• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Hello,

Would anyone here be will to assist me with purchasing an M1 Garand? I am a veteran and my grandfather is a WWII veteran who fought in Africa, Normandy, and the Battle of the Bulge. I would like to get a Garand as close to what he carried as possible. I understand about field repairs, etc, but would like to have one to display, share with family, and shoot on occasion.

I’m hoping someone knowledgeable could assist me in the best way to acquire one that is GI issue and as original as possible. I’m not sure if the CMP, Gunbroker, or private collectors are the way to go? I would like to buy once and have a rifle that can be passed down. I also understand that it takes time to fully understand all about these rifles and could use some guidance if someone would be so kind.

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Hello,

Would anyone here be will to assist me with purchasing an M1 Garand? I am a veteran and my grandfather is a WWII veteran who fought in Africa, Normandy, and the Battle of the Bulge. I would like to get a Garand as close to what he carried as possible. I understand about field repairs, etc, but would like to have one to display, share with family, and shoot on occasion.

I’m hoping someone knowledgeable could assist me in the best way to acquire one that is GI issue and as original as possible. I’m not sure if the CMP, Gunbroker, or private collectors are the way to go? I would like to buy once and have a rifle that can be passed down. I also understand that it takes time to fully understand all about these rifles and could use some guidance if someone would be so kind.

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.
    While that’s a nice rifle, you can get a better price on the CMP forum or through the CMP directly...BUT 1964 barrel probably says that it’s been completely rebuilt from the ground up (‘64 was a big year for Arsenal refurbishments of m1’s before the m14 was put into service officially)

If this is going to be your ‘only’ M1, I’d strongly recommend picking one out yourself at either the north or south store. There’s a gentleman that frequents the south store that is constantly helping new folks find the best rifle to suit their needs/collections.

If you have questions about any of the particulars, I’m no expert, but happy to help. I’ve owned 8 M1 Garands and currently down to my last 4 and not planning on thinning the herd anymore. They ARE an addiction, but they’re NOT really special rifles other than the fact that they basically helped us win the war...there were 6.5 MILLION made! If I had to venture a guess I’d bet that at least half of those survived in one form or another.

Ordering through the CMP mail order is not difficult at all. I’ve literally never been disappointed with what they’ve sent, but I’m admittedly pretty easy to please.

Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks for the link. Am I mistaken or is this gun for sale normally at $750 (service grade) when they are available for sale at the CMP? Not trying to be the price police, just inquiring if I am correct.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Right now, both the CMP North and CMP South Stores are closed. There was a bit of a run on M1s by the folks flipping them. They all ordered their 8 rifle annual limit and created a 3 or 4 month backlog of mail orders to fill. The stores are closed to focus resources on clearing the backlog.

The only option for mail order right now are Field Grade M1s at $650. A field grade would be a decent shooter with a 'been there, done that' look. Or you could wait until the backlog clears up and mail order a Service Grade for $750.

You are right. The rifle in the classified section, if purchased directly from the CMP would cost $750.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Be careful though ... They are pretty addicting!
    R3vERMC.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    bear in mind to buy from the CMP requires a bit of homework/qualification.

Two big hits are:
    A member of an affiliated club. Easy enough to fix. Join the Garand collectors association or Indiana State Rifle and pistol Association.

approved training/competition.
    Appleseed, or Reveres riders training, or see the first link for all your options.

So paying the premium for a classified (here or otherwise) may be in your best interest since you cant just purchase one direct from the CMP without being a qualified, well trained and associated individual. Joe sixpack off the streets most likely doesnt qualify for a CMP purchase.

Reactions: Leo

Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I think I meet the requirements. Former military and American Legion member.

TheJoker That is quite a collection.

would it be worth waiting until the CMP stores open again?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Let them choose your grade and buy via mail unless you want something VERY specfic. (like a Winchester receiver because that is what he carried, or a receiver serial that isnt post-WWII)

The experts there grade them to your benefit. They arent like most for profit places that sell you a grade that you'd look at and say "Seriously? you consider this ______ grade? "

Good luck. I hope to once again own another Garand. I had one that was a safe queen I sold for cash to buy something I could spend time with my kids. I dont regret it at all, but would love to have another once I have the extra cash.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You are kinda painting yourself in a corner here. The best way to learn about M1's is the buying and selling until you learn to pick up on what you want.

Until you have been around them, the books about them don't make much sense by just reading them.

On a brighter note, they can be resold and revenue recouped without difficulty.

The best rule to go by is: There are no guarantees.

The best grades from CMP are on an auction distribution system, so you have to be prepared to out spend the other nuts out there. Two years ago they re-imported some 'still in the wrapper' never been touched M1's that some were from the end of the run. I can't wait until these nuts finally open their prized possession only to find some have mix matched parts from all the other factories that ever produced the M1.

The absolute best grade is the "Collector" grade, followed by the "Correct" grade. If you start your hunt looking for these, you may never see one. It would be like just getting started deer hunting and wanting a 20pt or better.

There are also people who collect the arsenal rebuilds. If you get lucky enough to find one that hasn't been messed with, they are as close as you can get to factory performance with no regard as to which factory produced the part. Ogdon in Utah and Letterkenny (LEAD) come to mind as well as the original Springfield Arsenal itself. (There are MANY others.)

