• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been burning through my .22LR ammo to the tune of over 1000 rounds per week.
    Getting the outdoor range (MCFG) hadn't helped any, that's for sure since it opened up a new world for shooting rifles.

A member told me he stops by Walmart everyday & get his 2 box allotment (usually larger boxes).
    I was running around yesterday so I stopped at Walmart on E 82nd St. near where I used to live: NONE!
    I then went to the Walmart on E Pendleton: NONE!!
    I was going to go to the Walmart on E Washington but I gave up on the idea

Today I stopped by the Walmart on Emerson where it intersects with E 465: NONE!!!
    I then went to the Walmart off 31 & by the Greenwood Mall: Got 3 of the last 4 packs of 100 rounds of Mini-Mags (8 cents per round w/tax).
    I forgot to go to the Walmart where Emerson & County Line Intersects.
    I stopped by the Rural King that was past the Greenwood Mall and they had 3 kinds of ammo, but there was a line of about 10 people & I had to get to Shelbyville so I couldn't wait.

On my way to Shelbyville to return zackcz's Savage 2 rifle I stopped by their Walmart & bought 2 packs of Winchester 333 (5.5 cents each w/tax).
    There was a Rural King nearby & I stopped by & they allowed 4 items & & only had some Federal match (boxes of 50), about 11 cents each.

While I was there I bought the Springfield Armory XD-S Mod 2 9mm 3.3" Barrel XDSG9339S ($380) since I've never had a Springfield and I wanted to try one out (came with a 7 & 9 rd mags) b/c I held it in my hand (:dunno:).
    Reminded me of the Kahr & Shield feel in my hand.
    1794002085.jpg

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I keep mine stocked at around 10,000 rounds and I don't shoot that much 22LR. If you shoot 1,000 rounds a week (Holy Cow) you are either going to have to cut back on your habit a little or pay a high premium. Fortunately for you 22LR is a lot easier to find than 9MM or .380 right now. This pandemic and protests have made it hard for us shooters.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I keep mine stocked at around 10,000 rounds and I don't shoot that much 22LR.
    If you shoot 1,000 rounds a week (Holy Cow) you are either going to have to cut back on your habit a little or pay a high premium.
    Fortunately for you 22LR is a lot easier to find than 9MM or .380 right now.
    This pandemic and protests have made it hard for us shooters.

I started keeping records in my Day-Timer since since last of April.
    I did this in order to get a grasp on how much I should cut back.
    I'm averaging 2.5 visits per week to the range & averaging 1000 rds per week for the past 14 weeks.
    I can shoot less per range visit (by shooting 200 rds instead of 400 rounds on average per visit & by shortening my hours there & only going on average of twice per week (once per week if things meltdown).

Weekly rounds shot the last few weeks:
    - 400 (so far this week, but going at least 1 maybe 2 more times).

I will cut back as needed b/c I will not pay the "high premium."

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

Looks like SGAmmo has 5000 rd cases of Geco but it won't last long.

Also Aquila at Buds.

I'm trying to guy ammo but it's wanting me to put an FFL in for some reason?

Edit: I found the problem. There was a gun in my cart & I had to remove it rather than put "0" down as a quantity I had to completely remove it from the cart.
    Bought 5000 rounds of the Aguila, it has been more accurate than CCI in my rifles.

Last edited:

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I'm glad I'm not the only person that shoots that much. My passion is Steel Challenge, I shoot matches and inbetween, I practice a lot. I will go to the range 3 to 4 times a week and often shoot a 500 count box of ammo on each visit. Then are the matches, a 6 stage match requires a minimum of 150 rounds, throw in some misses and you have shot 200 rounds (per gun/ I usually shoot 2 guns at the match RFPI and RFRO). So, an average week I shoot 2000 rounds in practice and 400 rounds in a match. It might be cheaper if I go back to my old passion, playing golf. Most months I go thru around 9 to 10,000 rounds. I started shooting these type matches back in 2010 or 2011. During the Obama years ammo was hard as hell to find and got expensive. I learned a lesson, after O left office, ammo became more abundant and reasonably priced. I STOCKED up, I would buy by the CASE. I love TargetSportsUSA, I have the prime membership which saves 5% and gets you free shipping. A lot of the ammo I shoot cost me between .03 a round to .09 a round. I shoot the cheap stuff in practice and the CCI Mini Mags in Matches.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    doddg my lgs had several bricks of Fiocchi 22LR 40 Grain in stock. Iirc $39.99 a brick of 500rd. That would be a 2.5 hour rd trip for you approximately. If you're interested I'll go by see if they have any left.

Just found this.
    Blazer Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Case of 5000 $229.99
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022726685

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Maybe I should dust off the old scroll die press and crank out some .22LR
    But then again, that means updating my licence and I'm not sure I want to go through that again. Major PITA.

Maybe just 300,000 or 400,000 for myself...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg my lgs had several bricks of Fiocchi 22LR 40 Grain in stock. Iirc $39.99 a brick of 500rd. That would be a 2.5 hour rd trip for you approximately. If you're interested I'll go by see if they have any left.

Just found this.
    Blazer Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Case of 5000 $229.99
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022726685

Appreciate you thinking of me, but I'm not to that point yet. :thumbsup:
    I have alot of .22LR stored, but just don't want to continue using it at my present rate.

I tried the link and it wouldn't let me put it into the cart, so I suppose they are out (didn't see this until 8 am).
    Not available - One time run

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Appreciate you thinking of me, but I'm not to that point yet. :thumbsup:
    I have alot of .22LR stored, but just don't want to continue using it at my present rate.

I tried the link and it wouldn't let me put it into the cart, so I suppose they are out (didn't see this until 8 am).
    Not available - One time run

Its probably gone already.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    you need to save your brass and sell it for scrap!

I've been buying Aguila from Sportsman's Guide. I have a stock notification set up and when I get the email I buy some right away. When it comes in it goes fast, but it seems to come in regularly.

My buddy just bought 25k rounds from here to split up with some of the kids on his son's shooting team.
    https://www.stevefostershootingspor.../1149-eley-42g-action-plus-500-bulk-pack.html

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    People are getting worried with the dragging out of the Covid scare, domestic terrorist groups and such. I have been watching the supplies of ammo in the LGS and chain stores starting to get very thin. I have several thousand rounds of 22 lr. currently. But having just purchased a Kel-Tec CP33 that will dwindle quickly with a few range trips.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    doddg and I both got a 5K case of CCI from Champions choice before they ran out. They had it in stock after most others had run out...less well know with the average shooter I suppose.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg and I both got a 5K case of CCI from Champions choice before they ran out. They had it in stock after most others had run out...less well know with the average shooter I suppose.

I'm saving it for my secret stash when I've shot through everything else. :)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Buy 5k at a time with rebates when prices are low over and over again. I mean, I lost all of mine...

Top Bottom