• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fzd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fishers
    Hello everyone. I recently purchased a few boxes of Winchester 9mm 100 rounds value pack from local Cabela's. I've heard about their recently issues with quality control.
    So... I visually checked all rounds and found a few of them with noticeable dents on the rim.

Not sure if they are safe to fire. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    20210202_113046 (2).jpg 20210202_113158 (2).jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In the manufacturing process after several draws, a tool does touch that area to cut the extractor groove. Even tho it might just be tooling marks, I don’t think I would fire them just in case if they are cracks. Just not worth the potential risk.

Good advice above to contact the manufacture and good job of eye balling your ammo before loading. I suspect a lot of junk is being put out there now.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Looks like crap to me. I know their bulk packs have never been known for quality but that is a new low. Looks like their centerfire QC is getting down to their rimfire QC level.

My guess is the tooling that holds the case when cutting the extractor groove is past being worn out and allows the case to move during the cutting process so the start and end points aren't even. I'd look at it very closely and if the case isn't cracked I'd do a plunk test to see if it chambers. If it chambers I'd shoot a few and examine the spent cases very closely before shooting the rest.
    Also may want to check that the case head is concentric and not grossly out of round.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    And they say reloads are unsafe? That there takes the prize for unsafe ammunition.
    Maybe gun manufacturers should start adding factory made brands to the no shoot list for their firearms.

How did that make it past quality control?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Glad you caught that. As someone that had a round of white box blow up in the chamber throwing the mag release into my hand and dropping the mag, I'll never shoot white box ever again. It really hurt too. And, FWIW, Winchester never responded to my communications.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Glad you caught that. As someone that had a round of white box blow up in the chamber throwing the mag release into my hand and dropping the mag, I'll never shoot white box ever again. It really hurt too. And, FWIW, Winchester never responded to my communications.
    Should have pulled a few and weighed the charges.

Top Bottom