Scottsburg man dies in tree stand accident (Scott County)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Scottsburg man dies in tree stand accident (Scott County)

Indiana Conservation Officers are investigating a fatal tree stand fall that occurred Tuesday in Scott County.

Emergency personnel were dispatched to the area of Taylor Road outside of Scottsburg after an individual who had fallen from a tree stand was discovered by a fellow hunter.

Donald Cass, 94, of Scottsburg, was deer hunting from a homemade elevated stand when it collapsed for an unknown reason. Cass was not wearing a full body safety harness.

Cass was transported to Scott Memorial Hospital and then airlifted to University of Louisville Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Conservation Officers remind hunters using elevated platforms to always wear a full body harness, use a tree stand’s safety rope, never try to put up or remove a tree stand by themself, and to always inspect their tree stand before climbing up into it.

Assisting agencies at the scene included Scott County EMS and the Vienna and Finley Township fire departments.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well, just found out my parents are friends with this guy's sister.

Mom confirmed he was a life long hunter. He rarely, if ever, bought meat at a store. He hunted enough to support him and his wife along with home grown crops....had done so for decades. Sounds like the rare breed these days. I know his siblings are HUGE home gardners.

Sounds like it was a home built stand (he never bought anything he could make). Something to do with a bolt giving way.

There are worse endings than this.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Man, at that age to die hunting instead of in a nursing home is a win. I feel bad for his family, but hope to go the same way at the same age.

Yep.

My Mom asked if I would still be climbing into tree stands at 94.

Told her I doubt I make it that long....but I hope I am given as much grace regardless of the time.

Top Bottom