• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I have shot one a lot at the range I work part time. Accurate like any other M&P. Nice trigger. What you expect from a small semi big cap 9mm.

We have a range program. From shooting the range sample I decided to get one through S&W direct that will be a something gun.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I have one and it is my EDC...Mine is the Shield Plus 3.1" barrel...Has nights sights and is optic cut. Trigger is crisp with minimal creep, little overtravel, and a short, crisp reset that’s audible and tactile. Came with 10 round flush and 13 round magazines...I don't like the pinky dangle, so I put a Pearce Grip finger extension on the flush mag. I compared the trigger pull to the Hellcat and 365 in a side-by-side range session and the Shield is hands down the best...

The shape and texture of its grip makes it one of the most controllable pistols I have ever owned. Grip is ergonomic and comfortable, nice palm-filling grip shape and almost perfect grip texture for me at least. I am 6'4" with larger than average hands and the Shield Plus fits me like a glove. No having to adjust my grip after firing, the grips keep it firmly seated in my hand. The 18-degree grip angle of the Shield Plus and the palm swell are just right. The beavertail is deep enough to prevent slide bites as well, even with larger hands.

I don't shoot the "micro" compacts well for whatever reason....The Shield Plus is the perfect fit for me....I can shoot it like a full sized pistol. The size, weight, and capacity are all good and the reliability so far is perfect... In my opinion, the Shield Plus is a very, very solid performer and a great value for the price.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I also carried a Gen 1 Shield for years. Decided to upgrade to a larger capacity and could not decide on the 3.1" or the 4". I shoot the 4" much better and like the fiber optic sights better than the night sights that come on the optic ready 3.1. So my solution was to buy both and let the dress of the day dictate which I carry. Big bennefit with two that use the same mags and holsters.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Excellent gun. Trigger is great. Fits perfectly in my hand with the 13-round mag. Comfortable to carry and shoot and only 18-19 oz. Reliable. Good grip texture. As accurate as the shooter will allow.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I have one and it is my EDC...Mine is the Shield Plus 3.1" barrel...Has nights sights and is optic cut. Trigger is crisp with minimal creep, little overtravel, and a short, crisp reset that’s audible and tactile. Came with 10 round flush and 13 round magazines...I don't like the pinky dangle, so I put a Pearce Grip finger extension on the flush mag. I compared the trigger pull to the Hellcat and 365 in a side-by-side range session and the Shield is hands down the best...

The shape and texture of its grip makes it one of the most controllable pistols I have ever owned. Grip is ergonomic and comfortable, nice palm-filling grip shape and almost perfect grip texture for me at least. I am 6'4" with larger than average hands and the Shield Plus fits me like a glove. No having to adjust my grip after firing, the grips keep it firmly seated in my hand. The 18-degree grip angle of the Shield Plus and the palm swell are just right. The beavertail is deep enough to prevent slide bites as well, even with larger hands.

I don't shoot the "micro" compacts well for whatever reason....The Shield Plus is the perfect fit for me....I can shoot it like a full sized pistol. The size, weight, and capacity are all good and the reliability so far is perfect... In my opinion, the Shield Plus is a very, very solid performer and a great value for the price.
    Ditto what Trebor said.

Grips and points great for me. Only downside is the optics cut is RMSc with the third post, so Holosun 407/507 won't work without a slide mod (I see they made the cut on the Equalizer Holosun compatible). Currently running a CT Rad Micro.

More accurate than me... 10 rounds in 2 inch circle at 10 yards, standing, firing when the dot centered on the circle.

I got mine as a bundle on a PSA Hot deal... came with 4 13-rnd mags and one 10-rnd.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a 4" PC ported version (happens to be FS in the classies right now) . Accurate, best "out of the box" striker fired trigger on the market IMHO. I've put a couple hundred rounds down range without issue. If the size suits you, you can't go wrong with one. I shoot a little better with a little larger gun, that's my reason for selling but the Shield plus is a great pistol.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    It is right up there with P365/P365XL/X Macro & SA Hellcat Pro as the best micro 9mms on the market. I would add the Glock 48 but only if paired with Shield Arms 15 round mags.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I like mine pretty well. Fits my hand good with the 13 round mag and has a great trigger. It hits what I aim at so no complaints with accuracy either. I'm a lefty and the reversible mag release is a nice feature too. My only other experience with a compact 9mm is a Gen 1 Shield which is a good pistol too but the Shield Plus is a nice improvement over that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On my third Shield. Still have a 2.0 and a Plus model. I went from a snubby to my first Shield. Owned, shot and carried it for years then decided to sell it. I immediately regretted it so I bought the 2.0, this time without a thumb safety.

