• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Thats common to see when someone forces the grips on or off. It breaks that prong eventually. Its also an easy fix. You need 2 slave pins and very carefully on the other side insert and push till the slave pins are even with the side plate side. Insert the new side plate and try to push the pins out evenly.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thats common to see when someone forces the grips on or off. It breaks that prong eventually. Its also an easy fix. You need 2 slave pins and very carefully on the other side insert and push till the slave pins are even with the side plate side. Insert the new side plate and try to push the pins out evenly.
    Thanks for speaking up! :thumbsup:
    I found a video that shows a complete disassembly & reassembly of the SW 469, but the photography is lousy & I can't really be sure what is going on in the details.
    Not enough for me to try it since I have no experience.
    I feel like a gunsmith just getting the grips off & on since I still sent the mainspring & its plunger flying, haha! :ugh:
    Also, it's complicated by the fact that I found a metal "fragment" about an inch long & 1/8" in diameter with rounded & flat edges & wonder what it belongs to & what else might be missing or compromised? :scratch:
    I was afraid that taking out the pin for the sideplate would reveal that the hammer or something else was on that same pin & I'd end up with parts not knowing where they go, like when I put together our big computer desk years ago. :lmfao:

The gunsmith I have used in the past working out of his garage, Jeff, from J.M. Gunsmithing, that lived near Wanamaker, has moved to French Lick & opened up a shop there, unfortunately for me! :wallbash:
    His prices were great, reflecting working out of his garage, and I was grateful for him.

I'm hoping someone here who is a fan & experiences with the older SW generations will take an interest & help or suggest someone that can take a look at it, order the sideplate & whatever else is needed upon inspection & install the parts.
    I would be glad to pay a "friends & family" fee for such. :ingo:
    If not, I'll have to find out where the SW people take their older guns for work.

Evidently, this company has the parts for the 469:
    Gun Parts Mumrich Corproration/gunpartscorp.com

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    A 1006 and 2 1066s. Probably going to lighten the load and get an M&P in 10mm. Imagine that, not having to lay in a supply of different ammunition with the new gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up on my SW 469 that I took it to the range, but it wouldn't shoot after 20 rounds.
    The sideplate was broken & protruding up from the left grip.
    I ordered one & had a friend, Zackcz with some gunsmithing skills install it, cleaned it & it has had 50 rounds put through as a function check.
    He won't accept money, so I "tip" him in ammo. :lmfao:

Zachcz also discovered that the 1" x 1/8" metal fragment was really a plastic tab that enabled the left side of the grip to "snap" in place.
    Oddly enough, there is no screw holding the one-piece grip on, just "tabs" (like the one that broke) that permit the grips to "snap/lock" in.
    Strange, not seen that before.
    Presently looking for grips to order for it.
    This tank of a gun will make a fine house gun.

You can see the gap on the left side since the "snap" is broken & won't "snug-up."
    pic of grips broken on left side.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting stuff, Gary. It's nice to have a friend like Zachcz ! :thumbsup:
    He has been such a good friend to me over the years.
    Once, I had SW Victory having issues extracting a spent shell (I think that was the problem), & he had me drop it off on my way home from the range.
    He knew of the problem & had the extractor realigned before I got home.
    He had the exact same thing happen to him before & I guess it is not uncommon.
    I've had 4 or 5 Victorys but never had run into that issue before.

We have bought & sold guns between us multiple times.
    He gets me lit up on some .22LR pistol I didn't know existed, like the SW 422 that I've had before just b/c he had one, I shot it, & had to buy my own. :lmfao:
    I had sold that one & just recently bought another 422 he had b/c I regretted selling the one I had.
    SW 422, a sleeper gun that shoots very well. 3.02.2022 Zach SW 422 at Range.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg its fairly common for those tabs to break when someone forces them on. Grips should be easy to find.
    Ordered from robertsontradingpost.com :thumbsup:
    I've dealt with them before when I wanted hard-to-find larger grips for a Heritage 16" single-action revolver that were originally made for a different gun, a Colt, if I remember correctly. :scratch:

Couldn't decide whether to get white ivory, OD green or just black. :coffee:
    Didn't want to get boring black & really wanted OD green, but decided to just be safe with black. :dunno:
    If this was a perfect looking gun, I'd gotten white just for fun, but thought it would be over-the-top for a drawer gun. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg its fairly common for those tabs to break when someone forces them on. Grips should be easy to find.
    I found out today from Zachcz that you must first put on the backstrap before putting on the grips.
    If you try to do grips first, it makes sense that the plastic tabs get snapped off, like on the left grip of mine.
    Plan to go to the range tomorrow & put 50 more function-check rounds through it, then put it to use as a bedroom drawer gun.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    He has been such a good friend to me over the years.
    Once, I had SW Victory having issues extracting a spent shell (I think that was the problem), & he had me drop it off on my way home from the range.
    He knew of the problem & had the extractor realigned before I got home.
    He had the exact same thing happen to him before & I guess it is not uncommon.
    I've had 4 or 5 Victorys but never had run into that issue before.

We have bought & sold guns between us multiple times.
    He gets me lit up on some .22LR pistol I didn't know existed, like the SW 422 that I've had before just b/c he had one, I shot it, & had to buy my own. :lmfao:
    I had sold that one & just recently bought another 422 he had b/c I regretted selling the one I had.
    SW 422, a sleeper gun that shoots very well. View attachment 192473
    I traded a well worn Rossi .38 snub for this one about 12 years ago. Original box and 4 mags. I love them and everyone who shoots it does too.

Attachments

• 20220403_212433.jpg
      20220403_212433.jpg
      450.8 KB · Views: 10
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Original box with 4 mags for a Rossi .38 snubbie: I'm impressed! :thumbsup:
    I see the adjustable target sights also!
    Also has a threaded barrel. I just answered a Ad on Armslist back when it was worth looking at. Wanted to trade for a carry pistol. Like you said above they are sleepers for sure.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Just picked up a 915 in a trade. While not the most desirable of the bunch, I'm quite happy with it.

What are people generally doing for holsters? Preferably Kydex, AIWB, and if possible a OWB option compatible with Safariland QLS.

Granted, I'm aware both of those trends are far newer than the firearm, so I know that I may have to go custom; but figured someone may have an insight as to who may stock something of that nature.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Just picked up a 915 in a trade. While not the most desirable of the bunch, I'm quite happy with it.

What are people generally doing for holsters? Preferably Kydex, AIWB, and if possible a OWB option compatible with Safariland QLS.

Granted, I'm aware both of those trends are far newer than the firearm, so I know that I may have to go custom; but figured someone may have an insight as to who may stock something of that nature.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

All 3rd Gen's deserve some good leather. Mine rides nice in this Bianchi ..... they should have something for yours. :)

i-cPCsSC3-L.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom