• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This stainless model "Kit Gun" was introduced in 1977. While it is still in the line up https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-63 it has been "Streamline Engineered" and it is also chambered for 8 rounds. While some say these are benefits I am pretty sure that my King James Version taught me to believe a revolver was not to have more than 6 rounds. As far as Streamline Engineering and manufacturing, the new 63 shares common designs with all other J frames.

Now many of the Jframes shared common parts and platforms, window/cylinder sizes etc all through production, it is important to note the differences in this model. The four inch barrel is a ribbed barrel with a slow taper towards the muzzle. The engineers labored this effort to perfect the balance of this all steel revolver. Another thing S&W has done was to eliminate the attitude that if we are to build a .22 revolver it must be made cheap with cheesy components. This is one well built rimfire revolver that has and will last for generations. You can see the taper in the pic of the underside up against my Southern Yellow Pine Bench. SYP is the ONLY thing to make your bench out of as was taught to me by my lifelong Freind Big Starr. Solid.

The dash 3 production change included the improved yoke design however, as an over built gun for the tiny .22, it may never get used to the point where it will actually add to the longevity of the gun. Nice touch though. Most of my fodder for .22 RimFire is CCI. I love the CB, Shorts, Standard Velocity, Mini Mags, and Velocitors. I do recall however that back in the day when we shot Winchester Longs (sounds like a cigarette I know), that we got some of our best groups out of those rounds as they were not as fast as the LR. Winchester and Remington were our go to .22's in my youth as Cascade Cartridges Inc was considered second grade and it was rare to find CCI at the hardware store. My how this company has evolved to produce very good stuff.

This model 63-3 shoots like a dream. It has the target hammer and trigger perfectly fit and flash chromed for a butter smooth action. Reliable ignition I might add. I won't have a gun that is not reliable. The adjustable sights are easy to pick up and I like the way it fits into my vintage Bianchi 10L Outdoorsman belt holster. Many of you know that I believe every handgun outing deserves a holster. A good quality holster that one is in tune with. There is nothing that screams Casual Gun Owner like a shooter without a holster in the field or on the range. I know that many CGO choose to shoot at an indoor range and some range rules require it must be from the rug, the case, the bag or the platform so may be that is where so many show up at an outdoor range using the same casual attire as no holster. Presenting from a holster takes education, instruction and training so by all means if trainers are scarce or your commitment is low, then stay away from a holster. Now while I would not go after Mr Bear with a .22 Rimfire, I certainly can praise it's power on a farm and rural practice. The shorts do nicely on mice and the Velocitors take Mr. Groundhog without problems. If one doesn't think it may work as a defensive tool, then perhaps one may want to run some tissue tests.

I am always asked how to keep my Stainless guns so clean. I have to thank ZRTS, https://zrtacticalsolutions.com/, as Zach turned me onto ScotchBrite Burgandy pads. They really do good on the carbon build up on the front of the cylinder and minor scratches one may encounter when actually using the gun. Thank you Zach! In the pic of the frame where I removed the grip, one can see the identifier marks of the fitters avatar that was done at the factory for repair tracing should the gun come back in for work. Many used single stamps of initials or emblems and others used a logo like the Heart shape with a 4 inside of it. Remember, these guns were produced by craftsmen and there was pride and responsibility in workmanship. I tip my shot of OLD 55 to the beat of this drum.

This little but solid revolver is a great addition to a family of shooters for youngsters, ladies and full grown sportsman. In a world of rimfire pistols that are engineered as an afterthought to make the price cheap, this model 63 goes the distance and then some. It has been a crazy time in our world and I am afraid it may get crazier yet, but each day I am blessed to forget about Lester Holt and go to the range with a workout on some drills and such. My friend pointed out to me that I do not go out much with a platform that has been introduced after 1975. Don't get me wrong, I have trained, shot, gun smithed, and qualified with the newer polymer designs since 1980 but as Quigley said..."I don't have much use for em." Since I have so many of today's students that have these modern synthetic marvels, I train them with their own gun and if I have to demonstrate I use their piece to say in shape and make a point at the same time. Win Win.

If you can find a vintage 63, snatch it up. It will last you evermore past forever. Saving money and having fun shooting rimfire is a great past time and even more fun since we have eliminated jams and malfunctions by doing our homework. The .22 Rimfire in all it's configurations truly has lived up to a great shooting testament. Amen.

IMG_5080 (002).jpg
    IMG_5120 (002).jpg
    IMG_4958 (002).jpg
    IMG_4984 (002).jpg
    IMG_5133 (002).jpg
    IMG_5150 (002).jpg
    IMG_5176 (002).jpg
    IMG_5211 (002).jpg
    IMG_5215 (002).jpg

IMG_5201 (002).jpg

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Thank you Jim for a great review. I looked for two years for a shooters grade M63 that was reasonably priced. About three years ago I found one at a local gun show late -3 with round butt at Uncle mikes grips. After much haggling done in fun and drawing a small crowd we were still $50 apart. The owner ask if I was a gambler and I stated must be if I am messing with you, he laughed and said lets flip a coin to see who wins this $50 stand off, I won! I also use scotch brite and sometimes Mothers mag polish on stainless guns.
    Keep up the great reviews.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You sir write one great review after another. They remind me of articles I would read as a kid when they had G&A in the school library. Skeeter Skelton. Bill Jordan and the likes. I still say you should submit them to some of the still in print magazine

Top Bottom