• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I wouldn't say much, I've stripped out a 1\2" drive newer ratchet trying to loosen a stubborn bolt only to then remove it easily with a 40 year old 3/8" drive.

It's not just a tool's failure point, it's also the quality in production. The newer Craftsman tools are not subjected to the same quality control as the older ones, and this is the case with many things nowdays. The socket aren't as polished inside and out, wall thickness has been reduced ect.

One doesn't have to look too far back to see Sears failed the brand, then K-Mart couldn't use the brand to keep themselves on life support and now, as far as I know, Lowe's is the only store selling them and their return policy is horrible on a lifetime guaranteed tool.

After Lowe's has had their fill of the brand not carrying it's own weight, Craftsman will be degraded to an internet brand you'll find on Amazon and ebay. This saddens me because it was America's brand, and was destroyed through corporate greed for higher profit margins. (Remington, Winchester, General Motors, GE ect).

Older Craftsman tools will always have a place in my garage, but when it comes to newer tools, there's way better and less expensive options out there.

Sorry for hijack kickbacked.
    At one point, Sears said “we unconditionally guarantee the tools, they must be high quality”.

Then, it became “we unconditionally guarantee the tools, they must be cheap”…

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    After Lowe's has had their fill of the brand not carrying it's own weight, Craftsman will be degraded to an internet brand you'll find on Amazon and ebay. This saddens me because it was America's brand
    Lowes does not own Craftsman, they just sell the stuff. Stanley Black & Decker own them.

1674578769686.jpeg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Someone will realize they need to sell a kit that includes several 10mm sockets and end up cornering the market.

and my favorite:

w8y005umlxw31.jpg

Note the warning...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Most of my "trunk" tools have been pieced together over many years. Mismatched brands and whatnot, but all functional for basic roadside repairs. Many were bought at auctions. Unfortunately I sometimes have to buy the whole box of miscellaneous tools just to get the three or four I want. But hey, the whole box was $8. The bags that hold trunk tools usually came from Goodwill or the like. My knock on pre-packaged tool sets, and I've bought many, is they often omit one particular size of socket (15mm!). Or the sockets are well enough but the drive is crap. Or whatever other way they work it. I'm not sure why Lowe's puts so much effort into selling Craftsman, given how much the invested in Kobalt, which I thought they owned??

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    To be honest, Craftsman still makes a pretty decent tool. Their ratchet ergonomics are better than most, and I have only broken one, which I promptly rebuilt because... ya know... you can get parts.

They aren't MAC or Snap-On, but they don't cost as much, either.
    Bought my son one of those Craftsman clamshell sets when he started adulting. 170 pieces or whatever it was. Comparing them to what I got in the 80s when I was his age, they're night and day in quality, but probably close to the same price now that they were then.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Before Christmas you could find the gunmetal grey Craftman kits at Lowes at IIRC 50% off. I was waiting for the big mofo 150 pc kit to go on sale but no joy. :(

There is a new HF in Logansport that just opened a couple weeks ago. :thumbsup:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Craftsman now has a few levels of fit and finish available.

My son just got a CM toolbox with tools and the wrenches and ratchets are not good. Real rough edges, the wrenches appear to have no smoothing done on them.

he also got a couple of clamshell socket sets and the ratchets and sockets have a way better finish to them, way smoother.

they're still guaranteed though.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Someone will realize they need to sell a kit that includes several 10mm sockets and end up cornering the market.
    I just picked up this set of 10mm Gearwrench sockets off Amazon before Christmas. I think they were 30% off at the time. Figure I'm covered for a while. It was nice that it came with sockets holder.

Attachments

• 20230124_212330.jpg
      20230124_212330.jpg
      472.6 KB · Views: 5

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not sure why Lowe's puts so much effort into selling Craftsman, given how much the invested in Kobalt, which I thought they owned??
    In the graphic I posted above see Apex Tools, they make a lot of both Kobalt and Craftsman badged hand tools. Chevron makes power tools for both brands. All the name brands we see are a mirage, there are only a few manufacturers of things today…

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    they're still guaranteed though.
    It is not easy to get them replaced. One of the tactics they use is the item you recieve to replace a broken tool must be identical to what you broke. Does not matter if both are #2 phillips, they must have identical handles is what I was told.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    In the graphic I posted above see Apex Tools, they make a lot of both Kobalt and Craftsman badged hand tools. Chevron makes power tools for both brands. All the name brands we see are a mirage, there are only a few manufacturers of things today…
    I saw the graphic. Pretty crazy really, given the illusion of choice. Commercial mowing equipment is similar in that there are only a couple major manufacturers that produce most equipment. They simply swap out paint color and stickers primarily. But some brands will spec particulars for their branded equipment from Textron (or whoever). And sometimes these small spec changes can be profound for the end user. Think stamped deck vs. fab'd, pump size, etc. In the case of Kobalt, wasn't Lowe's the exclusive seller of that brand? To start hard selling a competitive brand if/when Lowe's invested dollars into the Kobalt brand seems counterintuitive. But I suppose they consider everything in the aggregate while I'm just looking for one good pair of tongue and groove pliers.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I saw the graphic. Pretty crazy really, given the illusion of choice. Commercial mowing equipment is similar in that there are only a couple major manufacturers that produce most equipment. They simply swap out paint color and stickers primarily. But some brands will spec particulars for their branded equipment from Textron (or whoever). And sometimes these small spec changes can be profound for the end user. Think stamped deck vs. fab'd, pump size, etc. In the case of Kobalt, wasn't Lowe's the exclusive seller of that brand? To start hard selling a competitive brand if/when Lowe's invested dollars into the Kobalt brand seems counterintuitive. But I suppose they consider everything in the aggregate while I'm just looking for one good pair of tongue and groove pliers.
    My best guess as to where they are is when they invested in the Kobalt brand it was to compete with Sears Craftsman. Then when rights to the Craftsman name, they also went for that low hanging fruit.

It still amazes me that consumers are so ignorant that they have no clue there is no Schwinn bicycle company and there has not been one for decades, but retailers can still milk the name with nostalgic boomers. Same for RCA, Magnavox, Bolens, and hundreds more…

Last edited:

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    For space saving you might consider ditching the case for whatever you pickup in favor a tool roll and socket holders. This is what I did for my truck tools. Between the smallish socket set and other tools I added, it makes a convenient combo to grab and go work on whatever.

I went with a 30 piece crescent branded set off eBay. It's been fine for the minimal use it gets. But as indicated above, I've added in some things like a craftsman breaker bar, etc. so I'm not too worried about a quality handicap.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My best guess as to where they are is when they invested in the Kobalt brand it was to compete with Sears Craftsman. Then when rights to the Craftsman name, they also went for that low hanging fruit.

It still amazes me that consumers are so ignorant that they have no clue there is no Schwinn bicycle company and there has not been one for decades, but retailers can still milk the name with nostalgic boomers. Same for RCA, Magnavox, Bolens, and hundreds more…
    Craftsman exists in name only now. Which would explain why the hand tool company suddenly makes shop vacs, snow blowers, string trimmers, push mowers, etc.

For me it backfired. I have no idea who really makes craftsman gas powered tools. So its a no-go for me.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Craftsman exists in name only now. Which would explain why the hand tool company suddenly makes shop vacs, snow blowers, string trimmers, push mowers, etc.

For me it backfired. I have no idea who really makes craftsman gas powered tools. So its a no-go for me.
    Yep, just a name that fools many older folks that do not understand modern business and the selling of names of value that goes on today…

Top Bottom