• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So a neighbor of mine and I have been going through the baby steps getting him setup for a home defense gun. We shot pistols from 38 snubbies, beretta M9's, glocks, and 1911. When we got to the AR vs AK and he tried them both he decided with the good guy gun and is now looking to buy an AR-15 of his own. Last weekend we went through differences in more detail explaining "pistol" and "brace" versus regular 16" rifle before we assembled a stripped lower into a complete lower. Having gone through all of that, he's still wanting an AR-15 and would like to keep it all wrapped up under a 1K budget. It's been a while since I've been in the market for a new AR and honestly I'm not in the loop anymore. From everything I've ever heard a S&W M&P 15 is a good solid gun, and even in today's market they can be had for around $600 - $700 before shipping & FFL.

Is there any other option I'm missing in that price range? Are the M&P 15's still good to go?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Check out the Springfield Armory Saint series. I have heard good things about them but have zero first hand knowledge. I built all the ones I have ever owned.

I think you can stay a hair under $1K with a Saint.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’ve been watching the M&P rifles trickle through the shop for last 5 years and I gotta say that to me they are one of the more attractive options. I think they are nicer built than some of the other ARs. Quality hasn’t seem to dropped off from what I’ve seen.

Friend bought one, loves it. Customers who buy it, don’t have issues. I shot one last weekend and it ran great. Makes nice tight groups! Good buy. May want to stay away from the models without dust cover. Haven’t seen those for a while but that’s a personal preference of mine.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a Ruger AR 556 MPR which I preferred over the S&W and the saint. Has a couple upgrades over the base AR 556 and was $800 + tax at MY LGS
    Does the Ruger have some non-milspec parts? I thought at one time, I remember hearing they had some part that was there own design. Barrel nut or gas system related??

I'm not saying that's bad. If upgrades are planned on, it may make it more difficult. If it will be kept stock(ish) it will be fine.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Does the Ruger have some non-milspec parts? I thought at one time, I remember hearing they had some part that was there own design. Barrel nut or gas system related??

I'm not saying that's bad. If upgrades are planned on, it may make it more difficult. If it will be kept stock(ish) it will be fine.
    There are supposedly some proprietary parts and I have read that about the barrel nut and how the gas block is pinned. But this is my first AR-15 platform rifle and I am planning to run it and see what I like and don’t. I do not plan on going to war with it (god willing, but from what I have read it should be good for 5-10,000 rounds stock). That said, I am enjoying learning on this rifle and I may never get another, or I may decide to sell this at some point and buy a better rifle. Of course no one knows what the future may hold.

At any rate, after doing a lot of research, getting input from many on INGO I found that between $1000-1500 (my original budget) you got very little ROI over $800-1000. Once you get around $1800 you start getting into so e significant hardware upgrades. of course YMMV.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    5-10,000 rounds sounds like very little usage out of an AR. Do they really wear out that quickly? That would be a year or two with modest shooting.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    5-10,000 rounds sounds like very little usage out of an AR. Do they really wear out that quickly? That would be a year or two with modest shooting.

I mean if we are being realistic I would say most civilian owned AR's never see 500 rounds much less 1,000 especially with ball ammo being 75¢ PR

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I’ve been watching the M&P rifles trickle through the shop for last 5 years and I gotta say that to me they are one of the more attractive options. I think they are nicer built than some of the other ARs. Quality hasn’t seem to dropped off from what I’ve seen.

Friend bought one, loves it. Customers who buy it, don’t have issues. I shot one last weekend and it ran great. Makes nice tight groups! Good buy. May want to stay away from the models without dust cover. Haven’t seen those for a while but that’s a personal preference of mine.
    a buddy has an M&P sport 2 that has had about 800 trouble free rounds through it

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I mean if we are being realistic I would say most civilian owned AR's never see 500 rounds much less 1,000 especially with ball ammo being 75¢ PR
    I am at 400 rounds in 2 months, will run 300 +/- for the class i am taking. I shoot my carry pistols the most, currently playing a lot with my cz 457 22lr, hit sporting clays now and then, the AR and 22 pistol probably see the least shooting currently. FYI I have not paid more than $0.50/rnd for brass fmj .223/5.56

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am at 400 rounds in 2 months, will run 300 +/- for the class i am taking. I shoot my carry pistols the most, currently playing a lot with my cz 457 22lr, hit sporting clays now and then, the AR and 22 pistol probably see the least shooting currently. FYI I have not paid more than $0.50/rnd for brass fmj .223/5.56

That's not bad realistically , though IMHO as average every day people we should be shooting our CCW pistols the most because that is way more than likely the firearm you will have to use in a gunfight. I should have stocked up more in 2016 but 50cpr is still steep IMHO $15 for a 30 round magazine gets expensive fast.

Again commenting on the general public , I would hope your average INGO'er shoots more than your average Tom, Dick or Jane :abused:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Unlined production barrels (Ruger has a cold hammer-forged alloy barrel) start to drop off in accuracy significantly after 10,000 rnds from what I have read.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I gave my uncle a S&W M&P II a few years ago.
    I won it in a raffle at a FNRA banquet.
    I paid $20 for the raffle ticket, and already owned an AR-15 so I passed it on.
    He loves it, although he still doesn't have enough trigger time on it to be proficient.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I'll be that guy:
    PSA upper & lower ~$550
    Red dot ~$150
    Extra Pmags/500rds ammo ~$300
    You seem to always be that guy!

I‘ll play:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've had good luck with S&W M&P Sport II, Aero Precision, PSA and Diamondback. Always prudent to own an AR or ten, but I don't use mine in the home defense role. I've already got tinnitus, I don't need to lose what hearing I've got because of having to fire an AR indoors without hearing protection. Something to think about, YMMV.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You can buy Aero Precision complete upper and complete lower then a good BCG for it and it will be around 1k. Buy it on sale you can get it a little cheaper.

$325

$555

$190

$44

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I always hear about how you can build an AR DIY and on a budget.

The budget part never works out for me.......
    I buy quality parts whenever I see them on sale, and stockpile them if it's a good deal. Then when I get enough to build a rifle I do. Much cheaper than buying complete upper or lower, and with better parts.

I really like the M4E1 upper and lower receivers from Aero. IMO a great base to build from.

Top Bottom