• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a Scottish Dirk made by Skye Knives in the Isle of Skye. I have carried it on my Civil War gun belt and holsters I use for SASS but never had to use it to eat with. It has a 12” blade and a Celtic knot handle with a Scottish marble butt plate/primal. It looks and fells like it is designed to defend against humans.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    We're watching the Outlander series and as far as I can tell the weaponry for the Scottish Highlanders looks period correct.
    Make me want a dirk ( or Bollock knife....if that's the correct terminology ) and a Targe

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It looks and fells like it is designed to defend against humans.
    Because it was. Traditionally the Dirk was worn tucked into the sock on the dominant hand leg. It was customary at the time to disarm before entering into someone else's home. But the dirk was the exception. It was the always there knife of the time. It could be used as a weapon or food prep and every thing else that a knife could be used for.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    kawtech87 you are thinking of a Sign Dubh also called The Black Knife. It was carried somewhere on the body. When the English Crown outlawed Scottish dress in the 1700's it was CC till the English allowed the wearing of Scottish dress in the 1800's at that point it was move to the sock. The knife is a shot bladed knife with the handle smooth on the surface next to the skin and the other side was ruff so the hand can draw and hold. It was a last ditch hold out, to short to defend aginst most edged weapons carried at the time.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    kawtech87 you are thinking of a Sign Dubh also called The Black Knife. It was carried somewhere on the body. When the English Crown outlawed Scottish dress in the 1700's it was CC till the English allowed the wearing of Scottish dress in the 1800's at that point it was move to the sock. The knife is a shot bladed knife with the handle smooth on the surface next to the skin and the other side was ruff so the hand can draw and hold. It was a last ditch hold out, to short to defend aginst most edged weapons carried at the time.
    You're right I was thinking Sigan dubh.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    The dirk is 17" with a 12" blade, the Sigan Dubh is about 7"-7 1/2" total with about a 3"-3 1/2" blade. Sigan Dubh coming in a month or two.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Because it was. Traditionally the Dirk was worn tucked into the sock on the dominant hand leg. It was customary at the time to disarm before entering into someone else's home. But the dirk was the exception. It was the always there knife of the time. It could be used as a weapon or food prep and every thing else that a knife could be used for.
    I always seen the Dirk as a belt knife and it was the sgian duhn that was worn either around the neck or tucked into the sock.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    In the 1700's the dirk was carried with the sharp edge facing front so that if drawn and used you could rip upwards. It was the fighting style of the times. After the Scotts were allowed to wear the kilt again in the 1800's the carry was changed to edge to the rear.

Top Bottom