "Special Rack Grade" for $650...refinished receiver, with new CMP wood and a new production criterion barrel. I'm very happy with the gun I got...high 6-digit SA with minimal pitting, an IHC bolt, and that criterion barrel is a great shooter. There was an issue with doubling as the hammer hooks were out of spec, but I fixed that problem with a new trigger and hammer (CMP might have fixed it if I'd asked, but I was able to correct it for about $50, so I didn't ask...not worth the bother of shipping it back). My brothers each got one of these as well, and while they both got nice rifles (with no mechanical issues) mine is a little cleaner (less pitting, clearer roll-marks, no rust on my op-rod, etc).

My second order was for a service grade for $750. I ended up getting a nice low 6-digit SA from before the US entered the war. It has a WRA bolt an an H&R barrel...a true mixmaster. I was a little disappointed that this one came with CMP wood as well...I was kind of hoping for original GI, but it's hard to complain because the CMP stocks are so nice. The gun is in good shape...on par with my special rack, and shoots well, but I feel like the only thing that really sets it apart from the cheaper gun is the GI barrel.

In my experience, if you're looking for a shooter, the Special Rack Grade is the best deal out there. If you want something "correct" and collectible (which unless you get incredibly lucky, a "service grade" won't be), you're looking at a LOT more $$$, and you'll be well outside my area of experience. In the pic below, the rack grade is the one with the sling.

51168406501_23e21640a0_o.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have signed up for the 1PM relay. I am available to help someone on the 1100 relay if you need help. I plan on being on post by 0900 or so...

I am squadded Relay two, Target 7.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    FYI I was told several years ago when considering buying my first M1, that the bulk of the M1s pass through the south store. The North store gets the leftovers and excess as needed. When I mentioned driving there to someone, I was advised if I wanted to pick my own, Go south or don't bother.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    FYI I was told several years ago when considering buying my first M1, that the bulk of the M1s pass through the south store. The North store gets the leftovers and excess as needed. When I mentioned driving there to someone, I was advised if I wanted to pick my own, Go south or don't bother.
    Not in my experience. But I am just one guy. I bought my first rifle when it was DCM and one in a lifetime. 265 bucks. Brand new. I have bought several over the years from the CMP and not a one ever disappointed. I admit that the rifles being sold the last few years are pretty poor imports....

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    What a joy it was years ago to go to N. Store and pick one out from literally hundreds on the racks of all grades. 1st trip there they had tables and guys could tear them down themselves to check on original parts...I guess one guy had several he was tearing down and must of been swapping parts to make what he wanted....guy from behind counter stopped him cold and said "we don't do that here." and that guy was gone. My son and I picked out two 6 digits M1 Garands from Nov. 1942 FG. My next trip couple years later I found a nice FG H&R like new except the stock was black and had hammer marks all over it...kept picking it up for some reason....then I really looked and through the black I barley saw tiger stripe! Bought it for $595. Stripped the wood and used the water and clothe ironing method and steamed those huge dents back up. Love me tiger stripe...I wondered how long that sat and how many people passed on it before I got it...lol. Those were the good ol days of the CMP.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yeah. If you plan to shop the North Store*, keep an eye on the CMP forum and time your visit for the arrival of the latest truck. In more recent times those trucks have been few and far between. But every now and then, they do get tossed a good shipment.

* The same holds true of the South Store though. Before they acquired the 87K PI Garands, even the South Store's selection left much to be desired. The mail order processing has always taken priority over the Store inventory. Always check the forum for inventory reports before making the drive.

One of my best CMP store experiences was at the North Store, my only visit to the North Store. On the CMP forum, the word was out that the North Store had gotten a shipment of Winchester M1Ds. I hopped in the car Friday Night after work, got a room in Port Clinton and was first in line on Saturday morning. There were two racks of Service Grade WRA M1Ds, two racks of Field Grade WRA M1Ds, the usual assortment of SA M1Cs and M1Ds, a couple racks of Service Grade IHC M1s and a couple racks of the CMP Special Service Grades. I spent quite a while picking my M1D. I finally opted for a six digit serial numbered WRA with a receiver that was one of the first 16500 rifles delivered by WRA.

lCmpOwS.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I shot into a bronze medal. i should have used match ammo...lots of rounds passing into the target way off call.

I was stunned at how many competitors. No more than 50. The last time I shot National Garand match there were over 1500. I claimed a Gold that year. 7th from the top. This years chintzy little lapel pin qualifies as a medal, I guess. Even Rhonda said, WTH when I showed it her. I have better in the display case just waiting for my grandchildren to throw in the garbage when I stop breathing.

At least I got John from Vermilion OH squared away on his sling and how to shoot the prone rapids. Nice guy. He was grinning after he understood how to breathe on his second mag.....But then again, everybody is nice when your rifle is nearby. smiley face....

I am thinking seriously about shooting the NRA Nationals at Camp Atterbury. I have not done that for a while. Maybe iron sight service rifle......

Last edited:

Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Three months later and I am still looking. I found the one I wanted with a WWII stock, receiver, and barrel. Tried to buy it and the seller decided to donate it. While I was trying to purchase it, I passed on another.
    I assumed by now the CMP store would reopen, but that doesn’t seem likely anytime soon. This is proving harder than I expected.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Here is a great way to get started in the world of the greatest battle implement ever devised. Let me know if you decide to participate and I'll bring an extra M1 that you can borrow.
    https://www.facebook.com/bedfordcon...BmrSPZMUSTjABailNnahSGu1GZG58bTQ&__tn__=<,P-R

Bedford Contingent

GARAND DAY! October 2nd
    Rimfire Sporter Match at 0930
    Lunch at 1130 (It's WWII era S.o.S but better!)
    Garand Event Briefing at 1200
    $10 for the matches and $5 for lunch.
    The Garand Event will consist of several different timed challenges, feats of marksmanship, and a two-man team challenge using the Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised. (If you've got an M14/M1A we'll allow it if it's in a wood stock!). If you don't have a Garand and still want to join I'm sure there will be people willing to lend their's.

Top Bottom