Then when the Plus came out, I though I may as well.

Other than the capacity and a slight increase in the grip width, they both perform the same. I could have saved the money and stuck with my 2.0 but I can't get close to my money out of the Plus so I'll enjoy the extra rounds.

I put Ameriglo sights on all my Shields and the Apex USB plus a basic stone and polish of some of the trigger contact points.

Never had any issues with any of them so I keep on keeping on.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How many of you have had issues with the 13rd mag only getting 12 rounds in it?
    I can get 13 rounds in but it's tight and you really have to slam it hard to get it to seat in the pistol.

And 13 + 1 is even tougher it seems. I have been leaving my mags fully loaded since I got it with the hopes they will loosen up some.

That is the one thing I'm not crazy about with the Plus. The 2.0 mags load easily and seat easier.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I can get 13 rounds in but it's tight and you really have to slam it hard to get it to seat in the pistol.

And 13 + 1 is even tougher it seems. I have been leaving my mags fully loaded since I got it with the hopes they will loosen up some.

That is the one thing I'm not crazy about with the Plus. The 2.0 mags load easily and seat easier.
    Apparently there's a problem with too much material on the back side of the follower not allowing the spring to slip into its designated position when it gets compressed causing the problem of the 13th round not fitting. There's a vid out showing how to fix the problem. I was just wondering how widespread the issue is. Other than that I can't find any complaints of the pistol on the internet

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    How many of you have had issues with the 13rd mag only getting 12 rounds in it?
    I load my mags with a Uplula loader and can get 13 in the magazine..I tried it without the loader and couldn't get the 13rd round in without nearly fracturing my thumb ;). As gregkl said, once fully loaded you have to slam it pretty hard (or at least harder than it should take) to get it to seat...I tried loading 12 in it for carry and it doesn't make much difference in terms of seating the mag....still need some force to get it seated but not quite as much as with 13 in the mag....I was actually a little concerned about the feed with 13 in place due to it being difficult to seat but have never had a FTF to date....hoping it get easier over time...

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Apparently there's a problem with too much material on the back side of the follower not allowing the spring to slip into its designated position when it gets compressed causing the problem of the 13th round not fitting. There's a vid out showing how to fix the problem. I was just wondering how widespread the issue is. Other than that I can't find any complaints of the pistol on the internet
    It feels like the spring is completely compressed and bottomed out with that last round

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I load my mags with a Upula loader and can get 13 in the magazine..I tried it without the loader and couldn't get the 13rd round in without nearly fracturing my thumb ;). As gregkl said, once fully loaded you have to slam it pretty hard (or at least harder than it should take) to get it to seat...I tried loading 12 in it for carry and it doesn't make much difference in terms of seating the mag....still need some force to get it seated but not quite as much as with 13 in the mag....I was actually a little concerned about the feed with 13 in place due to it being difficult to seat but have never had a FTF to date....hoping it get easier over time...
    My experience exactly. I also use the Uplula.

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    Like a few others I carried the Shield 1 for quite a while. I then went to the P365 for capacity. While it felt good to hold, one issue I had was it seemed to rotate while shooting. I also had a challenge as I needed to change my grip as I would accidentally hit the slide release after shooting a full mag. So now I am back with the Shield Plus and couldn’t be happier. It’s comfortable to me and I have no issues with it. I’ve got fairly large hands and I feel like the Shield fits my hand better. I’ve heard some say the opposite. I have the 3.1” barrel Optics ready version.

Like most I had some difficulty loading to capacity. After my second trip to the range I haven’t had any issues loading to full capacity in the 10, 13 or 15 round magazines

Top Bottom