• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Showed some love to the 686 & cleaned it today.
    I just can't believe how you can't see a drag line on the unfluted cylinder.
    Waiting word back from N8 Tactical about a holster from them.
    I was told the production manager might be able to make one.
    I just want holsters that have a full backing for the grip & capacity for it to be tuckable.
    I have the large generic holster but the K frame's trigger guard doesn't have room to slip down into the opening.
    Going to look at wood grips to see if I can find the type that turns my head, which I put on the Beretta Tomcat & 87 Target.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    N8 Tactical doesn't have any tuckable holsters large enough for the Smith K frame.
    I've got a few of their holsters & some are generic but even my largest will not allow the trigger guard to fit down into the elastic.
    Looked at wood grips online anywhere from $60 and sharper ones being closer to $100 w/o getting into the pricier ones.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    N8 Tactical doesn't have any tuckable holsters large enough for the Smith K frame.
    I've got a few of their holsters & some are generic but even my largest will not allow the trigger guard to fit down into the elastic.
    Looked at wood grips online anywhere from $60 and sharper ones being closer to $100 w/o getting into the pricier ones.
    Don't know if typo or not but your 686 is a L frame not a K frame.
    Nice gun by the way.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't know if typo or not but your 686 is a L frame not a K frame.
    Nice gun by the way.
    :scratch:
    I think I got it crossed in my brain with the SW 14-3 I'm selling for a friend that is a K.

Thanks for taking the time to point that out. :thumbsup:

I feel fortunate to have it since I rarely buy something this stunning & it was great getting it from someone I consider a friend here on INGO.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Looks like that nice of a gundeserves great grips . call and talk to John or Jennifer Culina they make beautifull coke profile grips out of exotic & native wood.Google their site

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like that nice of a gundeserves great grips . call and talk to John or Jennifer Culina they make beautifull coke profile grips out of exotic & native wood.Google their site

Thanks for the heads-up, but I don't buy custom grips for my guns: too pricey for my tastes.
    I did look up their site & saw a price of $230 for some custom made grips, but didn't see prices on the others.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Yeah , same here as I was looking for wood grips for my 617 and ended up going with Hogue in Cocobolo . Was $85 but the 617 really takes on a new look which I really like. And the 617 showed its appreciation too by turning in some of its best targets to date! I picked up a second 617 last weekend at a local auction so looks like another set of grips soon to be ordered.

With the short barrel magnums though I still like the rubber grips as most wood grips for me are not nearly as comfortable shooting magnum loads.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I owned a 3-inch 686 in the late eighties. It also had a round butt. After I sold it, I discovered it was an over run from a US Customs order. I believe they only made 5000 or so. One gun I wished I had never sold.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congrats! Nice looking 686+...especially the unfluted cylinder!
    By the time I saw it, it was already 'gone'...dang it!
    I have a 3" GP100...shoots incredibly accurate, but love the looks of the S&W as well!
    So, when you decide you don't like it... :)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I owned a 3-inch 686 in the late eighties. It also had a round butt. After I sold it, I discovered it was an over run from a US Customs order. I believe they only made 5000 or so. One gun I wished I had never sold.
    I'm with you on the 'regret' stage...I once owned a 2.75" Ruger Security-Six that was an absolute tack-driver...traded it for something stupid, which I later sold, but by the time I got back to the FFL a week later (missed him twice due to extended work hours), it had sold that very morning! :(

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm with you on the 'regret' stage...I once owned a 2.75" Ruger Security-Six that was an absolute tack-driver...traded it for something stupid, which I later sold, but by the time I got back to the FFL a week later (missed him twice due to extended work hours), it had sold that very morning! :(

I had a Ruger Security Six like that, that was SS with original grips & a set of large wood grips for around $400 that I should have kept but I bought 3 different $600 dollar guns like the Colt Cobra, GP100 Wiley Clapp edition, both .357s, before I got this Kimber 6s that is the perfect CC, plus I had the Ruger LCR & other .357s as well.

I was lucky to get this one.
    I didn't need it, but it was just such a looker.
    I probably won't keep it for the long run but I had to experience it like the others.
    I couldn't get a tuckable holster like I prefer, so that is a strike against it & I haven't oredered grips for it yet.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Enjoy. I bought one about a year ago this time in 6inch. Like you said, I can't think of any real practical reason to have it other than it's freaking cool.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    See... you just need a 3” model 60.... View attachment 121845

Like this... it’s a 686’s little brother....

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    Interesting. Details?
    I'll immediately check out the site.
    I'm more interested in getting a tuckable holster & have found another besides the N8 Tactical tuckable, but just have no idea if they would fit the bill: I need to post them incase someone had experience with them.
    I have bought wood grips I've loved for $40 & $60 & have found some from $60 - $260 that I like, of course.
    I've been reluctant to buy the $60 in case I wish I'd spent $84, or $130 or $150: it never ends. :dunno:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My model 60 pictures is a 5 shot j-frame in .357. 3” barrel with adjustable sights and a full lug barrel. I added the wood grips versus the Hogue rubber mono grip. It’s pretty comfortable to shoot with either grips.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks! :thumbsup:
    Interesting. Details?
    I'll immediately check out the site.
    I'm more interested in getting a tuckable holster & have found another besides the N8 Tactical tuckable, but just have no idea if they would fit the bill: I need to post them incase someone had experience with them.
    I have bought wood grips I've loved for $40 & $60 & have found some from $60 - $260 that I like, of course.
    I've been reluctant to buy the $60 in case I wish I'd spent $84, or $130 or $150: it never ends. :dunno:
    I tried the N8 route as well for mine too but didn't have any luck. Please keep us posted on where you find a tuckable holster.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried the N8 route as well for mine too but didn't have any luck. Please keep us posted on where you find a tuckable holster.
    I would definitely post up if I found something that worked.
    I've been so busy getting with other range projects that I haven't gone down that road of spending more money on it.

After seeing how I spent so much money in 2020 on the hobby, I'm trying to be a good boy this year.
    At least sell a gun or two before buying holsters or grips: both of which I want for that gun!

Top Bottom