• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What a crazy 2020 season so far! South Central Gun Club is happy to finally be getting back to a somewhat normal schedule. Upon the request and feedback from our members we will be hosting Family Steel Matches for the remainder of the season. Initially these matches will not include official steel challenge stages...although I expect family, friends and the good natured ribbing that is sure to ensue. Now all you have to do is pack up the .22 rifle and get the teenager away from the Xbox.

Saturday July 11th

8am setup, 9am sign in, 10am start.

$10 for 1st gun, $5 additional gun (2 gun limit)

Youth shoot for $5 for up to 2 guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll post in this thread vs the other. I have a few questions:

Is the start time 9 am for sure?

Do you need help for set up?

What caliber firearms can I use? Is it .22 only or can I shoot a 9 mm?

Rifle only? Line above saying pack up the .22 rifle and... confuses my feeble mind slightly.:)

How long will this last? And what can I expect for round counts?

Any particular gear I need to have? Holsters, mag carriers, body armor?

If there is a site I can go to for more info, a link would be fine so you don't have to answer all these question. Thanks!

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Help with set up would be appreciated. Start time is 10am.This is open to any pistol caliber, hand gun or rifle. You need a holster for center fire pistols, rim fire is start with pistol in hands. You need enough magazine to shoot each stage with out having to stop and reload magazines. There are 5 stage of 25rds. minimum each so 125rds for match per gun. The stages take around 30 minutes per stage so 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    Help with set up would be appreciated. Start time is 10am.This is open to any pistol caliber, hand gun or rifle. You need a holster for center fire pistols, rim fire is start with pistol in hands. You need enough magazine to shoot each stage with out having to stop and reload magazines. There are 5 stage of 25rds. minimum each so 125rds for match per gun. The stages take around 30 minutes per stage so 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

HMMMMMM! sounds a lot like steel challenge....

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    HMMMMMM! sounds a lot like steel challenge....

How does the money work out when clubs who have been having steel matches for years become affiliated with an organization?

Two local clubs have become affiliated in the last two or three years, as far as casual shooting goes I do not see any change.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll post in this thread vs the other. I have a few questions:

Is the start time 9 am for sure?

Do you need help for set up?

What caliber firearms can I use? Is it .22 only or can I shoot a 9 mm?

Rifle only? Line above saying pack up the .22 rifle and... confuses my feeble mind slightly.:)

How long will this last? And what can I expect for round counts?

Any particular gear I need to have? Holsters, mag carriers, body armor?

If there is a site I can go to for more info, a link would be fine so you don't have to answer all these question. Thanks!

It was fun. I grabbed a box of 9mm that was a mix of stuff that didn’t pass through the case gauge correctly and other random factory ammo, along with a couple Glocks. Also grabbed a .22 rifle. So nothing special. You could have drawn from a holster or started from a low ready position. This isn’t about winning or losing, it is about having fun with the equipment you have. Body armor is completely optional and best worn on very hot days. If I had to make a list of equipment it would be the same as any other recommendation. Handgun in a suitable common caliber, 5 magazines, sturdy belt, 2 x magazine pouch, outside the waistband holster made specifically for your firearm. Or you can shoot .22LR rifle or pistol, you will want them to be fed from a detachable magazine. I would always bring 200 rounds for each gun.

How does the money work out when clubs who have been having steel matches for years become affiliated with an organization?

Two local clubs have become affiliated in the last two or three years, as far as casual shooting goes I do not see any change.

Not sure I understand the question? An affiliated club has to shoot at least 2 official stages at an official match and owes SCSA money. I don’t think those fees cost much, but couldn’t say. We don’t charge much for matches so collecting money isn’t really the objective. We had 3 teenagers and 2 newer shooters with us on Saturday, that was the objective.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It was fun. I grabbed a box of 9mm that was a mix of stuff that didn’t pass through the case gauge correctly and other random factory ammo, along with a couple Glocks. Also grabbed a .22 rifle. So nothing special. You could have drawn from a holster or started from a low ready position. This isn’t about winning or losing, it is about having fun with the equipment you have. Body armor is completely optional and best worn on very hot days. If I had to make a list of equipment it would be the same as any other recommendation. Handgun in a suitable common caliber, 5 magazines, sturdy belt, 2 x magazine pouch, outside the waistband holster made specifically for your firearm. Or you can shoot .22LR rifle or pistol, you will want them to be fed from a detachable magazine. I would always bring 200 rounds for each gun.

Not sure I understand the question? An affiliated club has to shoot at least 2 official stages at an official match and owes SCSA money. I don’t think those fees cost much, but couldn’t say. We don’t charge much for matches so collecting money isn’t really the objective. We had 3 teenagers and 2 newer shooters with us on Saturday, that was the objective.[/QUOTE
    ]

When did it finish up? I passed on coming because of the later start thinking that with drive time I wouldn't have gotten home until 2ish.

I'm not at the point yet where I can give up so much day with what I have going on.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sign in was 9am, we started shooting at 10 am. Ran a little slower yesterday because the Steel Committee was new and I haven’t shot steel in a while. Little things like bagging and unbagging rifles and having enough people on a squad so magazines can get reloaded quickly affects the flow. Regardless I was home a little after 3pm so was out there until 2:30ish. Match would have been over but then the obligatory BS session must ensue.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sign in was 9am, we started shooting at 10 am. Ran a little slower yesterday because the Steel Committee was new and I haven’t shot steel in a while. Little things like bagging and unbagging rifles and having enough people on a squad so magazines can get reloaded quickly affects the flow. Regardless I was home a little after 3pm so was out there until 2:30ish. Match would have been over but then the obligatory BS session must ensue.

One day, I'll make it to some kind of event, I'm pretty sure. I just have an issue with time,lol.

I went to my range, ran a few drills, hit the dueling tree and plate rack a couple times, spent about 75 rounds and was back home at 9:40 to start my "chores".

Top Bottom