• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    So I'm running a Lockdown puck that keeps track of my safe opening, closing, temp and humidity and it got me thinking.

I'm usually at 30% humidity at 72 degrees inside. From. What I've read thats pretty good. Is there a downfall to getting the humidity lower by adding desiccant packs?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    No impact on metal or polymer? I don't think I own a wood anything In my safe
    To my understanding, it wouldn’t an issue. However, keeping moisture off your stuff is more relevant than keeping humidity extremely low. Install a Golden Rod the width of your safe and never look back. It raises the temperature inside the safe by a few degrees over the ambient air outside, keeping a circulation of air flowing and humidity off your gear. At my old house, my garage safe was nearly 90 degrees in the summers, not a spot of rust over many years using the golden rod.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    To my understanding, it wouldn’t an issue. However, keeping moisture off your stuff is more relevant than keeping humidity extremely low. Install a Golden Rod the width of your safe and never look back. It raises the temperature inside the safe by a few degrees over the ambient air outside, keeping a circulation of air flowing and humidity off your gear. At my old house, my garage safe was nearly 90 degrees in the summers, not a spot of rust over many years using the golden rod.
    I have libertys version of one. Was just contemplating trying to lower the humidity more.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've heard the same thing...keep moisture off the guns is more important than the humidity level.
    I'm installing two new safes right after Christmas...will be putting an 18" Golden Rod Dehumidifier in each of them!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Humidity too low can warp and crack wood.
    Too low of humidity can dry out real wood, which is why it warps or cracks...which sucks!
    Keeping the humidity or moisture level high enough so that it doesn't suck the moisture out of the wood itself, is important in preserving good wood!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You`ve just answered a question I`ve had, and, given my heart a reprieve. Our furnace is ion the basement, and so the garage gets no heating or cooling. It is the most extreme temperatures in the summer and winter, and I`ve worried about my garage gun safe. I just changed the Golden Rod after nearly 25 years because it seemed to not be getting quite as warm, but still, I`d worried about how effective the protection would be in those extreme temps. Thank you for this post.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have the dehumidifiers that you plug into the wall to reactivate. I am very bad about keeping them recharged. That being said, I don't get any rust on my guns or mildew on my leather. I think you are overthinking the whole thing.

Top Bottom