• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Point One: INGO has long had a rule against the discussion of the use of violence against the United States, or any of the governments thereof. This thread WILL NOT violate that rule.

The topic of secession from the United States has come up at various times. Californians were reportedly considering it during Trump's administration. Some of the Red states have considered it in the wake of the election results, as reported. The one time it has been done, it was done at the cost of a bloody war, and none of us wants to go that route.

I would like to consider, in an academic form, the various pros and cons of a state or group of states leaving the Union by peaceful means-- say, for example, by treaty. Could a state or group of states that found the current political climate untenable, offer a treaty to the US Gov't, separating on amicable and polite terms? What would the logistics of such an action be?

Of note: The definition of the term "treason" consists of making war against the United States, or giving aid and comfort to her enemies. I am specifically and categorically proposing hypothetical action that would do neither of these, perhaps even entering into diplomatic relations with the country that remained.

Think of it as two houses in the same neighborhood. Neither can tell the other what is allowed or disallowed within the home (even with a homeowners' association), but the two households can go to the neighborhood picnic and sit together peaceably. They can even trade potato salad recipes (yes, of course, with bacon.)

I am interested in what people think, logistically, morally, pragmatically. I am interested in opinions. I want to spark discussion, but again, not of any topic that would remotely approach violence of one toward another.

Blessings,
    Bill

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    "Californians" have been considering well before then. The "State of Jefferson" effort in that area goes back to at least the 1940s

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I don't think splitting up is a good idea. The idea of states being completely red or completely blue is wrong.

There were more votes for Trump in California (6,005,961) than in Texas (5,890,347).
    There were more votes for Biden in Texas (5,258,126) than in New York (5,244,006).
    There were more votes for Trump in New York (3,250,230) than in Ohio (3,154,834).
    There were more votes for Biden in Ohio (2,679,165) than in New Jersey (2,608,335).
    There were more votes for Trump in New Jersey (1,883,274) than in Indiana (1,729,852).

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don't think splitting up is a good idea. The idea of states being completely red or completely blue is wrong.

There were more votes for Trump in California (6,005,961) than in Texas (5,890,347).
    There were more votes for Biden in Texas (5,258,126) than in New York (5,244,006).
    There were more votes for Trump in New York (3,250,230) than in Ohio (3,154,834).
    There were more votes for Biden in Ohio (2,679,165) than in New Jersey (2,608,335).
    There were more votes for Trump in New Jersey (1,883,274) than in Indiana (1,729,852).

So?

What does ANY of that have to do with curbing centralization?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Interesting points. I agree, there's no way that any nation could or even should be all Red or all Blue. The idea that all members of a nation should hold the same general ideals, however..... the idea that we have basic rights that come from our Creator, that government exists not to rule the people but to serve them, etc..... that has merit.

I am also forced to recognize in some of those cases, the disparity created by total populations.... Texas has nowhere near the population of California, so even if we consider the election to have been fairly and correctly constituted and tabulated, percentages and per capita votes matter more than absolute numbers. Too, some states forbid former felons from voting, unlike Indiana.

Still, the raw numbers are interesting, Thank you for posting them.

Blessings,
    Bill

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    After watching Brexit, I can't wait to see how this turns out (and the E.U. isn't even that old).

There was "wailing and gnashing of teeth" amongst some here who, while they have no skin in the matter, are simply opposed to secession....yet still call themselves "Freeman".

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

How about nullifying federal jurisdiction down to the point that the federal government is irrelevant to the average citizen's day to day life, with the state being more relevant, and local government being the all powerful one that will matter most?

What we ultimately have is a government made for a very small country with a mono-culture. And it clearly isn't working as this isn't Japan.
    We need a government set up for radically varying view points that are usually tied to geographical location, hints rural and urban.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Morally, I support the right of states to secede, legalese be damned.

One if the many sticky bits is "what happens to the federal debt?". Do the secessionists take a population based portion with them?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Morally, I support the right of states to secede, legalese be damned.

One if the many sticky bits is "what happens to the federal debt?". Do the secessionists take a population based portion with them?
    Ok, so a state secedes. What happens to all the federal land and military equipment within those borders. I can say with 100% certainty, the fed aint giving that stuff away.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    We need a government set up for radically varying view points that are usually tied to geographical location, hints rural and urban.
    I agree that the federal government is too influential in daily life.

But the difference in the two parties isn't simply the urban/rural split we've been told. Look at the NJ count for Trump: it's nearly four times the rural population of the state. Trump isn't rural unless a golf course counts as being out in the country.

It's more complicated than that.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so a state secedes. What happens to all the federal land and military equipment within those borders. I can say with 100% certainty, the fed aint giving that stuff away.
    This would be the stopper for any peaceful succession.... many if not the majority of the countries tactical nuke missiles and ammo depots are deep in the heart of red territory.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I agree, another sticky point. The citizens of the states have partial ownership of those assets until the split, so who gets the TV, the car, the icbms, subs, airbases etc.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    This would be the stopper for any peaceful succession.... many if not the majority of the countries tactical nuke missiles and ammo depots are deep in the heart of red territory.
    The Soviet Union managed to break up without violence and they had nukes and bases everywhere. I haven’t really studied how it was done. And obviously there’s been trouble between Russia and both Georgia and Ukraine afterwards.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    Imagine if there was a line drawn. Lets say the Mississippi river dividing the country into the left and the right. Two different countries. west of the Mississippi the loons can live and have their Utopia. The right side being conservative minded people owning business and thriving. The West would die. They cannot make it. They would have all the welfare rats. all the illegals and all the crime. Sounds good to me.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Imagine if there was a line drawn. Lets say the Mississippi river dividing the country into the left and the right. Two different countries. west of the Mississippi the loons can live and have their Utopia. The right side being conservative minded people owning business and thriving. The West would die. They cannot make it. They would have all the welfare rats. all the illegals and all the crime. Sounds good to me.
    Whoa whoa whoa. All the good hunting is west of the Mississippi. Can’t let them ruin the Rocky Mountains the same way they ruined California

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    IF something like this were to happen, it would probably break down to more a county level thing. Even red and blue states have radical differences in their political views

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The US Civil War did not have even close to 100% agreement within each state as to which side to join. Indiana had a fair amount of “copperheads” who were sympathetic to the Confederacy. Some of my wife’s distant relatives rode North from Tennessee and joined the US Tennessee mounted Infantry.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The Soviet Union managed to break up without violence and they had nukes and bases everywhere. I haven’t really studied how it was done. And obviously there’s been trouble between Russia and both Georgia and Ukraine afterwards.
    How that happened is that they were too damned broke to fight.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Do you have any idea how many folks from places like Wyoming or the Dakota's would beat knots in your head for throwing them in with the California Flakes?

Top Bottom