• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've got my dad's WWII issue S&W Victory Model 38 Special. We took it to the range the other day, and after about 40 rounds, it simply seized up. I couldn't pull the hammer back, couldn't pull the trigger, couldn't even push the cylinder release. After fiddling with it for a while, it seemed to just start operating normally, although I didn't try shooting it any more. It has always been well cared for and lubricated.

Any hints on what happened? I'm not a revolver person, so I'm stumped.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Maybe time to have a trusted gunsmith take a peek inside at springs, and check for debris buildup.My Early M10 has a go over if anything acts crazy. Good luck.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Yes a good take down and cleaning is all it takes to make these older wheel guns run smooth sometimes. Good luck, wish I had one with family history.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Good advice, forgot that simple item to check.
    The ejector rod has unscrewed enough to jam the cylinder. These have a left hand thread. Carefully turn the rod (that is under the barrel) back in and the gun will unlock and operate properly. This is common and a frequent check to make sure the rod is tight will prevent future problems.
    Good advice, forgot this simple item to check.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    PS you won't be able to open the crane until you relieve the tension by screwing the rod back in as it pushes against the spring loaded pin the takedown normally depresses to open. Please, please, PLEASE do not try to pry it open. Just turn the rod counter clock wise until you can open it and then turn the rod in until snug. Do not over tighten as this is how to disassemble the cylinder for cleaning and maintenance. Simple fix...

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    if it's a WW 2 gun it probably has right hand threads on the ejector rod .Look at the end of the rod ,the knruled end ,if it has a groove cut back of the knruled section it has left hand threads ,if no groove
    it is right hand threads

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    if it's a WW 2 gun it probably has right hand threads on the ejector rod .Look at the end of the rod ,the knruled end ,if it has a groove cut back of the knruled section it has left hand threads ,if no groove
    it is right hand threads

Good to know, thanks for the info.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I inherited a Victory model from my dad as well. It is in perfect condition and lives in an airman's holster. Problem is, my dad was artillery, not air corp. But my uncle was a pilot. I've always assumed they traded with each other but I've never learned what my uncle got in the trade. There has been hushed talk of a Thompson for years. But like the two veterans, the truth of that story is long past.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've got my dad's WWII issue S&W Victory Model 38 Special. We took it to the range the other day, and after about 40 rounds, it simply seized up. I couldn't pull the hammer back, couldn't pull the trigger, couldn't even push the cylinder release. After fiddling with it for a while, it seemed to just start operating normally, although I didn't try shooting it any more. It has always been well cared for and lubricated.

Any hints on what happened? I'm not a revolver person, so I'm stumped.
    Had a similar issue with a Redhawk a few years back- turned out to be a sliver of lead under the ejector star from my reloads.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I inherited a Victory model from my dad as well. It is in perfect condition and lives in an airman's holster. Problem is, my dad was artillery, not air corp. But my uncle was a pilot. I've always assumed they traded with each other but I've never learned what my uncle got in the trade. There has been hushed talk of a Thompson for years. But like the two veterans, the truth of that story is long past.

My dad was a Marine medic attached to a fighter squadron in the South Pacific. Mine is in nearly perfect condition too. The story he told was that when his carrier stopped at Pearl Harbor after the war ended, he bought my mom a makeup case, put his pistol in it, and mailed it to her, along with a half-dozen loaded Garand clips, although I could never figure out why he bothered with those, since he sadly didn't bring one of those home too.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Could be an ammo problem also. I have had cases that were out of spec...too thick in the base; and would bind in the cylinder when attempting to rotate. Those same rounds would work in a lever action rifle.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Is there a story as to how he was able to get his service revolver back home?
    My dad was a Marine medic attached to a fighter squadron in the South Pacific. Mine is in nearly perfect condition too. The story he told was that when his carrier stopped at Pearl Harbor after the war ended, he bought my mom a makeup case, put his pistol in it, and mailed it to her, along with a half-dozen loaded Garand clips, although I could never figure out why he bothered with those, since he sadly didn't bring one of those home too.
    I hope you were able to resolve the issue! I've always been interested in the history of .38 Specials of WWII. I wish I was able to find one that was turned in on surplus, or of a similar nature (I'd hate to buy someone's heirloom.) That was a creative idea in order to send it home! I take it they weren't keeping records to make them turn their guns back in?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My Smith & Wesson 617 locked up like that one time at the range. Once I got home, I was able to free it up and determined that the root cause was just a little bit of lead or powder fouling that found its way into the wrong place.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Is there a story as to how he was able to get his service revolver back home?
    If there is, it left this earth with him. We never talked about the war or any of the relics he brought home. He also brought home a WW I Styer M1912 9mm pistol. In 1945 the Germans were desperate for men and material.

310px-Steyr-Hahn_M1912.JPG

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If there is, it left this earth with him. We never talked about the war or any of the relics he brought home. He also brought home a WW I Styer M1912 9mm pistol. In 1945 the Germans were desperate for men and material.

310px-Steyr-Hahn_M1912.JPG

Thank you for sharing! My uncle brought home a Luger and gave it to my grandpa. I wish I could have had it but my cousin got it instead. He does WWII reenacting so I guess it was fair.

Top Bottom