Then there is history. Would a survivor of a world war want one who spent it's entire life 'state side' locked to a rack, or one who had possibly been drug through the sand on D-Day? The 'history' of the gun is what got it to where it is now in the condition it currently is in.

Then there are the ones like the linked one above, the 1960's barrels, in my opinion, are the absolute best shooters there are. They hate the bore brush and should be swabbed only until you notice a drop in accuracy. The 40's barrels come next and the 50's seem to wear out the fastest. This brings us to barrel measurements. Throat Erosion, or "TE" is an unavoidable deterioration of the portion of the barrel where the chamber transfers to the bore. In normal use approximately 1000 rounds will produce/increase the TE by '1'. So, under normal use in todays environment you would literally go broke before wearing the barrel 'out' at a TE >5.

Muzzle Wear, or "MW" is an avoidable deterioration of the crown by zealously ramming the jointed cleaning rods down the bore like you are churning butter, like you see in the movies thinking it is 'normal'. The higher the number the less possible accuracy the barrel may have. I say this because some well worn barrels can (and will) out perform barrels with much better numbers.

I wish I had known of your need 2 years ago. I had what I called a "D-Day" gun that was made in '44 with a 6/44 barrel that I sold at a very modest price.

In closing I will tell you to "beware!". I have been in LGS when they come in with a history of "this was grandad's and hasn't been out of the closet since he brought it home from Europe after the war" that has H&R and/or IH parts on it that were not made until the Korean Conflict! Don't buy the story, buy the gun for what it is. The only way to know is to have a book. I carry 'Collecting the Garand II' by J.C.Harrison. It is small, complete and easy to tote. It is the best way that I know to divorce yourself from the 'story' and know the gun you wish to buy.

If you are near the south central part of the state I would be glad to help you any way I can. I know people who are much more knowledgeable than I and some of them have M1's available for sale. A friend in Louisville had over 40 for sale but I am not sure how many he still has, but I can find out! Good hunting!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought two from CMP North. I took a road trip out there and picked them up. The stocks were horrible on mine. I found a retired Marine somewhere out east that was refinishing stocks for hobby and a little cash so I bought two stock sets from him.

Then I stripped the rifle down and had the parts parkerized. When I put them back together, I had two very nice Garands.

Sure, some say I should have left them as is, but with few exceptions Garands are a mish-mash of parts that have been rebuilt at one time or another.

My brother and I were happy to have two decent shooting, great looking Garands.

If you want a nice one and don't want to do the work, find one in the classifieds. If you don't mind doing some extra work, buy a field grade (with a good barrel if you are going to shoot it for anything more than just fun) and replace/refurbish it.

They are fun guns to shoot!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have one from the CMP and one I purchased from a private seller. Son and I went to the North store (Port Clinton Ohio) to pick ours out. We were fortunate that they had a "special group" that were their top grade and refurbished but had the original barrel. The barrels gauged as new with bright bores.

Both my son and mine were Korean vintage - great looking rifles! They were a $100 or so cheaper than their top grade with replaced barrels.

We spent a few minutes picking out our rifles - the only difference in the whole rack was the grain of the stock! Had we have known we would have just ordered them without the trip, but we did purchase some other items - En bloc clips, slings etc. As has been stated CMP grading favors the buyer, everything I saw I would grade as high or higher than they stated.

We had them shipped to our homes, as it was several dollars more to take them with us. (we would had to pay Ohio sales tax if we took possession there). They arrived in 3 or 4 days as I recall. For a few years I ordered Garand 30-06 ammo from them (few thousand rounds) and more En bloc clips.

If you are looking for specific rifles like WW-2 serial numbers - particular manufactures etc., they do have auctions for certain special models, however you probably need to have a substantial sum to spend as some of these go for a lot of money!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County

Only 3 of my collection were a mail order purchases. The thrill of visiting the North/South Stores and picking my M1 in person was always part of the fun. There is almost always someone that'll help. The cool thing is that the stores turn over inventory quickly. So, you just never know what gems will arrive in the next restock: A WIN-13 receiver? A receiver with it's original barrel? A 6-digit serial number(early WWII)? A 5 digit serial number(pre WWII)?

I think the big question is how long are you willing to wait. The stores will probably not be open for a few months; although, rumor has it that they might open the North Store temporarily during the National Matches at Camp Perry. The best advice is to keep an eye on the CMP Forum for news. http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If I could learn how to get phone pics on here without having to create an alternate identity I could show you some of my "pig in a poke" scores from CMP online.

Does anyone else like to mix and match? I had a nice DOD stock come on one of my purchases that I took off a beautiful new CMP stock just because it was an IH that it would have come on.

I still have the super nice SA stock with all the cartouches on one of my Winchesters, so there is another M1 I need to score. An SA in the 1.8 to 3.2 mill range (SA/GAW).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own a mid 1943 Garand that might be appropriate. PM me if interested. I shot it in a Garand match last month and it did pretty good. I been thinking about selling it. A man can only carry one rifle....

Top Bottom