• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    As I have spent the better part of my life in hand guns I would like to learn about long guns and start a collection with limitations though.

1 I don't know much about long guns (just being honest here but at least I know what I don't know and that's half the battle to start with))
    2 I want to be able to use the long gun and not have a safe queen (but I would like to learn about those guns as well in case I ever run across "that deal"
    3 I don't want to "break the bank" on ammo to feed it.
    4 No ARs at this time please

And lastly I want to have real hopes of finding and buying this long gun at some point (I know the trends are nuts right now on prices).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    First, and most relevant question is, what do you want to do with this rifle/shotgun?
    Long guns are tools, just like handguns, or hammers...
    One might "work", but not be optimal for every situation.

If you want to hunt, what do you want to hunt?
    Squirrel, coyote, deer, bull elephant... different guns for different targets.

If you just want to poke holes in paper, how far away do you want to poke them from?
    Skeet/clays?

There are a lot of different rifles/shotguns, calibers, and platforms...you need to narrow the parameters a bit.

If you just want to plink, you can't go wrong with a .22Lr.
    This also works well for squirrels. It will work for coyote, but shot placement counts.
    It will even work on a deer, but is illegal in most states, and unethical in my opinion.
    Just not enough power.

So, the big question is, what will this long gun be used for?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yes, this may be a joke ... but then again, maybe the OP really wants to break into rifles (and shotguns?).

So, OP, it sounds like you just need to start like many of us by buying a solid .22LR rifle and getting some training on how to use a rifle. I strongly suggest attending a Revere's Riders basic rifle class with your new .22LR rifle. To make the learning curve the flattest, I also suggest a magazine fed semi-automatic .22LR rifle ... something like a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795. Optics are optional, but if you want the most bang for your buck, splurge on a set of Tech Sights before attending the RR class.

And WELCOME to the long gun world where you can have and do anything you want ... for a price.

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    What is the farthest range you are able to shoot? That will narrow down a lot.
    Thats what I'm hoping to learn, what rifle I should be looking at to achieve that goal. I have a couple .22lr rifles now that would be great for small game but anything bigger then a rabbit is just plain wrong. I can't see myself hunting for anything larger then deer

I've heard about the "old" marlins and been looking for one at a good price for a while but I don't know anything about Henry or Remington (or other models for that point).

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Thats what I'm hoping to learn, what rifle I should be looking at to achieve that goal. I have a couple .22lr rifles now that would be great for small game but anything bigger then a rabbit is just plain wrong. I can't see myself hunting for anything larger then deer

I've heard about the "old" marlins and been looking for one at a good price for a while but I don't know anything about Henry or Remington (or other models for that point).
    Do you have access to a range that will allow you to shoot 500yds? 1000yds? a mile? If you only have access to 100 or 200yd range, its not really worth talking about "long range" possibilites. If you are just trying to punch paper, and put an accurate round in an animal at 200yds or in thats a big difference.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have a couple .22lr rifles now that would be great for small game but anything bigger then a rabbit is just plain wrong.
    Have you taken one of these .22lr rifles to a Revere's Riders event? They would teach you a great deal about rifles in general and you would learn a lot with just the .22

Then you might be able to better narrow down what you're looking for, caliber, range, etc etc

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ammo that won't break the bank?

Good one!

ALL ammo will break the bank in today's world. ALL of it.

Sorry to say, you've missed the boat.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Don't overthink it. Stay basic. Get a 22lr and start from there. I like the 10/22. If an autoloader isn't your thing, get a decent bolt action. You can easily buy a rifle and start shooting in normal markets for less than $400.

Ok just read some clarification. If you already have 22lr and want to start hunting bigger stuff, I'd go with a classic lever gun. 30-30 is probably the most ubiquitous general hunting rifle in the history of our country. I wouldn't worry about "old" versus "new" marlins just yet. That should get you shooting out to 200 yards, which is likely the longest hunting shot you'd have in Indiana.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Personally (and this is just my opinion) I think a bolt rifle in .270 winchester is a good all around rifle for medium game out to about 300 yds or so, and it can punch paper considerably further than that. Some of the factory loads are quite good and before everything became expensive those rounds were quite reasonably priced

It would be hard to go wrong with a good used Ruger M77 MkII or Winchester model 70 with a modest priced scope, caveat being that the Winchester 70 is a more complicated buy as there are some years of production, under various reorganizations, that are best avoided

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Budget makes a huge difference in the answer...so does irons or optics...but:

A lever gun in a classic caliber like 30/30 is an option.

If you want to step into the bolt guns: something like .270, 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 243 or even 300 blackout (and the list goes on).

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I mean, I hate to be a broken record on this forum, but what about an AK? Because...

1 I don't know much about long guns (just being honest here but at least I know what I don't know and that's half the battle to start with))
    The AK was built for dumb, diminutive, malnourished commie bumpkins to use, so even the most hayseed American should be able to figure one out.

2 I want to be able to use the long gun and not have a safe queen (but I would like to learn about those guns as well in case I ever run across "that deal"
    The AK is meant to be used hard. It can withstand a lot of abuse and wear and tear, has loose tolerances, is easy to field strip and reassemble, uses few parts, and requires little to no maintenance and upkeep.

3 I don't want to "break the bank" on ammo to feed it.
    7.62x39 is still plentiful, in stock all over the place, and remains relatively affordable compared to other popular calibers. Same for mags.

4 No ARs at this time please
    The AK is not an AR :cool:

And lastly I want to have real hopes of finding and buying this long gun at some point (I know the trends are nuts right now on prices).
    My vote would be for a Zastava USA ZPAP (quality factory import from Serbia) or a Palmetto State Armory PSAK Gen 4 or 5 (quality-ish factory domestic from South Carolina). Both come back in stock quite and are sub-$1,000 guns. There are plenty of used guns/private sales in the classifieds here, over on the AK Files, and on Gunbroker.

Target and possibly hunting.
    7.62x39 is a great round to plink with and is reasonably accurate out to about 300 yards. There are plenty of hollow point, soft point, and defensive rounds available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You're welcome? Good luck!

Top Bottom