• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That 4586 sure does look to be shot very little. Got her home and put 4rds through her before cleaning. I also finally got around to cleaning the cs9d and 3953tsw I traded for back in dec. I might have to start putting that 4586 in my carry rotation in addition to my 649-5. Till next year now to add another 3rd gen to my collection.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Not much on my end as far as 3rd gen buying has gone, but been watching gb and seeing 4506's sell for 850 and up with most averaging around 950 makes me wish I had bought another years ago for 550.

I do need to one day print out the complete 3rd gen list off the S&W forum and check mark those I own. I also have to update my personal log and give S&W a call again for some dates of pistols I wrote down but misplaced.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Not much on my end as far as 3rd gen buying has gone, but been watching gb and seeing 4506's sell for 850 and up with most averaging around 950 makes me wish I had bought another years ago for 550.

I do need to one day print out the complete 3rd gen list off the S&W forum and check mark those I own. I also have to update my personal log and give S&W a call again for some dates of pistols I wrote down but misplaced.
    It wasn't even years ago, at one of the 1500's shortly before corona I saw a nice one there around 550.00.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    For some reason though they have appreciated fairly quickly vs some of the other 45 models.
    It seems the 4506 has jumped. But my question to those who search more than I can: do the -1’s fetch more or less.
    seems previous it was tilted away from them. But recently the -1 has been higher than normal.
    I don’t have a -1 so…

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So got my max bid currently on a 3rd gen that was only made one year and roughly 1100 made. It's a S&W 4056TSW all steel compact DAO 40cal. Comes with original box, papers, and 2 mags. Appears to match the description of being a 98% condition wise pistol.

Just under 3 days to go so won't win unless the S&W 3rd gen gods are looking down on me with favor. My max bid is only $40 from being overtaken.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here's a 4586 with box if anyone needs one:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Whenever I see a SW 3rd Gen in the Classifieds, I always look, research, & am tempted. :)
    Prices are healthier than I've had to pay in the past, but there have been a couple lately that made me sweat, but I'm in a "trimming" mode again & held back since the price was healthy. :spend:

I sold 3 guns in a week & felt empowered to pick up a SW 469 1980s 2nd Gen in the Classifieds.
    It wasn't stainless & had only 1 mag, had some marks on it & was not a 3rd gen, but the price tempted me.

Previous owner said his wife put 20 rounds through it & decided it wasn't for her.
    I put 11 rounds through it with the 1st magazine I shot.
    Shot low like all SW 3rd gens did in my hand, haha! :ugh:
    I noticed the sideplate assembly was pivoted way up out of position from normal.
    Most of sideplate is under the grip with the "top bar" or section of it being in a straight line & in back of the slide stop.
    Odd. :scratch:
    I pushed the sideplate back into place & fired 8 more rounds.
    Then it stopped firing & I kept pulling the trigger in D/A mode.
    Even though I could continue to pull the trigger in D/A mode with a round in the chamber, there was no contact.
    At first, I thought a round didn't chamber, but it had & I tried multiple rounds.
    There was no strike on any of the rounds I tried firing off.
    The safety/decocker also would not move & I assumed both issues were linked.
    Strange.
    At home I took the grips off & saw that the sideplate had a missing piece broken off that should have been parallel to a piece there (see pics).
    You can see that the sideplate fits anchored & fitting on each side of a pin which holds it in place under the grip.

When I did take the gripes off the back plate popped off & sent the mainspring flying off the stirrup with the mainspring plunger flying on the floor with it.

I also found a fragment of metal an inch long, which indicates something else is compromised.
    Pics below.
    I don't want to take the pin apart holding the sideplate & start counting parts to see what is missing b/c
    I'd never get it back together again. :wallbash:
    I know the sideplate (#66 on diagram), is only $16, but I don't know what else needs replaced b/c of that fragment.
    It is work I'll have to find someone do for me since I'm not a wannabe gunsmith. :laugh6:

Normal sideplate
    sideplate with grips on in correct position 1 of 4.jpg

sideplate moving up (not supposed to do that)
    sideplate with grips on rising 2 of 4.jpg

sideplate higher
    sideplate with grips on rising more 3 of 4.jpg

Sideplate all the way up.
    You can see where there is a missing broken bottom piece parallel the top piece.
    sideplate with grips on & can see where missing piece would be parallel 4 of 4.jpg

grips off, easy to see missing piece broken off & missing.
    sideplate 1.jpg

sideplate in proper position with pin sticking up suppose to be
    in the middle of a right & left piece but right piece missing.
    sideplate 2.jpg

mainspring over stirrup
    mainspring on stirrup.jpg

mainspring inserted into mainspring plunger in place on backstrap
    where it is ready to snap into frame on grip.
    mainspring.jpg

mainspring plunger
    mainspring plunger 1.jpg

nice diagram with numbers for ordering parts
    larger diagram.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom