• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Perhaps of interest: https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Research-Report-Vehicle-Escape-Tools.pdf

Evaluation of tools and also a list of vehicles with laminated side glass (which is much much much tougher to shatter than tempered glass, it's what your windshield is made of)

Several tools faired very poorly.

Note you can manually open your door once the car is nearly filled with water as the pressure difference is what causes the door to be stuck closed.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    They make one in a small hammer form and it has a seatbelt cutter. It has a clip designed to attach to the seatbelt. We have one of each of our vehicles and my work suv.
    I picked up a small, weighted, hammer style glass breaker for the wife. I didn't want her trying to reset a spring loaded glass breaker in the event it didn't work the first time, panic is her default setting. I didn't see a model with a hammer/glass breaker combo, but feeling good about decisions seeing how we had none of these tools before.

After some solid INGO advice, her smallish center console will be dedicated for these tools only.

Thanks again for all the great input and suggestions and hopefully we'll never need to use them.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Perhaps of interest: https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Research-Report-Vehicle-Escape-Tools.pdf

Evaluation of tools and also a list of vehicles with laminated side glass (which is much much much tougher to shatter than tempered glass, it's what your windshield is made of)

Several tools faired very poorly.

Note you can manually open your door once the car is nearly filled with water as the pressure difference is what causes the door to be stuck closed.
    Thanks for the link.
    Neither of our vehicles have the laminated side glass. Finally, being too poor to afford a safe vehicle has paid off, lol.
    That's a very comprehensive list of vehicles that should be looked at by all, it would suck to find that out in an emergency. Sadly, nothing tested, to the criteria used, broke the laminated side glass.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As posted above it was a retention pond for some businesses
    Got it. But that name implies it has no function, it does. It’s function is to retain runoff water that would have been absorbed by the ground before the structures, drives or parking lots were there, and release it slowly into the drainage system streams and rivers without causing flooding.

Maybe not you but many do not know that they have a function…

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I've caught a lot of really nice fish out of DECORATION ponds in housing additions, lol.
    Let's derail the hell outta this thread, I got the help/answers I needed.
    What if the pond was in the desert, with Christmas lights on it year round and my wife pissing away money planting stupid flowers around it?
    Surely THAT would make it a decoration pond.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    bCAPPjR.jpg

At least she has a gun in her hand , and I helped in this thread earlier

:abused:

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Have you seen the Res-q-me tools? They're very cheap and effective. And they can clip anywhere. I don't have any currently but I do plan to carry a few at a time next time I have an order.

They also have the bigger ones too

Otherwise you’re probably looking at something closer to a Benchmade or folding knife with built in cutter and glass breaker

I carried one of these for like 5 years. It recently fell apart.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Have you seen the Res-q-me tools? They're very cheap and effective. And they can clip anywhere. I don't have any currently but I do plan to carry a few at a time next time I have an order.

They also have the bigger ones too

Otherwise you’re probably looking at something closer to a Benchmade or folding knife with built in cutter and glass breaker

i have used these before. they are simple cheap and effective. the only downside is the clip that holds the blade. Don't put it on something like a key ring where it can get caught a bunch. I sliced my hand on one in my pocket.

Top Bottom