• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hello INGO,

I have been looking into a new bolt action 223 rifle. Wanting to get a Savage, I came across the 11-VT (Dicks package gun) and it sparked my interest. I want the AccuTrigger, heavy barrel, and a detachable mag. This seems to fit the bill.

Varmint Rifles | DICK'S Sporting Goods

My question
    - are there aftermarket stocks available for this gun? What has your experience been?

In researching, there seems to be conflicting information out there on aftermarket stocks being available for this gun as it is not appearing to be a standard model 11. I cannot find any information on Boyds website about this model.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Just built one. Any 4.400" stock works. Installed CDI bottom metal with AICS mags. Only hiccup will be the bottom trigger release. A few bucks of parts from Savage, and about 15 mins on a mill will result with the side of receiver bolt release. Mine is .308 and an ABSOLUTELY sub-moa rifle.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Hello INGO,

I want the AccuTrigger, heavy barrel, and a detachable mag. .

Maybe check out the Model 10. Mine is a 10FP .223, AccuTrigger, heavy barrel, mine came with the cheap plastic stock, but they offer it with a McMillon or another high dollar stock. It doesn't have a detachable mag, but I think there is a conversion out for it. There a ton of after market stocks out for it.
    I'll second Savageshooters, alot of info over there,and a lot of knowledgeable people.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    red_zr24x4 said:
    Maybe check out the Model 10. Mine is a 10FP .223, AccuTrigger, heavy barrel, mine came with the cheap plastic stock, but they offer it with a McMillon or another high dollar stock. It doesn't have a detachable mag, but I think there is a conversion out for it. There a ton of after market stocks out for it.
    I'll second Savageshooters, alot of info over there,and a lot of knowledgeable people.

So why is it you would recommend a more expensive model that doesn't even meet his criteria?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Most any stock inletted for Savage centerfeed/factory DBM (Manners, McMillan, Choate, Hogue, HS Precision) should work with maybe just a little inletting around the trigger guard area. Boyd's makes a number of stocks for the bottom bolt release centerfeed short action. Only catch is the 11VT has the crappy Axis-style DBM where the 'metal' is really plastic...so you might want/need to purchase a steel DBM frame which you can easily get from Savage, along with a steel (vs. plastic) magazine base plate.

XLR also makes a chassis for bottom bolt release as does McRee (I believe)...and as mentioned one can convert the bottom bolt release to a top bolt release.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Most any stock inletted for Savage centerfeed/factory DBM (Manners, McMillan, Choate, Hogue, HS Precision) should work with maybe just a little inletting around the trigger guard area. Boyd's makes a number of stocks for the bottom bolt release centerfeed short action. Only catch is the 11VT has the crappy Axis-style DBM where the 'metal' is really plastic...so you might want/need to purchase a steel DBM frame which you can easily get from Savage, along with a steel (vs. plastic) magazine base plate.

XLR also makes a chassis for bottom bolt release as does McRee (I believe)...and as mentioned one can convert the bottom bolt release to a top bolt release.

You! I knew there was someone "here" from "there"! :):

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have the 11VT in .308. I have looked at stocks and talked with Boyds. They can take care of you. I'm not able to shoot to the capabilities of mine in stock trim so I'm putting off any mods till something on the rifle is holding me back. Previous owner put 5 in one jagged hole at 100yds while he was teaching me a bit. I'm still shooting about 1.5MOA but it's getting better.

Matt

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have the 11VT in .308. I have looked at stocks and talked with Boyds. They can take care of you. I'm not able to shoot to the capabilities of mine in stock trim so I'm putting off any mods till something on the rifle is holding me back. Previous owner put 5 in one jagged hole at 100yds while he was teaching me a bit. I'm still shooting about 1.5MOA but it's getting better.

Matt

You mention that Boyd's can take care of you - could you expand? Do they have a stock that would work?

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010

Do you know if putting in a steel DBM frame and steel mag base plate is required to make a Boyd's stock work? Or just more optional?

If I picked you this rifle, I think I would like to swap the stock eventually. However, I'm not a gun smith nor do I want to invest a lot of new parts just to make a stock work.

But, to get what I'm looking for in the rifle, not sure what other Savage models would fit the bill.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Just built one. Any 4.400" stock works. Installed CDI bottom metal with AICS mags. Only hiccup will be the bottom trigger release. A few bucks of parts from Savage, and about 15 mins on a mill will result with the side of receiver bolt release. Mine is .308 and an ABSOLUTELY sub-moa rifle.

Sorry....but, you lost me. Went right over my head. :dunno:

As can see, I'm pretty clueless in this area.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Do you know if putting in a steel DBM frame and steel mag base plate is required to make a Boyd's stock work? Or just more optional?

I don't as I don't personally own one of those rifles...but I'd guarantee if you ask that question on Savage Shooters somebody will know the answer and post it in short order.

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I have this in .223 and I am really happy with it. The scope kinda sucks, but the stock doesn't bother me. I was looking at stocks, and like the other people said, there are stocks that fit but they just need a little sanding around the trigger area.

Top Bottom