Sanity check - 6.5 creedmore first firing and resize.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Brand new rifle, new Hornady ELD Match ammo. I only have 40 rounds and thought I'd buy factory first, then use that brass as a base. After cleaning, I measured everything. Then resized thinking I have a chamber sized case. I was a bit surprised that the case grew at the shoulder by .003". I haven't pulled the rifle out of the safe to see if it has an issue chambering the empty case (after work task). Is it normal for factory new brass to be so undersized it takes more than one firing to fire form? I'd hate to have to need to have the HS checked on a brand new gun.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's a bit subjective, but for the cartridge it looks like it's at the maximums with respect to lengths and a few thousandths under for diameters. If I'm reading this right, the cartridge maximum is larger than the chamber minimum for HS. That means my chamber being too tight is entirely possible. But if they grow again after this next firing/sizing, I think I might have a bad die.

I took a break and tried a freshly sized case and it's a bit hard to chamber. I might need to take the firing pin out so I can eliminate that spring tension, but rotating the bolt had more drag than I want. I really want -.002" HS, but that doesn't seem possible with this die and this rifle. I guess I need to load this batch and see what happens at the next resize. I figured bottoming them out on the die would put them a couple though under maximums at least.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    ^^^ therein lies the problem. I'm already against the shell holder.

Time for the favorite tool of gunsmiths, The Dremel tool!
    Just kidding, I've never run into your problem.
    Good luck with resolving it. I can't even make a decent suggestion.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I found that the ELD match is indeed undersized and even short in the OAL from base to shoulder. Why they do this I have no idea but I ended up buying Starline brass and all is good.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    take shell holder flip upside down do figure 8 on a tble saw top or something really flat. start with 600 grit paper go slow thinning the top of the shell holder
    will make your die act as a small base die. had to do this for a 308 sendero
    Or a sheet of wet sand paper on a piece of glass. That is the same process I use to lap an upper receiver.

Back in summer 2019, I had similar brass issue for a PSA 6.5C build. Used S&B and Winchester-Wally 6.5C factory rounds to get brass for reloading.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Give it another 1/8th to a 1/4th turn you will be surprised it is called over camming!
    take shell holder flip upside down do figure 8 on a tble saw top or something really flat. start with 600 grit paper go slow thinning the top of the shell holder
    will make your die act as a small base die. had to do this for a 308 sendero
    I owe you both a beer. About 5 minutes with the older and an 1/8 turn in on the die got me further than I wanted. So now I have my target and some flexibility on both sides of the goal.

2nd firing and most of the cases grew an additional .002" past my initial resize. Things are obviously still working to the chamber. But, I was able to resize down below my first attempt by another .004".

Recap - Factory ammo fire formed to 1.563. First resize move that out to 1.566. Second firing, brass was 1.565-1.567. Resized to 1.562. Most say a .002 bump is ideal, but I'm going for three this go round.

My second firing was my own loads and a .3gr increase per string. Strings 3 and 7 were the best for both speed and grouping. I'm repeating the exercise starting .3gr above my last load. Group 8 was my last and speeds were just under 2700fps. I really want a speed node above 2700.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Glad it helped you, if you don't have a wilson case gauge i would suggest you get one a it will simplify your reloading process, just from your resized case in and it will give you a go and or no go and also let you know if brass needs trimmed.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have Lyman case gauges for everything else. For this load, I'm going for precision, so every case gets measured carefully. I'm using Lee dies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom