• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I know this is technically a handgun right now but I expect it to be an SBR soon enough, and since the subject is riflescopes, I’ve decided to ask here… What do you guys think of this scope on a Ruger 22 Charger? It will be the 10” Takedown Lite model with a brace or stock and Franklin binary trigger. Just a fun toy to make some noise cheap—I don’t have any delusions of SHTF use but I suppose one could carry a lot of ammo and break this down into a backpack easily enough.

Rifle: https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/specSheets/4935.html

Scope:
    I’m looking at this scope because it’s so small, short, and light. it also seems to have a very useful reticle. Here’s how it works out with standard velocity ammunition and a 40 yd. zero:

69606323-819C-4E09-9425-5319D5F5ABCE.png

I was looking at Leupold scopes with CDS dials, but one revolution is only 15 MOA, which is only good for about 140 yards with .22LR, so I think a reticle like this might be more useful to extend the range a bit (though it’s really lobbing them in there beyond 150 yds. or so).

I have good vision in only one eye, so lack of 1x isn’t as big a deal to me and I don’t have the benefit of shooting red dots with both eyes open… thoughts?

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It’s parallax is set for 150 yards. IMO a true rimfire scope or at least a scope with adjustable parallax would be much more advantageous.

This is true, but parallax issues with scopes with that small of an objective lens diameter is pretty minimal. I've been using an older VXIII 1.5 - 5 with the same parallax setting and lens diameter on a rimfire with good results. That being said, I only use it because I already had it. If I was buying an optic for a specific rimfire rifle, I'd get one with an adjustable parallax or one set closer.

Here is a calculator for parallax error...

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wouldnt worry about parallax unless shooting matches at 25 and 50 yards.

Good stock, bbl and ammo.....yeah a braced 1022 aint gonna be a contender.

IMHO at 25 yards 4x is usable with a big game scope. 50 yards about 6x.

So a variable can allow big game scope usage on a rimfire. One can so have big game scope fixed parallax changed....Leupold used to do it for 25 bucks plus shipping.

W the custom shop down, dunno if tney do it at the moment. There is a tutorial i guess on RFC on how to do it yourself

On a short light rig id opt for a short and light optic. Fixed 4x. If you want the option of more mag, maybe a 2-7x....that you probably will leave on 4x

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Leupold fixed power 4x RF is a small scope. Looks too small on a reg 1022 IMHO ( why I sold mine ).

Have played around w some scopes to see where the duplex point works as a 2nd aiming deal.

Typically indont have time afield to dial or count stuff, just adjust aiming point w reg crosshair intersection and let er rip.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    How comfy are you shooting offhand ( magnification )?

IIRC

F&S did a test way back and found most folks shot better w scopes around 4 to 6X.

Big game rifles, field positions, deer targets.

Funny, the older I get the more mag I want for paper and the less I want for killin'.

2-7x is pretty good all arounder.

Dunno how its look aesthetically on an SBR. Its a longer scope than my M8s were ( standard and compac models ).

Allowed me to move it rearward w my rem 760 ring positions where my compact 4x was to the poiny i had to crawl the stock a little.

Old age and neck not workingike it used to, have had to move scopes back a little.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the Vortex 1-4 pst with that tmcq reticle. It can be fast, it can be accurate.

If you are planning on precision target work at distance though, you will need more magnification.

I sure like a quality QD mount on scopes, so that they can be swapped around.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming.

I have a Magnum Research MLR22ATUT with a Leupold ultralight rimfire 3-9x CDS (Wind Plex reticle) for the more precise work.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW i had a Freedom VX EFR 3-9x.
    Two issues.

1. Aesthetics....the rear eyepiece is not a bell, is more of a cylinder. It may look OK on MSR and similar but on a classic rig it looked like crap

2. The outside of the image had a blur/ shadow. Dunno if that due to obj lense being so recessed.

Definitely try before you buy. Dunno if that image deal a fluke or a " feature ".

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I love all my Leupold vxr scopes. 1-4X, 2-7x, 3-9x. Lightweight and quality build for it's price class. If I wanted to go distance with 22, I would need at least the 2-7. And as mentioned above, I believe they can all be adjusted for parallax. But for close-up work, on low-power, I don't think it's a problem.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm interested to see pictures of your final build. I took a charger in a trade earlier this year. For now it's a trainer for my children, who aren't big enough for an actual stocked rifle. But I'd really like to make it an SBR.

Top Bottom