Second Largest Bank Failure in U.S. History…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You guys worry too much..... The banking system is safe and sound. obiden says so.

Oh, and state is looking at guaranteeing all deposits:

I mean really, what could go wrong?

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

90miles953eb64b75a2ede8216696304cee59fa_2cea1c3f_540.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Regulators stepped in to halt trading in the Los Angeles-based PacWest and Arizona’s Western Alliance following dramatic drops in their share prices.

It came after another mid-sized bank, First Republic, was sold to JP Morgan earlier this week. Depositors had pulled $100bn from First Republic, fearing their money was no longer safe.

PacWest had sought to calm markets on Wednesday and said it was in talks with several potential investors after its shares fell by as much as 60%. But the sell-off continued on Thursday and affected other regional banks.

Shares in PacWest fell 50% on Thursday after Bloomberg News reported that the lender was considering strategic options, including a sale or a fundraising round.

The bank sought to reassure investors by saying it had not experienced unusual deposit flows. “Recently, the company has been approached by several potential partners and investors – discussions are ongoing,” it added.

Western Alliance’s share price plummeted 45% Thursday.

Other, less well-known regional banks have also been affected. Shares in the Dallas-headquartered Comerica were down 13%, and Zions Bancorporation fell by about 16% on Thursday.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mij

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think finding and proving a connection between the short sellers and the people moving the deposits may prove difficult. Still it's a profitable plan, particularly if aimed at already weak banks.

Wonder what Mike Burry is doing these days.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I believe I heard this AM that at this point, more money has been lost in total than in the 2008 crisis.
    Yes, that really stuck in my mind after reading/watching Michael Snyder a couple weeks ago. He stated "If you look at the banks that have already failed in 2023, (SVB, Signature and First Republic) it is greater than all 25 banks that failed in 2008 combined."

Watching this also. Seen him somewhere before. Good summary of of the meltdown

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    No worries. The crisis is over(Wall street Journal 5/24).

Or....

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    No worries. The crisis is over(Wall street Journal 5/24).

Or....
    1685029530093.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Multiple banks failing doesn't seem normal. It reminds me of the movie Young Frankenstein. Multiple banks failing is "Abby somebody. Abby Normal". I think it was the decision by the FDIC to make all depositors whole regardless of amount that made me suspicious. I decided to look in to how exactly the FDIC insurance works. The below article describes the basic tenets. It might be a bit rosy in its simplicity and certainty. I didn't realize that the FDIC is also the agency that "oversees" the banking industry. So the agency that oversees a bank's solvency didn't realize that multiple banks were at risk? Tough to believe. From attached article:

Insuring Against Bank Failure

A bank failure occurs when a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations to its depositors and creditors. There have been 565 bank failures since 2000, most of which occurred in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis. Bank failures have been relatively rare in recent years—there were none in 2021 or 2022—though there have been three failures so far in 2023, starting with the failure of Silicon Valley Bank on March 10.

When a member FDIC bank fails, the FDIC steps in to protect deposits. When Silicon Valley Bank failed on a Friday, the FDIC took over and made sure depositors could access their money by the following Monday. However, the FDIC agreed to make all SVB account holders whole, even if they had more than $250,000 on deposit. This was the case for a large percentage of SVB’s customers, as roughly 97% of the bank’s deposits were uninsured at the time of its collapse.

So 97% of SVB's business wasn't covered? What kind of bank are they exactly and who's banking there? And the FDIC just decides to cover ALL of the losses? Sniff, sniff...
    The FDIC assures solvency but 565 banks have failed in the last 23yrs? Abnormal.
    The article:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    ^^^ I can imagine the loan volume dropping is due to higher interest rates, maybe some increased scrutiny on borrowers. The data graphs are very conflicting but I'd assume that, in general, banks don't like deposit outflow. But this item below.... Gee, what might happen in 8 months time, Ides of March?

Finally, as a reminder, banks have around 8 months left under the original 12-month BTFP Fed bailout program to find a way to stabilize their balance sheets.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Lots of indicators that the consumer is cracking and credit is unaffordable. Average house is $400k, 30 years at 7.7% is well over $1m. Lunacy.
    While I get your point, folks have said similar for near 100 years. I met a lady in the late 90’s that told me what all she and her husband had gone through to get a house and a mortgage way back in the day. Still laughing at this line, “we were very worried about making a $24 per month mortgage payment. It is all relative.

More worried about all the crap they are doing that may just bring the whole country down…

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    While I get your point, folks have said similar for near 100 years. I met a lady in the late 90’s that told me what all she and her husband had gone through to get a house and a mortgage way back in the day. Still laughing at this line, “we were very worried about making a $24 per month mortgage payment. It is all relative.

More worried about all the crap they are doing that may just bring the whole country down…
    Admittedly it's based on the assumption of eating 7% for all 30 years, which won't happen. But, still, monthly payments have doubled in a year.

Top Bottom