• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Good tip. I have been unimpressed with Eley in the past, especially for the price point. I may not have been putting enough rounds down the tube before trying for groups.

I don't try for groups with any .22LR without putting 10-20 through it first.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

If you are using different brands in one sitting, are you saying to put 20 rds down when you switch brands before taking the accuracy seriously?
    That would explain alot since in the past, I might have used 3-5 different brands of ammo when trying to find out what works with a gun.

Lately though, I've just been running 1 brand through (Aguila Super Extra 40 grain SC nose just b/c I've got so much of it & the rifles were shooting better with it than CCI SV that I thought was the best economic option.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    If you are using different brands in one sitting, are you saying to put 20 rds down when you switch brands before taking the accuracy seriously?
    I certainly don't. After warm up (usually with SK Magazine), I start looking for little groups. Sometimes that includes 4 or 5 different lines of ammo, usually not more than 5. At anywhere from .15-.40 per trigger pull, I don't run 20 rds of each BEFORE looking for groups of each. That would be silly expensive, at least for my budget. I usually run a 5 round group for 2-3 rounds per brand looking for promising results. Then start working with the ones that gave the best results after several trips through the line up. My groups are pretty consistent, even switching ammos. Eley is consistently poor for me, with some of their offerings worse than others. I will be interested in seeing how running 20 rds of Eley before trying for groups affects the results. I will not be doing that for every ammo change though. Too $$ for me.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

I used to do that too, until I tried it the other way. There was very little difference between the first group from a seasoned barrel and a unseasoned barrel with the exception of Eley. Eley uses some super secret proprietary lube formulas and I think that is the reason.

That would explain alot since in the past, I might have used 3-5 different brands of ammo when trying to find out what works with a gun.

Lately though, I've just been running 1 brand through (Aguila Super Extra 40 grain SC nose just b/c I've got so much of it & the rifles were shooting better with it than CCI SV that I thought was the best economic option.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you're shooting a better than average ammo from a good barrel, you probably wouldn't notice much difference. Rather than shooting one group then changing brands, try 3-4 groups and if your groups are tightening up, then you'll know what works for you.

I certainly don't. After warm up (usually with SK Magazine), I start looking for little groups. Sometimes that includes 4 or 5 different lines of ammo, usually not more than 5. At anywhere from .15-.40 per trigger pull, I don't run 20 rds of each BEFORE looking for groups of each. That would be silly expensive, at least for my budget. I usually run a 5 round group for 2-3 rounds per brand looking for promising results. Then start working with the ones that gave the best results after several trips through the line up. My groups are pretty consistent, even switching ammos. Eley is consistently poor for me, with some of their offerings worse than others. I will be interested in seeing how running 20 rds of Eley before trying for groups affects the results. I will not be doing that for every ammo change though. Too $$ for me.

Yes, please try it. Your experience is exactly what I had. If I hadn't have shot more than 3 groups with the Eley, I'd have relegated it to the tin can pile. Last time I shot Eley Action, my first 2 groups were 13/16", the 3rd 11/16, the next 2 were 5/16". Since my barrel was already seasoned with the Eley, I tried it again the next time out and right off the bat was getting groups in the 3/8"-7/16" range. Those are 5 shot groups at 75 yds, btw. I've got some Eley Club that I wasn't impressed with when I shot it the first time, so I'm going to try it again.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, that's the famous Eley primer smell. Aguila used to use the same formula and priming method and when fired smelled the same. They've made some changes and now it has a little different smell. The old Aguila even had "Eley Primed" on the boxes, now its "Aguila Primed"

I have some of that (Eley Primed) but noticed other Aguila I have doesn't say that!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Here are a couple of examples of what I was talking about earlier in this thread regarding Eley needing some seasoning before it shot good. These groups were fired immediately after using a different brand.
    Eley Club 4-02-20 .625 .6
    Eley Club 8-12-20 .562 .531 .375 .25 .375
    Eley Action 7-25-20 .75 .562
    Eley Action 7-26-20 .813 .813 .687 .313 .344
    Eley Action 8-11-20 .687 .687 .438 .25 .313
    So you can see, after the second group the groups start to tighten up and show much improvement after the third.

I had shot the Eley Club last yesterday so today I started with it.
    .375 .25 .313 .344
    Action today .531 .375 .403 .434

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Here are a couple of examples of what I was talking about earlier in this thread regarding Eley needing some seasoning before it shot good. These groups were fired immediately after using a different brand.
    Eley Club 4-02-20 .625 .6
    Eley Club 8-12-20 .562 .531 .375 .25 .375
    Eley Action 7-25-20 .75 .562
    Eley Action 7-26-20 .813 .813 .687 .313 .344
    Eley Action 8-11-20 .687 .687 .438 .25 .313
    So you can see, after the second group the groups start to tighten up and show much improvement after the third.

I had shot the Eley Club last yesterday so today I started with it.
    .375 .25 .313 .344
    Action today .531 .375 .403 .434

Great information!
    5 rounds on a target?
    What distance?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I just shot some groups with Eley subsonic hollowpoint. Best groups I've gotten with Eley yet. I cleaned the bore and ran about 30 rounds. Only 25 yds today as I didn't have time to walk down to the 50ydd range, but still sub moa at .13-.2" 5 shot groups. Not going to turn my nose up at Eley anymore!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I just shot some groups with Eley subsonic hollowpoint. Best groups I've gotten with Eley yet. I cleaned the bore and ran about 30 rounds. Only 25 yds today as I didn't have time to walk down to the 50ydd range, but still sub moa at .13-.2" 5 shot groups. Not going to turn my nose up at Eley anymore!

Glad to hear it. I still say there is just something about the lube that causes it to not mix with other brands. Once the old stuff is gone, it shoots lights out.

Top Bottom