• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And finally . . .

I never realized it before today, maybe because my SPOT R.A.P. (Roadside Assistance Plan) renewed today, but from what I can see, there is no comparable service available thru Apple, Garmin, Defy, Somewhere, Zoleo or ACR BivyStick.

There is zero indication that this is a remote vehicle recovery plan from the outback. There is a modest added fee, I believe it is $29 a year for the service.

SPOT's R.A.P. is different than the remote S.O.S life saving rescue service, the R.A.P. is basically the auto club. The S.O.S is a full blown life saving Search & Rescue operation that mobilizes. There is a $35 annual fee for the Search & Rescue benefits plan. I probably no longer need that, but I was glad to have when for some remote hikes and backroad motorcycle journeys. The S.O.S's Search & Rescue plan includes medical helicopter, remote cliffside rescue, blah blah blah. At 63, my serious adventuring days are probably limited now, but I wouldn't mind another Canadian moto trip into the mountains so. . . It should be noted that Garmin does offer an S.O.S. rescue and insurance plan. Motorola's Defy has an S.O.S. plan, not sure what their rescue insurance costs. Ditto the others.

SPOT's R.A.P. is basically a clone of the AAA's roadside assistance program. The advantage is it lets me notify them via the SPOT satellite system when outside of cellular coverage. When inside cellular range I can call them on my cellphone for the same assistance.

The SPOT R.A.P. is not assigned to a specific vehicle, but rather to me, so as long as I read off my ID info to them, they will dispatch an appropriate aid to rescue my vehicle, get me gas, unlock my car, etc, etc, etc.

PDF of the SPOT Roadside Assistance Plan offering: https://www.findmespot.com/SPOT/media/Downloads/General/SPOT_SOV_TermsConditions.pdf

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I got an InReach mini from a fellow INGO member. Primary use is for spouse’s peace of mind. Daily checkin and SOS feature if needed. Thru hiking the AT this year and determined I can get by with the basic plan and use cell phone for chatting when cell service is available. I do not use the navigation features.
    How’s the hike?!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom