• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I got scammed a couple weeks ago on some night vision and I nearly just got scammed again on some ammo.

These are real accounts they have good feedback but have been hacked by outside sources and make posts.

Is there any reason there are more scammers popping up? And what can the site due to mitigate this risk?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I got scammed a couple weeks ago on some night vision and I nearly just got scammed again on some ammo.

These are real accounts they have good feedback but have been hacked by outside sources and make posts.

Is there any reason there are more scammers popping up? And what can the site due to mitigate this risk?

Shoot them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

What's the user name? And I assume you already reported it?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Been going on since last month apparently...

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    What's the user name? And I assume you already reported it?

First time was Warren5421. This time is was Misconfig. I was contacted about 15min after the posting by the real Misconfig stating his account was hacked and his posting was removed. He advised he already contacted site support.

I’m just posting here hoping it gains traction and INGO can up security or something. Ive been here for 10+ years and never had a single issue til a few weeks ago.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Been going on since last month apparently...

Yeah this scammer got me for 97 bucks. Filed a claim with PayPal and they closed it immediately and didn’t refund me due to the friends/family option.
    Which I didn’t mind using because of the good feedback. But apparently we can’t trust that now either

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah this scammer got me for 97 bucks. Filed a claim with PayPal and they closed it immediately and didn’t refund me due to the friends/family option.
    Which I didn’t mind using because of the good feedback. But apparently we can’t trust that now either
    I just noticed texkev posted a warning about using PayPal for the classifieds, probably because of this latest incident. Scammers suck! :xmad:

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    This is a new issue. But happening on tons of forums. I have talked to 3 other forum owners via phone.

These guys must have passwords or a tool to get them - on some accounts. Then they change their email and password. I have enabled 2 Factor, for now, no choice. There are things I am doing, monitoring things but the hacks happen fast, the one here happened 10 minutes after I ran checks. I am looking also into creating something to help.

The deals the ads they post are too go to be true. Before sending anyone money, you have to verify more info. Most of these guys are local, get a number. This is a community first and foremost, good members will understand.

I will likely force a password reset soon.

Sorry, doing our best, I recommend messaging me before using PayPal. I can run checks. Sounds like a hassle, I just want everyone safe here.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    Right! It’s the only easy option for people who don’t wanna drive distances to meet up or prefer to ship for safety reasons.
    I agree, for now, though verify more info, people will have a local area code, etc. I am doing as much as I can on my end FYI, been on this all day. Scammers will not offer more info, and so on. Also, msg me I can check a few things.

Next, I may have to turn on ad approvals for all posts.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    This is a new issue. But happening on tons of forums. I have talked to 3 other forum owners via phone.

These guys must have passwords or a tool to get them - on some accounts. Then they change their email and password. I have enabled 2 Factor, for now, no choice. There are things I am doing, monitoring things but the hacks happen fast, the one here happened 10 minutes after I ran checks. I am looking also into creating something to help.
    Is it possible to send an email to everyone telling/briefly explaining to them about this? I was wondering what was happening (I hate two-factor stuff, but better I do it for INGO than others).

Your efforts are appreciated, even if I grumble to myself.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

The deals the ads they post are too go to be true. Before sending anyone money, you have to verify more info. Most of these guys are local, get a number. This is a community first and foremost, good members will understand.

I will likely force a password reset soon.

Sorry, doing our best, I recommend messaging me before using PayPal. I can run checks. Sounds like a hassle, I just want everyone safe here.

Thank you sir!

:ingo:

I'll be going strait to txt message on any trade and be ready to have a dab of verification banter.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Coming to you soon:

The scammer(s) accounts leaving each other bogus feedback on bogus sale threads to make themselves look legit.

No, I have no proof but it is a logical step, especially if there are multiple accounts controlled by the same scammer or a group working together.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The simplest solution is to only do FTF transactions. No shipping or PayPal, until this threat is thwarted.

We will all just have to travel a bit farther or pass on the deal.
    Wise words BW.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    My account was just hacked. I have a PM that I was trying to sell a scope and wanted payment through zelle. Luckily it didn’t work.

Top Bottom