• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    As close to a Russian AK as you'll get. I have a Saiga 223 that is converted to original AK configuration, and I love it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    They are good quality, with the only difference being the "sporter" stock, rather than pistol stock. I need to convert my .223 to a pistol version and do whatever else mods are required to allow more than 10 round mags, legally.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You cannot use non-russian mags (only low-cap) without swapping a certain number of parts. Converting it to AK config lets you get the parts you need, traditional config and higher cap mags. Research 922(r) for more info.

in the 223, there's also a mag block that lets you use AR15 mags after a little modification to the gun. That's my next step

juggaloxjj4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    if you want a gun to shoot for three days straight throw in your trunk drive to iran and get into a gunfight and not worry about your gun breaking get you one

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They are good quality, with the only difference being the "sporter" stock, rather than pistol stock.

And the trigger is different (worse pull), the receiver doesn't have a feed ramp built in (thus requiring proprietary magazines) or dimples to stabilize the magazine, and the front end won't accept standard AK handguards or muzzle devices. Other than that, it's identical to an AK. ;)

I tend to regard the Saiga rifle as a modern-day or improved SKS in that it is a more traditional layout and has a limited capacity compared to the AK. The Saiga, of course, has several advantages over the SKS - it is shorter, lighter, accepts a detachable magazine, and is much easier to work on.

Convert the Saiga into an AK-type configuration that can accept military magazines, and you have about the closest you'll ever get to a real Russian AK in this country. Lots of potential.

Arsenal Inc. will soon be offering the SLG-20 – essentially a special-edition Saiga rifle that has all the conversion work already done - for about $900.
    saiga_sgl20.jpg

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I am quite happy with my 7.62, with the exception of the trigger. Once I find the butt stock and pistol grip I want (already have a tapco G2) I will convert mine. I am not certain if I will install the feed ramp to allow standard AK mags. Pro Mag (which seems to have a bad rep, though I have had 0 problems with mine) makes a Saiga 30 rounder and I believe Sure Fire does as well. Just keep in mind that if you use these mags without converting, you will not be in compliance.

Check out the forums at saiga-12.com for more information than you can shake a stick at concerning all things Saiga.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Pro Mag (which seems to have a bad rep, though I have had 0 problems with mine) makes a Saiga 30 rounder and I believe Sure Fire does as well. Just keep in mind that if you use these mags without converting, you will not be in compliance.

This is true, but if you do use them, that's 3 fewer compliance parts you have to worry about. Personally, I'd put all the compliance parts in the gun itself, so I could use foreign-made mags.

Check out the forums at saiga-12.com for more information than you can shake a stick at concerning all things Saiga.

The noise-to-signal ratio can be pretty high over there... proceed with caution and keep your BS filter turned up. I've been a member there since 2003, but have a whopping 378 posts. :lmfao: I visit infrequently and contribute even less.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    922r compliance, any "non-sporting" rifle that is imported has to have a certain number of US made parts. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it, but that's the most basic definition.

I remember seeing crates of Saigas right next to the Mosin Nagants at many of the gun stores I frequent. Every time I thought "I should pick one up." I wish I had now, If my memory serves they were going for ~$230 bucks way back when.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    :yesway:
    This is true, but if you do use them, that's 3 fewer compliance parts you have to worry about. Personally, I'd put all the compliance parts in the gun itself, so I could use foreign-made mags.

The noise-to-signal ratio can be pretty high over there... proceed with caution and keep your BS filter turned up. I've been a member there since 2003, but have a whopping 378 posts. :lmfao: I visit infrequently and contribute even less.

Good point on the compliance parts. Even better point on the noise to signal ratio. I've been checking out that forum for about a year now, 0 posts. I mainly review the Rifle Conversion and the 7.62 forums for ideas that I might not have thought of otherwise.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    922r compliance, any "non-sporting" rifle that is imported has to have a certain number of US made parts. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it, but that's the most basic definition.

Eh, not quite. 922(r) states that "(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes."

Basically, if it can't be imported (i.e. is "non-sporting"), you can't build an identical gun using foreign parts. By replacing "X" number of foreign parts with US made equivalents, the resulting gun is no longer considered "foreign" or "imported" and is not subject to the restriction.

Example: an AKM that accepts military magazines and has a folding stock and threaded muzzle would not be importable, so you can't go build one in that configuration using entirely foreign parts. Instead, you have to swap in (5) US-made parts to get the imported parts count below 10, which renders the gun "domestic".

Here's a handy website with the 922 parts count and US-made part availability for various foreign semi-auto firearms:
    Section 922(r) Parts Count

bailey5460

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Kokomo
    I recently obtained an AK-47 (saiga) fully tactical with scope, lazer, folding stock and all. I love this gun and it has a very good look to it.

Top Bottom