Savage Muzzleloaders Blow Up - Company Sued!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    The Savage ML could handle smokeless powder because their barrels were proofed to the appropriate pressure. At that time, most ML barrel makers did not proof there barrels at all. BP pressures are low enough that they didn't need to be.

As far as the lawsuit goes, it was bogus. The "writer" in question was a greedy snake. When the rifle became popular, he wanted a bigger piece of the pie. Savage had paid him according to their contract, and terminated their relationship with him.

There are LOTS of Savage rifles that blew up. The ALL had a ramrod in the barrel at the time. If anyone has a Savage ML10-II that they don't want because they feel that the design is unsafe, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for you at a "reasonable" price.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Right, every one you see for sale is $1000-$2000.

Don
    Can't blame me for trying :) I gave $280 for mine when I ordered it, and another $200 for the aftermarket thumbhole stock. Been filling the freezer with it for almost 2 decades. Most of those years I used it exclusively once Firearms season started. I named it Mjolnir because a 300 gr projectile running over 2400 fps with almost 4000 ft lbs of KE will smite pretty much anything, including your shoulder....

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Not saying anything bad about the rifles. I have been tempted over the years to get one. Just that with all the negativity online about them you never see one for sale at a reasonable price.

Don

thelefthand

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Exactly. When used as intended, they were the best production muzzle loaders over produced by a LONG shot (no pun intended). Absolute shame that Savage discontinued them. You can still piece one together, but it's going to cost you around a grand to do it. You can also do it with a Remington action, or on an Encore frame.

Top Bottom