• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Not to hijack thread but, can I purchase 3 or 4 of these at the same time? I guess that question really goes for any gun purchase. One 4473, one call to NICS and the buyer leaves with multiple guns. Doable?

As far as I know, although FFLs are required to report sales of 2 or more handguns within a 5 consecutive business day period (form 3310.4) not later than the close of business on the day of the sale of the second handgun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As far as I know, although FFLs are required to report sales of 2 or more handguns within a 5 consecutive business day period (form 3310.4) not later than the close of business on the day of the sale of the second handgun.
    Not really related to manifest destiny's question, but this brings up another question. What if someone purchased more than 2 in 5 days, but from separate FFL's? How would the FFL that put them "over the limit" know to fill out the form 3310.4?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have been seeing that the local hardware store that also sells guns has been advertising 9 mm ammo on sale. Finally stopped in today. Got 200 rounds of target ammo for $70 so I guess I'm going to run some ammo through mine soon. It's probably not good that the store is very near the office where I work, and I drive past it every day.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Not really related to manifest destiny's question, but this brings up another question. What if someone purchased more than 2 in 5 days, but from separate FFL's? How would the FFL that put them "over the limit" know to fill out the form 3310.4?
    It's a licensee's responsibility to report to the ATF if the licensee sells or otherwise transfers two or more handguns to an individual within the 5 day period.

It's not a requirement that the FFL be "all knowing" if the individual acquired the second one somewhere else within the prior 5 days.

The basic purpose is that if someone buys a "bunch" of handguns at a time, and one or more of those soon after shows up as crime guns, likely gun trafficker purchasing scheme. The 3310.4 has the handgun description and serial numbers on it, along with the transferee information.

Of course, they could try to get around that by buying them at different stores, but then they have multiple NICS hits from multiple stores for handgun purchases within a very short time.

And, please don't be the guy who says, "That's a great price! How many do you have? I'll buy all of them and re-sell them to make a profit!" :rolleyes:

That puts me in the seat of knowing, "or should have known", that you intended to break the law with that purchase. I'll not sell you anything.

Top Bottom