• 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Hey 1775usmarine!
    I thought of you when I was trying to find this thread!

Follow up: I just tried both & they fit perfectly for me: nice & tight & the thumb strap connects (snaps) good.
    I am pleased!
    I got an OWB holster with it so I'm set.

Getting ready to stop at a friend house in Shelbyville & pick up a 22 pistol & rifle to shoot (the pistol I bought last night for him), just for fun.
    So, I got my new 6964 & friend's 2 guns to shoot & a couple more of mine, so it looks like a 3-4 range visit, which is good b/c my wife is in work mode & I have to hide. :laugh:

I figured you'd know where the gun came from since you keep your eye on anything SW 3rd gen.
    Full report with my boring range pics will ensue.

I always call S&W and try to get manufacturer date since I like knowing how old the ones I get are, especially those that are in excellent condition.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Was able to secure a trade deal and 2 more 3rd gen adoptees will be joining their extended family.

With my personality, I knew not to go down the road to collecting SW 3rd gens.
    You are one of the reasons: I could see where it would lead. :laugh:
    I collected silver dollars for every year they made they in this country.
    That wasn't to bad, but trying to upgrade for ones in better condition was bottomless

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoyed my range time with the 6946.
    It is just a little smaller than the SW 5906: 1/2" here & there & 11.5 oz lighter.

specs:
    Length: 7-in (5906: 7.5")
    Height: No Data
    Barrel: 3.5-in (5906: 4")
    Weight: 26.5-oz (5096: 38 oz)
    Produced: 1990 - 1999
    Caliber: 9 mm
    Action: recoil operated semi-automatic
    Trigger: double-action only (DAO) (5906: DA/SA)
    Safety: no manual safety
    Magazine: 12-round (5906: 15 rd)
    Frame: aluminum alloy (5906: stainless steel)
    Grip: curved backstrap wrap-around
    Sights: Novak Lo-Mount (5906: 3 dot)
    Notes: stainless steel slide

These were my very 1st 40 rounds with it.
    Top & middle were on a rest: the bottom (#3 & #5) was free hand.
    1st rounds were on the head, with the last shots in the heart on torso where the "+" is drawn.
    You can see me improving a little (till I went free hand). :dunno:
    DAO trigger not as smooth & light as the Kahr CT9 that I really liked & which I'd kept.
    Previous owner said he shot high & to the right but I had a tendency to go low like with my two 5906.
    leNhW2z.jpg

g8YHCMg.png

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Practice makes perfect. Comparing the 6906 to my Taurus G3C they are very close dimensionally, though the Taurus weighs 6oz less and is a bit thinner.. Both hold the same and both allow the use of high cap mags from their bigger brothers. I do shoot better with the G3C than the 6906 at 25 but that was before I realized I need to shoot everything left handed not just rifles as Im left eye dominant. Though the 6906 I have is around a 95% for condition wise and would hate to shoot at the range and want to ditch the g3c.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Can't wait to get my hands on those "new" 3rd gens. Looks like a family road trip will take place when the day comes. That'll allow me to inspect them on the 3hr ride back home.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got my 2 new to me 3rd gens yesterday. Which now ups my number to 16 factory 3rd gens and 1 hodge podge franken 5906 short slide clone.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Im startng to become more selective as the models become a bit rarer. Quality over quantity

I totally get it. I'd probably be willing to move on from at least half of the ones I have, maybe a bit more. Already dumped 2 of the 10mm models, and some of my 45's. I'll probably clear out the rest of the 45 sooner than later.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was just thinking today how glad I am back having a SW 3rd gen with my 6946 purchase from a member a couple of weeks ago. :)
    I got interested in the 3rd gen Smiths reading & learning from this thread over 2 years ago. :coffee:
    I bought a 5906 online b/c a member posted a link for me. :thumbsup:
    I had processed about it for months trying to resist the world of SW 3rd gens.
    Later, I bought another 5906 from a member b/c I preferred it's profile. :ingo:

Next, I found the "coveted" rear adjustable sights on a 4006 40 caliber model for a great price I couldn't pass up that opportunity. :dunno:
    It showed some finish wear but that didn't bother me since I wasn't looking to be a collector.
    I let the 1st one go to pay for the 2nd.
    I got into one of my selling frenzies & sold the 2nd one.
    3rd got eliminated when I was trimming calibers. :facepalm:
    I regretted letting all 3 slip through my fingers. :nono:
    I have wished many times that I had kept at least 1 of the classic 3rd gens. :wallbash:
    I have continued reading this thread envying those who had many variations-on-a-theme of the 3rd gens finding it fascinating.
    I was thrilled to have the opportunity to get the 6946 a couple of weeks ago in the Classifieds to make amends & restore balance to my world. :rockwoot:

The 6946 is a little smaller in every way compared to the 5906, but not sure about width. :scratch:
    I'm totally fine with it being a "compact" version of the 5906.
    An added bonus for me is the DAO trigger in the 6946, since I've grown to like that in a CC.
    Having held onto the two leather holsters (IWB & OWB) for the 5906 was a bonus when I realized they fit the 6946.
    I even had a non-specific brand version of N8 Tactical tuckable holsters that a member recommended to me that fits like a glove as an added bonus.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The widths are the same between the 5900 series and the 6900 series

I just knew you'd know! :thumbsup:
    The 6946 felt like what I remembered from the 5906.

Weren't you the one who put me on to my 1st 5906 with that link for $450 from somewhere online?
    In rereading this thread, I realize that link was for $350 5906s.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom