• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for some ideas on how to better secure the entry door(s) to my home.

The criteria are:
    • It has to integrate into the existing door and not require any additional manipulation to engage it.
    • It can't be an obvious addition that takes away from the aesthetics. No bar across the door.
    I've seen the following ideas I like.

Longer screws for the strike plates.

1665113109749.png

Taller strike plate.

1665113254563.png

I've kicked around the idea of replacing the trim piece the strike plates screw into with PVC or a hardwood like Oak. This is in conjunction with the 2 ideas above.

1665113600142.jpeg

Has anyone else seen other ideas that look sound?

Thanks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    3" screws at a minimum. Door Devil or other products could also help. But frankly from what Ive seen, the 3" screws are enough for all but the most determined. (e.g. SWAT battering rams)

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I am about to put new doors in. Thinking of putting an extra 2x4 around the frame for the screws to go into. That way the pressure is spread over more area

The hingemate- would that make a difference on doors that open in? The website talks about for doors that open out.

Reactions: Leo

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am about to put new doors in. Thinking of putting an extra 2x4 around the frame for the screws to go into. That way the pressure is spread over more area

The hingemate- would that make a difference on doors that open in? The website talks about for doors that open out.
    see my last post.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis

This may be the solution you are looking for:

This is for new door installs. You can cut the metal yourself and save on some of the cost. I would think aluminum would be nearly as effective and 100% rustproof.

Who are you using to install the door? Would you send me their info if you're happy with their work?

I'm looking for something to retrofit to an existing door right now.

Last edited:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    These would seem to fit your theme, and whether or not they live up to the claims, they couldn't hurt:
    Door Reinforcement

View attachment 228855

Thanks for the suggestion but......it is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. :scratch:

From the OP:
    • It has to integrate into the existing door and not require any additional manipulation to engage it.
    • It can't be an obvious addition that takes away from the aesthetics. No bar across the door.

Otherwise it would probably help increase security. If nothing else, delay a break in and make more noise.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestion but......it is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. :scratch:

From the OP:

Otherwise it would probably help increase security. If nothing else, delay a break in and make more noise.
    Well, dang. Sorry 'bout that! And I'm thinking it would enhance the noise factor substantially, might end up taking longer to break through.

Got distracted by "obvious" like a bar across the door--that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Well, dang. Sorry 'bout that! And I'm thinking it would enhance the noise factor substantially, might end up taking longer to break through.

Got distracted by "obvious" like a bar across the door--that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

:D No problem at all. I appreciate the suggestion and it might help someone else reading this.

Lpherr

Occupied
    If the structure around the door isn't reinforced, a simple hydraulic ram will open the door in seconds.
    A few pumps of the handle will spread the jams apart plenty to bypass a standard dead bolt.
    If someone wants in, they will get in.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If the structure around the door isn't reinforced, a simple hydraulic ram will open the door in seconds.
    A few pumps of the handle will spread the jams apart plenty to bypass a standard dead bolt.
    If someone wants in, they will get in.

Good point. I'll just leave my door open from now on. There are a lot of criminals that carry around hydraulic tools. :facepalm:

Top Bottom