• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeymourHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    Seymour
    Hello! I’m new here and I’m not sure if the gun smith section is the right place to post this so apologies in advance. I have an AR 15 and a Remington 870 with light scratches on the receiver. I was wondering if there is a good way to remove the scratches. They are light. It’s just wear from using them over the years. Thanks!

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    A matte hobby paint will work on the aluminum receiver of the AR. If the 870 is blued, it's best to leave it be. Cold bluing won't match very well in most cases and you end up creating more of a problem. Protect it from rust.

Personally, I'm of the school that says used tools should show that they've been used. Honest wear is nothing to be ashamed of.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Guns that get used will get scratches, heck it seems like ones that never leave the safe get scratches. Doing a patch job, is usually just about as visible as the scratch, if not more so. I knew a guy that used to send his guns to be reblued when ever a scratch would show up. It was expensive.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Hello! I’m new here and I’m not sure if the gun smith section is the right place to post this so apologies in advance. I have an AR 15 and a Remington 870 with light scratches on the receiver. I was wondering if there is a good way to remove the scratches. They are light. It’s just wear from using them over the years. Thanks!
    Like empty bottles of your favorite foods, handling marks are the footprints of your life. While we should not abuse our tools, character marks contain history. I cherish the stories behind every one of my nicks and scratches. If it is easily rubbed out I attend to it in my cleaning routine. I use Bluing pens and AluminaBlack by birch wood Casey to protect. Other than that I move on with my tools that show I use them….a lot. Just like hot sauce. B47EF7DC-C3ED-46F3-A523-9309C4806759.jpeg

SeymourHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    Seymour
    Guns that get used will get scratches, heck it seems like ones that never leave the safe get scratches. Doing a patch job, is usually just about as visible as the scratch, if not more so. I knew a guy that used to send his guns to be reblued when ever a scratch would show up. It was expensive.
    T
    hanks for the heads up Expat. I don’t want to make it look worse with a patch job.

SeymourHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    Seymour
    Like empty bottles of your favorite foods, handling marks are the footprints of your life. While we should not abuse our tools, character marks contain history. I cherish the stories behind every one of my nicks and scratches. If it is easily rubbed out I attend to it in my cleaning routine. I use Bluing pens and AluminaBlack by birch wood Casey to protect. Other than that I move on with my tools that show I use them….a lot. Just like hot sauce. View attachment 154708
    Good insight Trapper Jim. I’ll check out the Bluing pens and AluminaBlack. You can’t go wrong with Cholula hot sauce either when you need some spice on a sandwich.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You really don't have anything to lose by piddling around with a black sharpie.

If you need to just tidy up for appearances, it might be all you need. Sharpie won't hold up through gun oil, but possibly you can find the happy medium?

The other option is to throw a little time and $ at a custom paint/coating for your receivers. Maybe match the color of your bronze looking forend?

I've seen some very cool rattle can camo jobs that just scream for some battlescar looking wear marks. Very little investment for a truly unique to you finish. And rattle can paint removes with solvent.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You really don't have anything to lose by piddling around with a black sharpie.

Pet peeve of mine... Sharpie's aren't actually black. They're purple.

Marks-A-Lot are actually black.

I strongly agree with the overall point though. I've touched up a great many things with a marker and it's usually plenty effective.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I've had pretty good luck with hi-temp grill paint. Spray it into a gallon zip lock bag . Open bag as much as possible somewhat bunch it around the can and spray it in the corner until it puddles. Apply with a model brush and hit with a heat gun . Worked on AR's for me

Last edited:
    Top Bottom