• ...and so much more!
  • Vbob1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2022
    Scipio, IN
    About a dozen yeas ago we had i like experience at Scipio covered bridge. I remember seeing branchs along the route as I got there. The guy admitted he was following GPS. He was smart enough to stop, but not smart enough not to try to turn around. He got his rear trailor wheels off a sharp drop off, the trailor twisted and lifted the drive wheels off the ground, and there he was. Shortly after I got there a State guy arrived. To this day I've never seen a trooper laugh that hard. sometimes professionalism just has to take a break!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm pretty sure the semi driver in the OP was last seen on Raceway just south of US36 in Avon. About once a month or so, truck drivers try to play chicken with the railroad bridge.

(Spoiler alert: the bridge is undefeated. And Town of Avon/Avon Police Department social media accounts are savage.)
    There was one a couple weeks ago my wife showed me from them, picture of the truck height markings clearly marked on the truck and a picture of the low height sign and it was simply captioned “math is hard” :lmfao:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There was one a couple weeks ago my wife showed me from them, picture of the truck height markings clearly marked on the truck and a picture of the low height sign and it was simply captioned “math is hard” :lmfao:
    Or the scalped moving company trailer, hash-tagged #TwoMenAndNotruck :lmfao:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Two iron bridges were hit by farm implements in Boone County in the last 10 years. One didn’t get away as the tractor pulling a wagon fell through the bridge floor and was stuck. Took a couple of years for the insurance company to finally pay up. A few years later the county closed the road because a big time developer bought the land surrounding it for million dollar homes and a golf course.

The second incident involved a similar ag tractor that hit an iron bride hard enough to make it unsafe - but the driver (and the tractor) left the scene. Police never were able to pin it on anyone. Certainly strange since only a handful of farmers worked that area - and there must surely been paint scrapes left to define which manufacture farm implement it was. Rumor had it the tractor was out of state by that night and sold. I’ll never be convinced law enforcement didn’t cover it up.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We have a one lane, steel bridge over the Wabash in Battleground, Indiana.

Not the same situation, but it’s shut down due to folks exceeding the weight limit. I wish people would pay atttention.

I believe they are beefing it up for the long term. Not as nice looking as the covered bridges.

View attachment 216162

Still love those things.

Grandparents had one down the road....used to take wagers on climbing to the top and crossing it.

The wagers were easy. Lashes from Dad with some whips taken from a nearby weeping willow tree were sometimes a different matter.

IMG_0593.JPG

Stories that still get told about those times made it all worthwhile.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I'm not terribly old and I remember several wooden brides in Floyd County... My school bus went over a covered bridge every morning on the way to school. The last one was "upgraded" about 5 or 10 years ago to concrete.

Top Bottom